User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #1201
edd-nor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
best ever

thank`s ,you got me out of winter depression.
I live in Norway and there has been snow and dark for several months
looking forward to summer
edd-nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #1202
Fishfund OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
One year ago today Nick and I were sitting in South Africa waiting for our bikes to arrive.

Life travels by so quickly. Time is of the essence. I am so happy and thankful that we were able to pull this trip off. It's a big monkey off my back. This trip was all I could think about for a long time. Well Nick and I have been talking and we are starting to get the itch again. Starting to feel a little Antsy. I want to do it again, but in a different way next time. A much looser schedule, a different more simple bike. Not Africa.

Anyway, I was just thinking about how short life is, and for all you guys that dream of this, just make it happen. Don't save this trip for later, do it now. You will not regret it.
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #1203
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,834
Can't wait to hear what you guys have up your sleeves for us
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #1204
Kafeman
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Luke is so right. Time is short and before you know it you will be 64 and beaten up like me and just wishin' ya could do it.
Please, Luke, do it again soon
Kafeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #1205
ini88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Do it again Luke & Nick! England to Thailand? I need something to read at work... so hurry up!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #1206
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
I saw the other day that the cord on the bungee jump you guys did at Victoria Falls broke.

A girl went into the river and through the rapids with her feet tied together!!! She was OK
but pretty crazy!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrPmJ4NXVDQ
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #1207
Fishfund OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
I saw the other day that the cord on the bungee jump you guys did at Victoria Falls broke.

A girl went into the river and through the rapids with her feet tied together!!! She was OK
but pretty crazy!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrPmJ4NXVDQ
That is really not suprising to me. I'm so glad she was okay. I remember many things about that jump being really sketchy. For instance, the last second instruction to just kick the chord away from your feet if it starts to tangle up. I'm sure we used that exact same bungee that broke.

Here is a reminder of how they tied our legs in.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #1208
NCK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfund View Post
One year ago today Nick and I were sitting in South Africa waiting for our bikes to arrive.

Life travels by so quickly. Time is of the essence. I am so happy and thankful that we were able to pull this trip off. It's a big monkey off my back. This trip was all I could think about for a long time. Well Nick and I have been talking and we are starting to get the itch again. Starting to feel a little Antsy. I want to do it again, but in a different way next time. A much looser schedule, a different more simple bike. Not Africa.

Anyway, I was just thinking about how short life is, and for all you guys that dream of this, just make it happen. Don't save this trip for later, do it now. You will not regret it.
Just what I needed to hear.
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #1209
BrandtSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Great RR. What can we say from Africa.....At least South Africa and Namibia have a huge European influence. If you ever visit SA again get hold of the guys on the wildogs forum - http://www.wilddog.za.net .
BrandtSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #1210
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
I wonder if KTM has an idea of how many people read this report? Can't be good for their sales. I know, if I was in the market for that kind of bike, the though of it went out the window. I'll just stick to my old tried and true KLR.

Super enjoyed the report guys. Hope the fishing season goes yur way.
You and me both , good grief all that drama would have driven me nuts . I look at it like this ,
if the dealer can't fix your bike with their so called certified mechanics , they should buy it back
from you on the spot .

Not only that , how many fuel pumps went bad ? 2 on one trip ? I wouldn't expect that with a
Chinese scooter , muchless a KTM . To tell you the truth , while not as bad I wasn't all that impressed
with the BMW either .

For the money I'm with you on the KLR .

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #1211
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post

For the money I'm with you on the KLR .

TheReaper!

Yea, a KLR that's the ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post

So I'm riding down the road one night, returning from town. There is nothing special or particularly hardcore about this road. No wheelies, no jumps, no hard hits. Just about 20 miles of washboard. I'm putzin along in fourth gear when the front falls off.

The front just fell off.

Needless to say I was pretty pissed off.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #1212
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,429
I bet you didn't have to hook up the computer to find the problem!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #1213
MurrDogg
n00b

Oddometer: 6
This is actually my first post in the forum - I joined when a friend told me to come here to read about your story. We've been thinking about starting to do longer road trips on our bikes, and your story has been most inspiring. I know how much work it is to document a trip like that with images and write-ups, so thank you for your diligence. I do think a book deal should be in your future - and maybe even get sponsored before your next trip. You're both certainly excellent ambassadors for the sport.

Kudos to you both! Happy Trails!
MurrDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #1214
Vamartha
Lost in ADVRider

Oddometer: 277
This is still one of my favorite RR's! I cannot believe that it has been a year!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #1215
Fishfund OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamartha View Post
This is still one of my favorite RR's! I cannot believe that it has been a year!
Time goes by so fast. I can't believe it's been a year as well. After I got back from this trip, I was really happy to be back in America. My traveling itch was recessed if not gone. Seeing friends and living the easy life in America was awesome. However, eight months later and now the itch is back. Nick and I have started talking about where the next trip will be and how we will go about doing it. I love traveling with him. We always agree on everything. This next trip will not have a schedule. We will be able to travel slower and probably not as far. We have our sites on the "Stan" countries. As normal we want to get as far away from the tourist areas as possible. Who knows what the future holds, I'm hoping another trip is the answer.