Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #31
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa View Post
We met "Crawdaddy" (yes, the Crawdaddy on advrider) on the pass. We had exchanged emails with him back in April to get route info for the Grand Canyon. He figured out we were the same people who had emailed him and we all had a good laugh. Crawdaddy rode my bike through the big rocks for me (thanks, Crawdaddy).

That was pretty funny......what are the odds of meeting up on a Tuesday morning at ~10am out in BFE at the Red Rock Washout ........Sorry to hear you folks didn't make it around the Grand Canyon (I figured it might be a bit too hot that time of year).....but glad you were able to hit some of the upper plateaus in Utah....great stuff!

Please thank Kevin for sending me a link to the report! Ride On!

Link to my little "1 day" trip report from that particular day: http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7847-ride-to-work-day-vegas-style/
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com

Crawdaddy screwed with this post 01-24-2011 at 11:03 AM
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #32
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,592
Subscribed

Great report Alexa, definitely in the EPIC category

You're really doing a great job of capturing the spirit of the ride and of course the awesome scenery, that sunset early on was magnificent.

Makes me want to pack up the bike and head out. What was the the time of year (start date) ?

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #33
Kmike
The Map Keeper

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Subscribed

Great report Alexa, definitely in the EPIC category

You're really doing a great job of capturing the spirit of the ride and of course the awesome scenery, that sunset early on was magnificent.

Makes me want to pack up the bike and head out. What was the the time of year (start date) ?
We left in mid June. Vegas area was the only place that was too hot.
Kmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #34
Maloney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Recall

You don't happen to recall EXACTLY where this "military" operation was do you? (the one where they made you go around and you ran across guys with big guns?) Grid coordinate or specific directions would help.

Maloney screwed with this post 01-24-2011 at 08:56 PM
Maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #35
Gregulator
Loves the dirt

Oddometer: 241
Thumb

I like the way you are telling the story, and your choice of pictures. Your ride is giving me all sorts of ideas for myself and my wife's new-to-herXT250 (and her, of course!)
Gregulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #36
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Wow. Shiny knobs, lizards, milk crates on a cruiser, Crawdaddy showing up at just the right time for the bumpy part, using the wheel drum as a way to make the bike rack. Not to mention all the great pics of beautiful roads and things found in the desert!

Great road report. You have the GPS tracks?
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #37
Kmike
The Map Keeper

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz View Post
Wow. Shiny knobs, lizards, milk crates on a cruiser, Crawdaddy showing up at just the right time for the bumpy part, using the wheel drum as a way to make the bike rack. Not to mention all the great pics of beautiful roads and things found in the desert!

Great road report. You have the GPS tracks?
It's amazing all the things you find in the desert! Unfortunately we don't have tracks because our GPS was free and its a ... well its a free GPS. About the only thing it was useful for was telling us our coordinates so we could find ourselves on the map. So all we have are our highlighted maps (we used the Benchmark maps - they were great). This upcoming summer's trip will have tracks.

Kevin
Kmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #38
Alexa OP
I think I don't know

Oddometer: 22
Day 24: Highway 148 through Cedar Breaks Highway 143 through Brian Head into Parawan, Highway 271 to Paragonah, Red Creek Road (NFR 078), left on NFR 076, right NFR 077, right on Highway 20, right on Highway 89 for 2-3 miles, then left on dirt road over Severe River toward Smith Canyon.

The nights are getting colder (you really notice when you don't have a sleeping bag). We bought two fleece blankets for 89 cents each at a surplus store in Canada. Not only did they take up valuable space, they didn't do diddley to keep us warm. You'd think Canadian blankets would be warmer!

"Oh, wow, holy sh*t." (That's what we said when we saw Cedar Breaks). Looking left.

Looking right,

and, some more when we looked down.

After Cedar Breaks we headed through Brian Head for lunch - our first restaurant since Vegas. We also bought 30 body-sized "hand warmers" - we'll finally be warm tonight.

Another lake.

More nature.

Day 25: Up Smith Canyon on NFR 129, right on NFR 1055, left on NFR 431 into Circleville, north on 100 E., left on NFR 133, left on NFR 144.

Back in the dry terrain.

Wound our way through the canyon.

Winding,

Winding.

Look who else is winding.

Loving the lushness.

Cool rock spires.

Loving everything.

More beautiful scenery.

Monument in Circleville to the town's enlisted men from WWI to present.

