Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #1261
Fishfund OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Keep in mind that the majority of FF's issues came from one undiagnosed issue. The 690 is a great bike, and seriously brings the grin factor... to 11.
Very true, in fact most people reading this do not notice that Nick's BMW broke down more times than my KTM. it's a shame that I bought a lemon but even then it had fewer errors than the F800GS. That's not to say that my bike was pleasant to deal with. I would have much rather dealt with the many crapy easy to fix problems of the BMW than constantly dealt with the one mystery faulty voltage regulator.
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #1262
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfund View Post
Very true, in fact most people reading this do not notice that Nick's BMW broke down more times than my KTM. it's a shame that I bought a lemon but even then it had fewer errors than the F800GS. That's not to say that my bike was pleasant to deal with. I would have much rather dealt with the many crapy easy to fix problems of the BMW than constantly dealt with the one mystery faulty voltage regulator.

I do not know that it is safe to say that. I think your bike seems to have broken down several dozen times, it was just the same thing most of the times. But honestly each time you thought (or implied that you thought) you had it fixed and each time it broke again. I think that your KTM wins several times over the BMW on number of breakdowns. Even number of breakdowns per country. ;)

That being said, I just read your RR and I really enjoyed it. I am glad that a different RR I was reading had referenced this one.

You mentioned going with the two of you again on another trip. Did that ever happen? If so would you kindly point me towards the RR for it as well? Take care, and thanks a lot for letting a guy stuck in Afghanistan live vicariously through your adventures.

Regards,
Brian

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #1263
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 807
Extremely late to the party!(Don't know how I missed this thread??) Up to end of Page 27 of this RR and I am loving your Africa RR so far! I have no idea where you are right now but it will be matter of time before I catch up and know where you are. That's part of the excitement of live updated RR.

Ride safe and good luck getting to North Cape (If that's where you are going to in Norway)! Cape Agulhas to North Cape is among my bucket list and this is first RR of the trip I am reading beside the Dave Barr book. (He fell few hundred times!)

EDIT (8/16/13): Just finished the RR.. it seems that as you get to the end, it was less challenging after replacing the fuel pump. And I admit I am curious where is the landmark pic of North Cape? Anyway, thanks for this awesome RR and it helped me get a better idea visually what Dave Barr were trying to say in his book (his camera performed poorly and he lost a lot of pics before the digital camera era) I will now read your Mexico RR and am looking forward to your next trip.. Siberia??

WhicheverAnyWayCan screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 10:48 AM
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:45 PM   #1264
DRglidarn
Panzer pilot

Oddometer: 470
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfund View Post
One year ago today Nick and I were sitting in South Africa waiting for our bikes to arrive.

Life travels by so quickly. Time is of the essence. I am so happy and thankful that we were able to pull this trip off. It's a big monkey off my back. This trip was all I could think about for a long time. Well Nick and I have been talking and we are starting to get the itch again. Starting to feel a little Antsy. I want to do it again, but in a different way next time. A much looser schedule, a different more simple bike. Not Africa.

Anyway, I was just thinking about how short life is, and for all you guys that dream of this, just make it happen. Don't save this trip for later, do it now. You will not regret it.
Absolutely fantastic report! All the way from the poop to theese words

I missed this RR the time being written since i bought a house at the same time and had other things to do than read. If i knew i had gladely let you guys stay at my home when you rode thru Sweden

Thanks for the inspiration!
DRglidarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:50 AM   #1265
vinyard
Drop Bear

Oddometer: 15
Awesome read guys, well done on finishing and thanks for the entertainment!

vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:52 AM   #1266
Nickado99
n00b

Oddometer: 1
It's a small world!!

Just came across these photos on a particular person's fb page which reminded me of your ride report. You said you came across this old rusted out truck somewhere in Namibia, maybe you can recognize who else has recently found this same truck

Name:  10610582_10152682518179948_8454719658626412028_n.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  123.3 KB

Below is a link to their fb page where i found the photo:

https://www.facebook.com/alex.merino...52682527804948
Nickado99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #1267
Phi1osopher
metaphysician

Oddometer: 33
Some time last night I stumbled across this excellent ride report, and stood here, reading all 85 pages in one sitting. Absolutely fabulous. (I cam across it as I was reading trip reports from folks on KTM 690s -- I am seriously considering buying a new-ish one.

I hope you guys are doing well, that you eventually got the $2500 back from Africa, that KTM actually eventually contacted you.... I was extremely pleased you managed to finish the trip with no serious injuries to yourselves nor your equipment. It really stinks that you had a complicated electrical problem that just never went away until there at the very end. I am a damn good motorcycle mechanic, and I don't think I could have handled the stress of the reoccurring problem(s).

Nevertheless your amazing endurance, friendship and "relaxed" attitude is every bit as inspirational as the actual accomplishment of your South to North journey

...I also am curious about whether or not your friend ever made a print version of your ride report. It seems to me that it would be fairly easy to get it to print, and it could help fund the next trip.

I realize all this was several years ago, but I truly hope you are well, and that you continue to travel. As I write this, it feels like I am writing to some friends. Thank you for bringing all of us along with you!

Peace and grease,
-Phil
Phi1osopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #1268
fastlane1
Catching up with my past

Oddometer: 80
That 690 is still going...

That troubled 690 is on another round the world trip with Noah Horak...
One of the best ride reports on ADV. See it here...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
fastlane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:25 AM   #1269
jorrie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I AM IN HAVE FUN
jorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #1270
lmyamen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Man talk about coming into this report 3 years late. just read through the entire report in the past 3 days. Incredible.
lmyamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #1271
vtcyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Add another mark to the "Late to the party" list. Started reading this yesterday and finished this morning at 0530. The change in my own attitude from the beginning (how can these guys be so patient and laid back while waiting a MONTH to get their bikes) to middle/end of the trip (No Worries, waiting and fixing stuff is part of the journey). I am totally impressed.

My wife and I rode bicycles across the USA years ago. I remember it took about a month to mentally shed the "busy real world" and settle into the wake, ride, explore, don't care where we spend the night routine. This was before cell phones/internet so no ride reports. Like you we had to get back to Alaska on a specific date, but I remember thinking "I can work when I'm dead, I don't want this feeling of freedom to end". Ironically, the first day I walked into work in Juneau, still energetic, lean and tan from a couple months on a bicycle, one of my new coworkers saw the spring in my step and said, "You are dead now. You don't know it yet, but you are dead". She said it with a smile, but message was clear.

Small world anecdote. I lived in Dillingham 5 years, summers and winters. I never did commercial fish but did hang nets a couple years to make some mad money.

THANKS for taking time (along with your enviable attitudes) to make this trip report. I have thoroughly enjoyed the escape.

One more thought: Do you think this (Photo below) may have contributed to the "long nine" problem codes?

vtcyclist screwed with this post 10-14-2014 at 10:07 AM
vtcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote