User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Voluhzia OP
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
Yamaha Tenere 250

What are the chances this will be sold here in the US? Anybody heard anything? It's sold in Brazil, as far as I know.

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,969
zero as is. that's a bike bike for SA.
we like our 250s to be dirtbikes.
now if yamaha put the wr250r motor in there and punched it out a bit & upgraded the suspension.
...oh man that would be cool

i'd expect to see the 660 one day in the US.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
homelessbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I didn't know there was a Tiny Tenere.
I was daydreaming about the Super Tenere being my next new bike, until I saw the Triumph Tiger 800.
Now if there was a Tenere 750 with 6 gears, that would be my next new bike.
I haven't ridden a Tenee 650, but based on the lack of 6th gear, I'm not sure it would do that great on long distance interstate rides.
homelessbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessbiker View Post
I was daydreaming about the Super Tenere being my next new bike, until I saw the Triumph Tiger 800.
I haven't ridden a Tenee 650, but based on the lack of 6th gear, I'm not sure it would do that great on long distance interstate rides.
taking a 660 tenere long distances on an interstate in the first place?
why would you bike a bike for interstate work in the first place?
i hear goldwings are nice.
Butler Maps website:
Old 01-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #5
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Because it can be done: I ride a 660 Tenere and it runs pretty smooth on the highway, doin' 120-130kmh at 4500-5000rpm, njema problema! The longest stretch was a 800km ride from the Polish border back home to Holland, only stopping for gas and coffee and it perfomed just fine! It's not my favorite ridin', but it can be done, even though it's a thumper.....
Greetz, Hans.

P.s.: oh yeah, the little Tenere is just for the South-American market, so far....

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
andyhol
volcano rider

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessbiker View Post
I got a 750 Tenere, it's 'super'. Only 5 gears but not really any need for 6th.

On the subject of the new 660, it's actually quite smooth at highway speed. Way better than a big single has a right to be...
Old 01-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastx View Post
Because it can be done: I ride a 660 Tenere and it runs pretty smooth on the highway, doin' 120-130kmh at 4500-5000rpm, njema problema! The longest stretch was a 800km ride from the Polish border back home to Holland, only stopping for gas and coffee and it perfomed just fine! It's not my favorite ridin', but it can be done, even though it's a thumper.....
Greetz, Hans.

P.s.: oh yeah, the little Tenere is just for the South-American market, so far....
i was replying to the homelessbike type of hiway which in the US is long, wide, straight and very boring. my assumption is he is in casa grande, arizona. no doubt you have some of the same, but US hiway system is huge and mind numbing (especially the western stuff he is talking about) and not a place you want to ride a bike unless you absolutely need to.

i didn't doubt the tenere could do it either. i've pushed my dr hard for hours on end with no issue and i would expect nothing less from yamaha.

we all need to run the hiway from time to time to get somewhere, but my comment was focused on you should not buy a tenere (which is not even here yet) if hiway time is a factor. even the super tenere (which is coming) which has a larger engine is still not a hiway bike. if the factor in bike selection is hiway use then he should look at a touring bike not a adv bike.

his comment was i'm not interested in this because this is not a hiway bike (only 5spd). the tenere was NEVER designed as a hiway bike. geez yamaha used pictures & video from morocco to intro the bike, not pics of it running the autobahn. anyway if he reads the 5sp vrs 6spd thread the gearbox might not matter either way.
Butler Maps website:
Old 01-22-2011, 12:55 AM   #8
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i was replying to the homelessbike type of hiway which in the US is long, wide, straight and very boring. my assumption is he is in casa grande, arizona. no doubt you have some of the same, but US hiway system is huge and mind numbing (especially the western stuff he is talking about) and not a place you want to ride a bike unless you absolutely need to.

i didn't doubt the tenere could do it either. i've pushed my dr hard for hours on end with no issue and i would expect nothing less from yamaha.

we all need to run the hiway from time to time to get somewhere, but my comment was focused on you should not buy a tenere (which is not even here yet) if hiway time is a factor. even the super tenere (which is coming) which has a larger engine is still not a hiway bike. if the factor in bike selection is hiway use then he should look at a touring bike not a adv bike.

his comment was i'm not interested in this because this is not a hiway bike (only 5spd). the tenere was NEVER designed as a hiway bike. geez yamaha used pictures & video from morocco to intro the bike, not pics of it running the autobahn. anyway if he reads the 5sp vrs 6spd thread the gearbox might not matter either way.
Okay, point taken, I only wanted to show, although it wasn´t designed for highway use, it can be done, therefore it´s truly an allround allroad bike and I don´t need a bigger bike(or more performance for that matter too!) to do what I do.....(or smaller for that matter, to stay on-topic!).
Greetz, Hans.

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:59 AM   #9
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastx View Post
Okay, point taken, I only wanted to show, although it wasn´t designed for highway use, it can be done, therefore it´s truly an allround allroad bike and I don´t need a bigger bike(or more performance for that matter too!) to do what I do.....(or smaller for that matter, to stay on-topic!).
Greetz, Hans.
i'm with you
... can't wait to own one myself one day.
Butler Maps website:
Old 04-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
Skunkworks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
What are the chances this will be sold here in the US? Anybody heard anything? It's sold in Brazil, as far as I know.

I just bought one....
My first impression is that its basically a xt 250 modified for on off use,
factory risers, wind shield, confy seats...
It saved moe some $ on tweaking a Lander (xt250). BTW its the same frame, engine, only some mods on the suspension.

On the road:
Well, it cruises great maintains speed up hills, handles potholes VERY nicely, and can carry some wight without having to worry about cracking the frame.
I REALLY want to put panniers on it, (homemade....must not spend $ or else wont have $ for trip)
If anyone can suggest how i can make pannier racks Id appreciate it. Ive googled a bit but never tinkered.
Cheers
Skunkworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Hi Skunkworks,

well get some photos posted so we can see what she looks like!

As for the pannier frames, I bought a second hand set designed for a Suzuki 650 Bandit and they fitted my 225 with a bit of modification.

Also check out the frame on the 250, as the design of the 225 Japan and 225 Brazil differ in loads of ways, so don't assume that a rack designed for the 250 Serow will fit your lovely 250 Tenere.

Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
troyfromtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkworks View Post
I just bought one....
My first impression is that its basically a xt 250 modified for on off use,
factory risers, wind shield, confy seats...
It saved moe some $ on tweaking a Lander (xt250). BTW its the same frame, engine, only some mods on the suspension.

On the road:
Well, it cruises great maintains speed up hills, handles potholes VERY nicely, and can carry some wight without having to worry about cracking the frame.
I REALLY want to put panniers on it, (homemade....must not spend $ or else wont have $ for trip)
If anyone can suggest how i can make pannier racks Id appreciate it. Ive googled a bit but never tinkered.
Cheers
I own a 2009 xt250. I'd be curious if the 4 gallon tank can be bolted on to my xt and how much the tank and fairing might cost in Brazil.

www.theadventurebegins.tv
2011 Suzuki DR650
troyfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
i'm on the cell. So no pics right now. Look at the XT 350 thread and see my soft panniers. $46 US.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
doug01n
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi guys...
First post here. I'm Douglas, from São Paulo, Brasil.

My XTZ 250 Ténéré is completing 10.000km now (i got it on February 1st), and I'm loving the bike...

Here we have high taxes, and the price of cars and bikes here are soooo, sooooo high that it's impressive: A Super Tenere here costs something like R$60.000,00 (arround U$38,000.00)... That gives you an idea of the prices here in Brazil...

The bike is awesome for a 250cc: 21hp, 2,1kgf of torq... and a well done transmission gear. We can mantain 110km/h, with max of 140km/h without wind, motor at 9.000RPM.

This is me, buying a tank bag:

The pannel with the GPS:

I'll put some pictures of some modified 250 Teneres from some friends here:

Hope you guys enjoy it, and if do you have any questions, I'll be glad to help!
doug01n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #15
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug01n View Post
Hi guys...
First post here. I'm Douglas, from São Paulo, Brasil.

My XTZ 250 Ténéré is completing 10.000km now (i got it on February 1st), and I'm loving the bike...

Here we have high taxes, and the price of cars and bikes here are soooo, sooooo high that it's impressive: A Super Tenere here costs something like R$60.000,00 (arround U$38,000.00)... That gives you an idea of the prices here in Brazil...

The bike is awesome for a 250cc: 21hp, 2,1kgf of torq... and a well done transmission gear. We can mantain 110km/h, with max of 140km/h without wind, motor at 9.000RPM.

This is me, buying a tank bag:

The pannel with the GPS:

I'll put some pictures of some modified 250 Teneres from some friends here:

Hope you guys enjoy it, and if do you have any questions, I'll be glad to help!
Wow