We spent 20 minutes in the store and only came out with a cucumber. Hmmm, we didn't feel crazy. We did most of our grocery shopping in the same stores where we bought our gas: gas stations. They always have beans and salsa. I get so sick of beans and salsa on our motorcycle trips, but then crave it between trips. Must be some sort of weird nostalgia.

A dog we met at the park.

She was friendly...

...with everyone.

Day 26: Continue on NFR 144, Highway 153 (a dirt road) into Tushar Mountains, north on NFR 123 (blocked by gate, backtracked with detours on Piute Trail, Highway 153 to Beaver, north on Manderfield Highway, right at split onto dirt road paralleling I-15, right on NFR 118.

A storm chased us into this canyon yesterday.

The storm found us.

There's a rocky road in that nice gentle looking valley.

Storm overtook us.

We're at 10,000 feet. Yup, it snowed on us.

The Tushar Mountains. The road through was still closed due to snow. We'd been told the road was closed... but due to our thing we rode all the way to the closed gate... and it was super fun.

Is that storm going to hit us or just chase us? (Eventually it hit us with rain, snow and lightning).

We rode on a black diamond section of the Paiute Trail, an outrageously good ATV system in Utah, even in the rain and snow.

The trail was a tight pair of single-tracks. Trail system is for ATV's less than 55", which means if you're on the inside track you won't have enough room to lean through the turn without smacking into the tree that the turn goes around.

Fun Utah mountain road.

Day 27:

Rest day.

Day 28: Continue on Highway 118 past geothermal plant onto NFR 1136, get on I-70 east, Highway 4, left on NFR 106, right on NFR 112, NFR 1680, NFR 107, NFR 956, NFR 211, left on NFR 096, down Willow Creek, Highway 50 into Salina.

Went down a super steep, rocky hill. (More data supporting hypotheses that powerline roads are the worst). Thought the road led down to Interstate 70 but the road ended in a steep drop-off into a ravine. We looked around for a way to get on the interstate (we did not want to go back up that steep, rocky hill). We found a cow tunnel under the interstate. I thought the tunnel would be stinky and slippery with cow poop and that we would be stuck up to our skid plates in poop, but it was clean-ish. We found a section of fence that was down (I guess we weren't the first to get lost here) and rode over it. I fixed the fence and turned around just in time to see Kevin slam into a sage bush and pop right off his bike. He managed to push his bike toward the uphill slope so it didn't slide back down the steep hill. We scrambled up to the freeway, and rode along the wrong side of the guardrail until there was a break in it and we could cross the freeway. We cut across all the lanes and the divider ditch to get to the other side. We must have been a funny sight.

Back on dirt.

A good sign (even if it is a quad).

Putting on our jackets under a tree because it was raining hard.

Playing in the water.

I'm dry under my jacket, but not under my pants. My "baboon butt" evolved into "monkey butt" on this day.

We rode through the storm.

Perfect conditions.

Splashing through one of the many creeks.

Wildflowers.

A quaint little cabin.

That's our road down there. It was always great to see a long stretch of road waiting for us.

Road.

Weee. We were lost on this road for 10 minutes...

Kevin trying to catch up to me to tell me it's a loop.

Utah, sandstone.

Road, looking up.

Looking down.

Red soil and white aspens, a common Utah sight.

See?

Super road.

"Bean Canyon". "The Bee Hive" in the distance.

America the beautiful.

America the gorgeous.

Kevin is still in-love with his bike.

So am I. It's easy to love something so beautiful, capable and fun.

Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #39
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,207
I love this one.

And in general, I'm impressed by how green it was out west last summer.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:38 AM   #40
ppfeifer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Looks like a blast!

Alexa,

Great ride report, do you have a GPS track of your ride?

ppfeifer
ppfeifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:08 AM   #41
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,875
What's the deal with thunderstorms in the Salina area?

I like the paper map routing. You two ever argue about the right way to go?
Old 01-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #42
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Well done! Keep it coming!

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #43
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,235
You honestly are about to bring me to tears as it is making me miss home so much. I had someone ask me today in a rather existential way, "why are you here?" She was referring to why I am in Germany. As I read this report, it is perhaps as a means to help me appreciate all the more how much I miss and love from where I moved.

I truly cannot wait to get home. Thank you for allowing me to live vicariously through you.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #44
Pmason
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Thumb

Great report...keep it coming!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #45
Sandslinger
Luv-Husqvarna

Oddometer: 72
Great pics, wish i were there.
Sandslinger is offline   Reply With Quote