Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2011, 05:54 AM   #841
Fishfund OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by vld86 View Post
I'm in for buying the book.
Aren't you suppose to cover some miles today?!

Cheers.
vlad

Yes we are, Yes we are. haha
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:12 AM   #842
Fishfund OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Entry 60

In the morning we gas up and hit the road. It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring. The previous night, Nick and I decided to head more north east towards his girlfriends grand parrents home. Ben is wanting to go north east towards Denmark in order to make his deadline to be on Denmarks late night Television show. The problem is, we arn't sick of each others company yet. We want to continue on together. So we do for a bit, and I take this photo.

BUT eventually we must seperate and we decide on the town of Pitesti to do this. It is the afternoon and sunny now, the rain has passed. It's beautiful. Ben picks a nice restaurant in the center. We order great food and people watch, reminiscing about the great times we have had together, and the struggles to get out of Africa.

I'm calling out best meal of the trip so far. This is chicken breast stuffed with cheesy stuff with ham and spices and more cheese on top. seasoned mashed potatoes and a fresh lemonaid top it off.

Nick almost has his steak finished before I can get the picture. It was a great meal.

It's kind of sad because we know we have to say goodbye. It's time to start this process with a group photo.

Then it moves out side and Ben requests a strange picture. We are happy to oblige.

Then come the hand stands.

Ok, enough is enough. We part ways. Ben to the west and us to the east. Heading towards the mountains. We can probably make it to the grand parents tonight. That is unless we get distracted or have another break down. By the way. My bike is still running good. It's been about 250 miles now with no fault codes. The road we are taking to the grand parents place was once dubed the best road in the world by TV show Top Gear. The name of the road is Transfagarasan. You can do a google search and see videos of it. We didn't, but Nicks girlfriend said she puked seven during the route once when she was a kid. It sounds perfect!

As we leave the flats and start to follow a river up through the valley, we can see how beautiful this ride will be. If we continue on, we will make it to the grand parrents, but it will be in the dark and the rain. Not a great way to enjoy this road. We decide to camp and tackle the road in the morning. So we get off the main road and do a little exploring.

It turns out that there is a little trail that follows a creek up a valley, while the main road climbs the cliffs above us.

It is absolutly beautiful so we take some picture and whatnot.

You can't get these pictures for free.

It's beautiful. This is the kind of exploring and camping we thought we would experience for most of the trip. Instead it's been rush and hurry to the major hub towns. Always behind schedule. Waiting for visa's, politics, etc. This is so nice to be able to take a day and relax. Flying to Istanbul more or us put us back on track schedule wise. It's so fun driving on this stuff we just keep driving until we come up on this. Imagine the suprise it was for us.

We drive back to the meddow and set up camp.

What a beautiful place we have found. It's my favorate camping location yet. No bugs, the sound of the stream. NO PEOPLE. It's perfect. To top it off we have an awesome road to drive on tomorrow. Life is so good right now.

We like big fires.

Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:50 AM   #843
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
what is your mileage to date? Beautiful pics !
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:53 AM   #844
zoki1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Thumb

DEAD END IN FRONT OF THE DAM
DOT FORGET TO GET ,,VIGNETTE,, FOR ALL THE COUNTRIES THAD YOU GUYS GONNA PASS IN EUROPE . AND THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR ADVENTURE WITH US .
Old 05-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #845
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 453

I recognize that place, Veliko Tarnovo, which is about 25 minutes away from Doug's Motocamp.. Glad to see you guys are enjoying yourselves a lot more. Nice not to be harassed for cash by the locals.
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #846
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 741
Looks like you will enjoy Europe way more than Africa. The food, the accommodations and "the washrooms” should be a lot better than Africa. GREAT Road report. Good luck with the bikes.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #847
ThirdBestFriend
Explorer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfund View Post

My friend Adam wants to make a hardcover book of this ride report. He is the one who made our website and does the animation and stuff for videos etc. He would fix all the spelling errors and clean up the photos and what not making it look very professional. He's thinking about doing a run of 100, and he would get all the proceeds. So i'm just trying to get a feel for if anyone would be interested.

(As a bonus it would force us to finish this Ride Report, unlike my last one. )
I'd be interested. I've used Blurb.com in the past to great effect, btw.
ThirdBestFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #848
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdBestFriend View Post
I'd be interested. I've used Blurb.com in the past to great effect, btw.
I'd consider it.

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #849
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
By the way. Ben shows amazing patience while traveling with us. Nick and I are the only ones running into problems. Ben already has the Insurance, Ben's bike never brakes. Ben has never even had a flat tire. Thanks for having such a good attitude Ben!
That's because He's riding a Transalp, otherwise known as the Swiss Army Knife of Adventure Bikes.

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:57 AM   #850
skidmarmk
not ridin' dirty

Oddometer: 59
I'm just signing in to put my seal of approval on this RR. I just graduated college, and am doing the math on how far I can get on my savings before I run out. Thanks for the inspiration.

There is but one path... we kill them all.
2005 F4i in custom Rustoleum Battleshit Gray

Sold but not forgotten: 1999 YZF600R
skidmarmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:10 AM   #851
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,886
Head stand

Man--wish I could do a head stand---I couldn't do that when I was young.

I'd be doin' them all the time if I could---now if you held my feet--all the blood would rush to my head and I'd pass out.
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #852
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTA
That's because He's riding a Transalp, otherwise known as the Swiss Army Knife of Adventure Bikes.
HALOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
Man--wish I could do a head stand---I couldn't do that when I was young.

I'd be doin' them all the time if I could---now if you held my feet--all the blood would rush to my head and I'd pass out.
Belated Happy Birthday wishes Mark! I'll bet you could do a handstand at some point in your life, you're just being modest.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #853
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,452
Quote:

My friend Adam wants to make a hardcover book of this ride report. He is the one who made our website and does the animation and stuff for videos etc. He would fix all the spelling errors and clean up the photos and what not making it look very professional. He's thinking about doing a run of 100, and he would get all the proceeds. So i'm just trying to get a feel for if anyone would be interested.

(As a bonus it would force us to finish this Ride Report, unlike my last one. )
I'm in for a book, dvd, whatever! Great report guys, keep it coming!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #854
manshoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Very entertaining ride report you two. Thank you for sharing the experience and the pictures. It's to bad the Africa portion was such a drag to deal with trying to keep your sanity, money and get out in one piece.

I am looking forward to the rest of your adventure.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #855
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
I bet they don't feel Africa was a drag at all...just added to their experience...and what a great one it has been!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote