Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #766
KnuckC
F8er

Oddometer: 199
Too bad you had such a negative experience in Africa. I guess tourism has really affected the culture. I wonder if it is still possible to experience traditional Africa. From your report it would appear not.
KnuckC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #767
Fitty
Shopping cart rider

Oddometer: 209
I'm only a little way into this so it may have been mentioned already, but I wonder where this guy got that shirt. Ponchatoula is a town north of New Orleans across the lake. They have an annual strawberry festival, which the shirt also has on it. I'm guessing a church mission group or something. Small world.

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #768
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
I'm only a little way into this so it may have been mentioned already, but I wonder where this guy got that shirt. Ponchatoula is a town north of New Orleans across the lake. They have an annual strawberry festival, which the shirt also has on it. I'm guessing a church mission group or something. Small world.

You will see a lot of overstocked items in other countries. I remember seeing a whole container once of Superbowl Champion t-shirts for the losing team. Guess they have to make up both shirts to have them ready to sell but what do you do w/ the loser shirts?

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #769
Fishfund OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
small world for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post

Extra small world. Another inmate on here already called out that shirt saying he lives close to that town.

And then later on in the story, I find a guy wearing a Grand Rapids, Michigan jacket. That's just two hours away from my hometown.
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:48 AM   #770
Fishfund OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter View Post
What's your route up north? Coming through Russia?

Romania, Moldova, Ukraine, Russia, Norway.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:53 AM   #771
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfund View Post
Romania, Moldova, Ukraine, Russia, Norway.
When you get closer let me know if you need a place to crash in Moscow, I live right in the center. Sounds like you'll be moving pretty fast the rest of the way, not much time left till June 9?
Old 05-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #772
Fishfund OP
Studly Adventurer

Turkish bath

We went to a Turkish bath in Istanbul. I think the guy was messing with us.

I'm not sure if this is family safe

We decide to check out a Turkish Bath in Istanbul.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #773
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,283
OMG...too freaking funny guys!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #774
SleazyRider
Desolate Loner

Oddometer: 160
Hey dude, great ride report! I was in Turkey a couple weeks ago on vacation, and it is a really interesting place. The country is huge, and really diverse.

Are you planning on staying for a bit or what? If so, you should really check out Cappadocia if you weren't planning on it already, it is absolutely crazy to see and about a days ride from Istanbul. It's like a Dali painting. Go if you can, you won't regret it. You can squat in the abandoned rock houses that are pretty ubiquitous to that area, they're nearly everywhere.

haha i did the baths too. and that guy was probably messing with you because of the camera.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #775
Delilama
Papa Bear KLR

Oddometer: 186
You guys are having way to much fun!!!!!!!!
Luke,What a face when he slaped you on the ass,Who had more fun ?
You are him?
Now get back on the road and on the R.R.
WE ARE WAITING?
Old 05-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #776
Stewart5533
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
The ass slap was too funny....
Old 05-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #777
klrhelipilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Re. Africa tee shirts

When I traveled through Africa 20 years ago "western" t shirts were highly sought after. At that time the wisdom of dumping surplus food from The developed world was being called into question. The local agricultural economies were devastated, unable to compete with cheap foreign wheat and rice sent in as aid.

More recently used and overstocked clothing sent from well meaning charities and companies in the developed world have driven the local textiles manufacturers out of business. Not only has it destroyed local business but has also taken away from the cultural identity of those areas.

Not saying that I have the answers to the poverty and injustice we see in Africa and there are many charities, missionaries and business people who do amazing work on that continent ..

I'm just wondering if the Africa you experienced is the way it's is because of outside influence rather than an indigenous failing.

Thank you for your frank and honest ride report. My biggest indulgence is to spend an hour or two catching up with guys like you!
klrhelipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #778
Fly-china
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
Great travel, photo is very nice !

Fly-china is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #779
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,407
JUst catching up on the report. That vid was funny.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #780
Fishfund OP
Studly Adventurer

Entry 57

Ok, so if you have been following along, you know I have bike problems. There is a lot going on with this story. So I'll do a litle recap to help keep everything straight. Aside from all of my other bike problems from the past, I developed another serious problem in Djibouti. My bike's throttle body went into emergency mode and threw a fuel injection (F.I.) code. This F.I. code is 9 long flashes. I called my KTM 690 go to guy John. He has never heard of this problem before. The code means that the "throttle valve position is not plausable" Since the bike thinks that is what is happening, the computer takes over and I lose my throttle control. The bike will not let me snap the throttle or have any acceleration more than an aircooled 250. In other words, the bike is running, but it runs like crap. The exhaust pops, and there is no power. Turning the ignition on and off fixes the problem until it happens again. That's a vauge statement, but it's 100% true. Sometimes the bike will throw the code in 300 miles or only 30 feet. You can't predict it, but you can predict that is will be frustrating when it happens again, and trust me it WILL happen again. So, what do I do? Replace what's broken.

John sent me his Throttle body that is off his spare rally bike. I put that one on at the airport, like I told you in entry 54, but I threw the same code twice within 30 minutes of driving. What is my problem? Yes, 690 readers, I did the 15 minute idle before trying the bike. No, the bike was not cold. The bad news is this wasn't a plug and play like I had hoped. The good news is, I got a contact here in Istanbul who can fix it. His name is Dominic. I found out where he hangs out and it happens to be 1 block from where we are staying? In a city of 18 million people what are the odds?

A. is the shop. X is where we are staying.

Dominic is not a KTM employee. He is a 690 owner who was frustrated how the bikes ran and took the time to figure them out. He's had multipule 690's and is regarded as one of the best 690 tuners in the world. If this guy can't fix my bike I'm just plan screwed. We plug the bike into the computer and get working. According to the KTM program and Dominic's eye my TPS reading looks too high. He fiddles with that until it's in the lower .5 range. Next, he puts the stock mapping back on my bike. In Cape Town, the KTM techs put the Avapovic Map on my bike in an effort to fix my problems there. People on forums are starting to agree that the stock map is better because it is a "closed loop" system. That means it uses the oxygen sensor in the header and air sensor in the airbox and is constantly adjusting the mapping for the current real time conditions. Now I switch out throttle body's and he adjusts my old broken one too. We do the 15 minute idle, and he takes the bike for a spin. It feels good. He likes it. All done problem solved. It's as simple as that. KTM really should give you this tool with the bike, and show you what the values need to read.

John's throttle body that he sent me.

Dominic working the computer.

The shop owner working the throttle as part of the reset.

The owner was really cool. He saw that I needed a new front tire and dug through the bone yard. He pulled out a beautiful front with hardly any ware on it. He said it was from a customer that swaps out front and rears at 5,000 K no matter how bad or good they look. He tosses it my way and says it's free. I can't believe this. This is a motorcycle shop that sells tires to make money, and he just gives me a tire for free with 80% life still on it. What a guy. A much better guy in my opinion that the fellow motorcycle travelor who sold me a junk tire at Jungle Junction that she was going to leave behind. I was desperate and needed somthing, and she saw a chance to make a buck.

I slaped on the tire and changed the oil, so I'd be all ready to leave in the morning.

I finish up around 9:00 and Ben and Nick stop by to head up to the Unitited football game. I thank the owner for all the help and keeping his shop open extra late for me. This is coolest shop, I've ever been at. Thanks a lot guys.

The next morning we are packed and ready to go. We say good buy to our new friends, but can't leave before they tag us with an ATA Moto sticker.

We are all smiles as we leave. Thanks for the European hospitality. It feels awesome to have a running bike again.