Oddometer: 1,249
Nice report. Thanks for sharing!
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #47
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 766
45 days and 2600 miles of Dirt

Wow, excellent ride and report! I love the VW bus too, I have a 78 Westy campmobile that I hope to outfit with a dual sport on the back! The 250 sounds like a perfect setup, impressed you have a range of 220 and it can cruise at 70 mph! Thanks for taking us along.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #48
Alexa OP
I think I don't know

Oddometer: 22
Day 29: Willow Creek Road (NFR 001), left on NFR 150, left on Skyline Drive.

Really fun road along the ridge tops that went on forever.

Still having the best time of our lives (even without our sleeping bags).

We rode all day through this scenery.

Looks like a good place to camp down there.

The road down to the lake.

How sweet is this?

Pretty alpine flowers.

Maybe you've experienced this, but we regularly are offered food by total strangers. There's the time we were sitting on the curb along the Trans-Canada Highway eating soup right out of a can with the jagged lid still attached and a sweet young girl gave us luscious strawberries, "for dessert." Then there was the time in Oregon that an old-timer in a Corvette Z06 said, "You look like you need some peanuts." He poured some in his hand and gave them to us. We ate them. There was the couple in Utah who gave us water and freshly cut melon. This picture was taken by Shawn, a super nice fisherman, who offered to give us trout, if he caught any. Unfortunately the lake hadn't been stocked yet so he gave us his bag of beef jerky (thanks Shawn).

Day 30: Continue on Skyline Drive, (side-trip to Grove of the Aspen Giants), continue north on Skyline Drive (NFR 150), NFR 8 to Joe's Valley Reservoir, north on Miller Flat Road (NFR 14), Highway 31, Highway 264, south on Highway 96, left on Beaver Road into Helper.

Beautiful morning.

We froze last night, camping at 10,000 feet. We were all packed up and ready to go and then my bike wouldn't start. Took us a while to realize it was too rich and the plug was wet fouled.

Another alpine lake just down the road.

Beautiful view.

Skyline Drive - spectacular ridge road that went on forever.

These snow banks took several attempts to get around.

Best time of my life.

We did bike maintenance while a storm passed over us.

Spectacular conditions after the rain on this super fun and scenic road.

Kevin's bike wouldn't start after we stopped to take this photo. Something had broken loose inside the sealed ignition switch. He had to "hotwire" his own bike using two fuses.

We had been riding long, hard days for a while and our bikes needed a rest. We found a nice couple in the town of Helper (true story) that gave us a place to work on our bikes and let us camp in their orchard. After stowing our bikes among the many in their garage, they fed us a feast of roasted chicken, salad from their garden, mashed potatoes, bread, and margaritas. (Thank you Al and Michelle).

Day 31: North on Highway 6, left on Highway 96, right on Dry Valley Road, back to Highway 96, Highway 264, right on NFR 221.

Dashed red lines on the map are like a box of chocolates - you never really know what you're going to get. Sometimes it's a great trail and sometimes it's the kind of trail where the bike rides you. This road was a dashed red line and it was fun, technical, fast and not well travelled. It was also dangerous: fallen trees stuck into the road like javelins posed to knock me off my bike.

We'd been lost all day, blocked again and again by gates that weren't on the map/GPS. As "Dueling Banjos" played in our heads we saw a dog eating the guts out of a bloated dead sheep, were attacked by flies that wanted our brains, and rode down a long hard road that dead-ended into the ashes of a recent forest fire... but that's what you can get with red dashed lines.

Day 32: Back down NFR 221, right on Highway 264, right on Skyline Drive (NFR 150), right on Highway 6, left after Soldier Summit onto NFR 131, left on NFR 043, right on road going down Indian Creek, second left, NFR 135.

Sheep (still living).

After some extremely fun riding.

Scenery along Skyline Drive was beautiful and had very few intersections/splits so we were able to ride and ride without having to stop to consult the map - or take pictures.

We did get lost, as happens when you don't consult the map, and we were very low on gas, food and water. Should we spend the rest of our gas trying to find our way, or ration our food and water, make camp, study the map, and try again in the morning? We camped. Note: we would have been totally out of food, but a nice guy had given us a bag of jerky (thanks again Shawn).

Day 33: Down to Strawberry Reservoir, NFR 131, left on Highway 40 into Heber City, road east out of town to West Fork of Duchesne River.

It was beautiful along the ridge and we really didn't want to head downward off the mountain, but we really needed food, gas, and water.

Strawberry Reservoir.

George.

Rode along the west fork of Duchesne River.

Kevin bottomed-out on a rock and when we stopped to make camp his kick-stand wouldn't go down. He leaned his bike against a tree and used a rock and a stick to bend back the piece he had smushed earlier on the rock. He got his kickstand down and we went to sleep, thinking ourselves pretty clever for using a rock and a stick as tools.
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #49
Kmike
The Map Keeper

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
What's the deal with thunderstorms in the Salina area?

I like the paper map routing. You two ever argue about the right way to go?
I take it you've run into a storm or two in that area? It did make for great conditions though.

Alexa zones out behind me in a blissful dusty haze then goes to look for flowers while I try to figure out where the hell we are and which route looks the most fun. Then I show her the map and she says, "Oh that's nice, let's do that." Then she goes back to her dusty haze thinking about unicorns and stuff and talking to herself in her helmut. But then don't we all...
Kmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #50
Kmike
The Map Keeper

Oddometer: 57
[QUOTE=Buell78753;15032106]Wow, excellent ride and report! I love the VW bus too, I have a 78 Westy campmobile that I hope to outfit with a dual sport on the back! The 250 sounds like a perfect setup, impressed you have a range of 220 and it can cruise at 70 mph! Thanks for taking us along.

That sounds like it would be a sweet setup. Although in our experience, you could probably go faster riding the 250 and towing the Westy behind.
Kmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #51
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,456
Excellent report, thanks!
The Westy comment is so true.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #52
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmike View Post
I take it you've run into a storm or two in that area? It did make for great conditions though.

Alexa zones out behind me in a blissful dusty haze then goes to look for flowers while I try to figure out where the hell we are and which route looks the most fun. Then I show her the map and she says, "Oh that's nice, let's do that." Then she goes back to her dusty haze thinking about unicorns and stuff and talking to herself in her helmut. But then don't we all...

Yeah, flash flood and a broken clutch cable...I sat under a tree and cried.

That's great!! Perfect way for stress free two person travel!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #53
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Nice RR!!

Wow! I'm ready to ride now!! Thanks for taking us along!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #54
dmulk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Talking More please!

Name:  more.jpeg
Views: 1704
Size:  4.8 KB

dmulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #55
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
You honestly are about to bring me to tears as it is making me miss home so much. I had someone ask me today in a rather existential way, "why are you here?" She was referring to why I am in Germany. As I read this report, it is perhaps as a means to help me appreciate all the more how much I miss and love from where I moved.

I truly cannot wait to get home. Thank you for allowing me to live vicariously through you.
Great Report....

Bryce, Looking forward to you coming back home... not looking forward to picking that Heavy Pig up though... haha

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #56
CO_Native
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Fun report! Thx
CO_Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #57
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,352
bliss
Dansrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #58
Alexa OP
I think I don't know

Oddometer: 22
Day 34: Continue east on West Fork Duchesne River Road, left on Highway 35 for about half a mile, right on NFR 174, NFR 318, NFR 174, right on NFR 37, left on Highway 150, right on NFR 035 (dead-end), Highway 150 north, left on NFR 041.

We were all packed up and ready to go this morning, and then Kevin's bike wouldn't start. Kevin looked under his bike, oops, he'd smashed the kickstand switch the night before. We had to get on our hands and knees and comb through the grass to find the tiny springs (size of eyeglass screws). It took tweezers (thank you, Leatherman) and four hands to put the parts back together so his bike would start.

Pretty.

Really, really fun road.

Still fun.

Fire roads and National Forest roads are great, but we wanted to be back on technical trails so we took a chance on this red dashed line. There was a sign saying "Road Closed Due to Road Construction", but we thought it said, "Road Open to Dumb Suckers Who Don't Like to Turn Back". After getting through the deep silt and freshly torn up tree stumps, we kept seeing signs that said "Dead End Road", but it was too late, we'd been sucked into the thing and couldn't turn back.

Big puddles.

Five rocky miles later the road dead-ended for real, not just a couple of rocks in the way, but a serious blockage. The sign said the closure was due to biota restoration (those dead-end signs were right!). I respect restoration, so we turned back.

Beauty shot.

Camp.

Day 35: Continue on NFR 041, left on Highway 150, left on NFR 081, right on NFR 109, left on NFR 032, north from Whitney Reservoir area to Wyoming, right on Chalk Creek Road, Highway 153 into Evanston.

I guess Kevin still had hope in the red dashed lines, so we tried one again. It had a very rough, rocky section - great way to start our day.

Tricky, technical and hard... but fun.

Fantastic view at Mirror Lakes area.

A fun bit of high altitude pavement. We passed a trailer and my bike shot up to 70 mph in a heart beat - a fast heart beat!

Another lake that we got lost around.

Started to feel very exhausted at this point after about ten days of long, hard riding. Right after having lunch at this spot Kevin went "splat" crossing a creek - his bike had died and slipped on a log in the water.

That's Wyoming in the distance. I kept dropping my bike because I was so worn out, so we headed into town to get food and a motel. "Ride when ready, rest when weary," I say.

Old marker (erected in 1873) in the southwest corner of Wyoming.

USGS benchmark on top.

Day 38: North on Highway 150, up Whitney Canyon, north along Bear River Divide, left on Highway 30 to Bear Lake, left on Highway 89.

We spent three days in Evanston, Wyoming, sitting in the bathtub and stretching out on a king-sized bed, but we were still tired.

We were lost in these hills, heading east when we wanted to be going west. All the roads led east.

Bear Lake looked so delicious to swim in, but we were too tired to get our gear off.

Day 39: Continue Highway 89 down Logan Canyon, Highway 30 east, north on Highway 13, across I-15 toward steel plant and Johnson Canyon, through Whites Valley to I-84 north, Highway 30 east to Highway 42, into Idaho, left on Strevell Road, left on NFR 001.

Logan Canyon was a blast.

This road went around each pasture in a weird, Tron-like pattern through this pretty Hidden Valley.

Our only campfire on the whole trip.

Day 40: Dirt bike trail to nowhere…

Thought we'd try another red dashed line...

It was burly from the start, but we were too tired to fight the thing and kept pushing forward and up.

Looking back down.

We climbed, and climbed, and climbed, but the trail never got better. After I wrapped my fender around a tree (it's surprisingly easy to do that on a bike), and wheelied off the back end of my bike and then watched it drive itself up the hill better than I'd have been able to, I was pretty certain that I was too tired to ride... but Kevin could still ride. I walked for a ways ("No way I'm turning around after the work I put in to getting this far") and he worked our bikes up the hill a ways (this is as dumb as it sounds).

Eventually the road disappeared and we had to turn back, but not until after Kevin fell trying to get our bikes up a ledge and stuck his hand into a cactus and landed with his hip on a wooden spear. It took me an hour to get all the thorns out of his glove.

We ended up camping 300 feet from where we'd camped the night before. This is why it took us 45 days to go 2600 miles.

Day 41: Back to Strevell Road, continue south-west through the Upper Narrows of the Raft River, north toward Moulton (Idaho), west through Granite Pass, left on Goose Creek Road, back into Nevada, past Trout Creek Ranch, toward Road 761.

The next day, a nice elderly couple offered us some watermellon with salt (our first time, yummy) and an accompanying Mormon sermon (we were still in Utah).

We took the long, flat way around the mountain.

Granite Pass was a fun section of the California Trail.

Lunch along the trail. The only trees for many miles.

Scenery is always changing.

We took some wrong turns through these hills and ended up on some heavily eroded roads. While the scenery and the weather changed daily, there were always cows. The cows in Utah were the most skitish, as if we were fire breathing monsters (I guess we sort of were); Nevada cows were the most laid back and just watched us with amusement - maybe envy; the California cows totally ignored us, snobby. Kevin openned and closed many gates through this area, each one a tangled, tight mess of wire like a Chinese puzzle.

Cooled off in the creek in this crazy canyon.

Not sure if this is Utah, Nevada, or Idaho.

The grasslands had suprisingly fun roads that went on forever.

Lost again. Oh, well.

Camped at the top of a windy hill; too exhausted to ride on. Apparently the no sleeping bag thing catches up to you after weeks of freezing every night.

'09 KTM 250 xcf-w (we'll never part)
'09 KTM 105 XC (now this is a bike!)
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #59
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa View Post
We ended up camping 300 feet from where we'd camped the night before. This is why it took us 45 days to go 2600 miles.

I've seen one of those 'California Trail' markers before, can't remember where it was?

Really enjoying the tale!!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #60
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,215
Great story and photos. Thank you!
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote