User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #136
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,243
Oh sweet, Kilimonjaro's back on?!

Sounds like you've done everything you can with that fuel system on the KTM. I'm assuming you mapped everything post-mods and the dealership did all they could. I suppose a few miles lower mpg is a small price to pay for a bike that runs.

So. This Marvel-ous story about the Amazing Debit Card of D00m...... Sounds like an apropos continuation to your story so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #137
Fishfund OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
Oh sweet, Kilimonjaro's back on?!

Sounds like you've done everything you can with that fuel system on the KTM. I'm assuming you mapped everything post-mods and the dealership did all they could. I suppose a few miles lower mpg is a small price to pay for a bike that runs.

So. This Marvel-ous story about the Amazing Debit Card of D00m...... Sounds like an apropos continuation to your story so far.

Nick, you are getting called out for the Marvels story. Let's hear it.
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #138
Skrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
+10 if Luke has video of Nick dancing when he loses the wallet!

Some truly epic pictures and commentary! Any ideas as to why the fuel consumption might be high? Mapping off?
Skrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #139
Fishfund OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrow View Post
+10 if Luke has video of Nick dancing when he loses the wallet!

Some truly epic pictures and commentary! Any ideas as to why the fuel consumption might be high? Mapping off?
I really opened her up and let her breath with the air box removal and new exhaust. Then to add to it, It was remapped with the Avoc mapping at KTM Cape Town when we were trying to get it running. The new map lets her run like she is supposed to. So now that she gets more airflow, she wants more fuel too. I kind of want to cork her back up to save on my fuel bill.

The stock map is really lean because of emissions.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #140
Fishfund OP
Studly Adventurer

Today was really awesome. It started with Mr. Nick cooking up some breakfast while I broke down camp.

Eggs, onion and sausage really good!

I really don't know how to put this approprratly, and their may not be a way to do so, so I will just tell you this story as it happened. I hope you can look at this with a scientific eye as I did.
I had to poop so I did. It had hardly hit the ground when 3 beetles ran right over and started checking it out. So I started checking out the beatles checking out my poop. What they were doing was eating it, or so I thought at first. Now this is kind of normal. bugs like poop and you always see them on or near it, but what these beatles were doing was different they were carving out small balls out of the main log. Once they got a small ball free they would work it over and over until it was round enough for their satisfaction and then roll it through the desert.

Carving the rough shape

The one on the right was much faster

Then roll it out

These guys really were amazing, and good at what they do. We followed this guy about 40 feet and he showed no signs of slowing down soon. I have never heard of these beatles before. I think these are different than the "dung beatles" I learned about in school. One mans trash another mans treasure. Nature is pretty cool.

Moving on....
Today we have to crank out some miles to get to Timmer in time. We are already out in the middle of nowhere. about 80 miles of dirt until the closest paved road. The road started off dry, but transfered to this as we moved north. We are finding out we are hitting the rainy season.

This is awesome, this is the stuff we were looking for. The more we ride the less fuel our tanks have. We pull out the GPS to look for the closest gas station and find one 60 ish miles away. We only have about 60 ish miles of gas. So then next 60ish miles are not fast anymore. We are now riding at optimal gas milage speed which is around 50-55. We get here and find the river flooded and the road closed.

That's ok though. For occasions like this they open up the dam bridge for traffic.

30 miles down the road and we finally get to pavement. Now only 15 miles to the gas station. Nick stops to fill his main tank with his spare tank. I just cross my fingers. Now these guys show up.

They are from the UK and have been traveling for 4 months now. They did Egypt and said it is impossible without a Carinet. We will see about that. We chatted for a good 15 minutes and had a great time. They advised us of good places to see and others to pass through. I couldn't help but keep noticing how lowed their bike was. We laughed about our struggles and wished each other the best. I love running into people like this. They are always so positive and supportive of everything.

We pulled into town and got gas before we ran out. The grocery store was next, and on the way there I got called out by a cop driving by for not having my lights on. (noted: lights on always in Namabia.) as we pulled up to the store a couple of kids were trying to tell us where to park and everyone was staring. AKA we couldn't leave our bikes alone here. Nick ran in to look lunch options. It was pretty slim, so I ran in to get the potatoes, onion, garlic and banana's tonights meal. Onward to a place where we can eat in peace. 60 miles down the road we reach a really small town and stop for a coke and frozen sauage. They said the water was clean so we filled up for the night. I hold 10 liters and nick holds 8. We are finding out that's really enough just for one day with cooking and staying hydrated.

This was the only store. Not much of a town here and I always wonder what people do for money. There were kids running around and waving, pushing their little cards, made out of wire and peanut buttle lids as wheels. The kids asked for our empty glass bottles so we gave them away. They are happy to get the deposit back from them.

Ok, break time is over, back on the road for an hour or so. We get gas drink a milkshake at Whimpy burger (I don't understand the name either)

back on te road, through a check point. We just smile real big and show our driver licenses. Joke a bit and we are off again. More gas, then we turn off the paved road to a dirt road hoping to find a emptry area to camp for the night. It will be dark in about an hour so we just haul down the road looking for a spot.

Hmm...Now what?

We wade across first to see how deep it is.

ok, it's actually pretty shallow.

So this is perfect, we will cross the water then just camp on the other side. I'm going to set up my camera gear first though. Not as easy as it sounds.

*Set up camera A on your current side ready to film.
*Get helmet camera B set-up
*Walk across set-up camera C and press record
*Run back, start camera A, put on riding gear, start helmet camera B
*Drive across
*Shut off camera B and Camera C
*Take off riding gear, run back across, shut off Camera A
*Walk back with camera A

During the begining of this process, these guys stopped and asked if we were ok, We are fine, we just want to film this. They said that's cool, where are you staying tonight? We just pointed to the other side and said we would pitch a tent. They said when we have crossed to come to their farm. They are only 5 kilometers away . First place on the left. This is awesome news. Free safe place to camp for the night. We finish up the filming and take off.

I walked though there 6 times in my underwear and didn't get bit by a snake once.

We arrive at the farm, and this is where I am typing this up. The story of the farm will be next. We did the last three updates tonight while charging batterys and cooking and taking showers. Everything is now ready to be uploaded to the internet once we find a connection. Who knows when that will be. Anyway. We have been busy solid for hours. It is now 2:45 A.M. I'm going to bed.

What a Awesome Day!
-Nite
Old 02-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #141
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Dung beetles are beetles that feed partly or exclusively on feces. All of these species belong to the superfamily Scarabaeoidea; most of them to the subfamilies Scarabaeinae and Aphodiinae of the family Scarabaeidae. This beetle can also be referred to as the scarab beetle. As most species of Scarabaeinae feed exclusively on feces, that subfamily is often dubbed true dung beetles. There are dung-feeding beetles which belong to other families, such as the Geotrupidae (the earth-boring dung beetle). The Scarabaeinae alone comprises more than 5,000 species.[1]
Many dung beetles, known as rollers, are noted for rolling dung into spherical balls, which are used as a food source or brooding chambers. Other dung beetles, known as tunnelers, bury the dung wherever they find it. A third group, the dwellers, neither roll nor burrow: they simply live in manure. They are often attracted by the dung burrowing owls collect.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:55 AM   #142
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,500
Dung and Kilimanjaro

When I read you are going to Kilmanjaro I had to laugh at myself.
The closest I'll ever get to it is my First Gear Kilimanjaro Jacket
So take me there Luke.

Loved the dung beetles. Just part of nature. We get to see it all here---not some fluffed over story---we get it all.

Mark
BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:35 AM   #143
Skrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
WoW! In the name of science...... I'd have to say that is the first I've seen in a RR.

Great pictures! Is this a motorbike or motorboat?

Skrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:43 AM   #144
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,243
Ah, you and your poop pics.

Dung beetles are pretty cool from a scientific standpoint - I'm too much of a girl not to freak if they scurried toward me but their actions are neat. Nature truly has a use for everything. :)

Glad things are going well, look forward to more adventures!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #145
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfund View Post

Great to see you on the road. You guys set the standard for not flipping out when things don't start out as you planned.

Homemade fuel transport system or is that commercially available? It looks similar to the Pegpacker style but seems different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfund View Post

Lights on!!

2008 YAMAHA FJR
pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #146
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
I was hoping you would post poop pics again!
Yeah me too. Good to see all the nay-sayers didn't get you down on the last report.

I think its interesting.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #147
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr View Post
Yeah me too. Good to see all the nay-sayers didn't get you down on the last report.

I think its interesting.

I also think it's interesting. Lots of riders take pics of what they eat during their adventures. But normally it's before not after.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #148
misanthropic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Wimpy burger? Maybe Wimpy from Popeye. "I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." Great report.
misanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:58 PM   #149
Not Fragile
n00b

Oddometer: 9
maybe just a bit more fiber for the science experiment?
Not Fragile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #150
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by misanthropic View Post
Wimpy burger? Maybe Wimpy from Popeye. "I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." Great report.
That is spot on. Wimpy burgers started in England many years ago, named after Wimpy. My dad used to talk about them.

Luke, its good to get the real "scoop" again. Go dood!!
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote