Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,690
SWAT2011 Jacksonville Fl to Wilkes Barre Pa the scenic route

Stupid Winter Adventure Tour *2011 AKA SWAT2011

** * * * * * * *Hello my name is Dennis and I am a whore. *Whenever someone is moving, I always offer to help. *All I ask is spot for my bike in the truck. And maybe a few bucks for gas to get home with. * I have gotten to see Omaha, KC, Greenvile SC, St Louis and a bunch of places in between. *And by the time the trips are over, I usually break even. *Sometimes I even come home with a few bucks and a good ride. *I am not proud. But *I love to ride and it’s the only way I can afford my silly trips.*

** * * * * * * *This year I bring you my Stupid Winter Tour for 2011. *Again I will be helping move people from one place to another. *All I ask is for a few dollars in my pocket and room for my bike and I will help anyone get across country(I am such a Whore). *This time we will drive from Pa to Jacksonville Florida. *That is where the bike and I get off *(I know, I know its lame that a trip begin with a trailer ride. *But I am poor and have little time. Not to mention the snow storm we left in. * So I do what I can rather than do nothing and cry about it). *I am going to Florida to shoot a friends Track Day at Jennings GP. *The free ride down is just a guarantee I get to the shoot. *A mid winter track day would really come in handy financially. And a free ride makes *the track day financially worth the trip. *My ride is getting me there a few days early, so I am going to wander a bit.

The first target is Key West. *I have been to Florida many times. *But I never made it to Key West. *I say target, because I have a little ADD. *A few drinks and a couple of strippers later and who knows where I will end up. *Where ever I go, I am sure it will be fun. *Will I make my Photo shoot? *Who knows? *I am sure I will make most of it. *Or at least some of it. *As long as I make it by the second day I will be ok. *I have from Jan 27th to Jan 29 or 30th to make the shoot(I should be there on the 29th). *I figure 2 nights camping and I will roll into Jennings before Lunch on the 29th. *Unless I am really having a good time or a horrible mechanical time. *The I will make it for day 2 the 30th.

From Jennings I will head to Atlanta for the night. *This will be my last safe haven before the cold ride back to PA. *Depending on the weather outlook is when I leave Atlanta. *I rushed in the past *only to sit in a hotel *for a day waiting out a storm. *I would rather stay at a friends an extra night then get stuck in a hotel again. *This last leg could be boring and cold. *Or snowy and endless. *Either way I can’t wait to hit the road.*

For those of you who want to follow along, I will be running the trackr program on the iphone. *So you will be able to follow along as I wander. * Just click on this link to follow along http://livetrackr.com/user/dennis190/ . *If anyone wants to get together for food or to ride along during my trip, *PM me. *I will check my PM’s at gas stops.*

Well I am off to bed and roll at dawn. I am not sure how lo g this report will last, but I will do my best to entertain.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:54 AM   #2
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Ok
Its just before 6am and in the 30s. What happened to Florida? I should have been rolling by now. But I had to unpack my warmer gear.
Let's get this thin started. Key West. Here I come.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

After driving a van yesterday for 18 hours. I am finding it real hard to ride today. The ride down re coast is far from interesting. So I tried to push thru fast to key west by sunset. But it looks like I will be a few minutes late.

255 Tavernier St, Tavernier, FL 33070, USA
Old 01-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Old 01-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
lcseds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Bring on the pics. Like you, I have been to Florida many times, but never south of center. I'd love a Key West adventure.
lcseds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

What a crap report this huh? I pushed really hard on day one. I had one goal on this trip. And that was to make Key West by sunset of day one.

And yes I made it. But at a price. 600 miles of superslab left me tired and bored. An not in the proper spirit of a ride. But a few drinks at the green parrot. And meeting Denis got my head right.

Sorry Denis. I am not sure what your adv name is. And I don't remember the name of the bar. But I remember the boobs and the awesome chili dogs.

Sorry no boobs. It was not a strip joint. They were amateur boobs. Nice.
Denis was nice enough to put me up in his boat. It was very cool. But the beer. The miles and lack of sleep made it a bit weird. But I slept like the dead.

While drinking with Denis he mentioned a few good dirt roads thru the Everglades. And while drunk it sounded lime a great idea to add a dirt section 1400 miles from home. So the next morning off I went.

I will post more on this in my next post. I got some riding to do.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,223
Nice.

Looking forward to more.

Looks like the bar was called "The Green Parrot Bar"
Old 01-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
Sorry Denis. I am not sure what your adv name is. And I don't remember the name of the bar. But I remember the boobs and the awesome chili dogs.
Hi Dennis.

Bar I met up with you was the Green Parrot, and the bar we went to for the food and entertainment was the Hogfish. Glad you enjoyed loop road; I knew you would. It's really not a hard road, practically any road bike could go through it (slowly), and it really gives you the feel of being in the everglades.

Great pictures so far; can't wait to see the pics from the track days!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

On day one while having breakfast I met a man named Greg. We talked bikes for while and he gave advice that I already knew. But needed. Schedules are a bad thing. I was so stressed to make the sunset. I forgot to have fun. Thanks for the adjustment Greg.

On Day 2 the schedule and plans went out the window. I stopped and talked to people. And to look at things. And had a much better day. I saw things like this.

But the highlight was Denis's loop road in the Everglades. A 30 mile or so of washed out swamp road. Nothing too challenging, but it was work. And really fun. At times it seemed endless. But always interesting. At first I was carefully going around puddles ad playing it safe. By the time I left I was just blasting down the road hitting puddles in 2nd and 3rd. Giggling like an idiot as the big BMW took it's little jumps. I saw all kinds if wild life. And considers actually camping. I stopped to mount the gopro and have a smoke and just take it all in. After a few minutes o being still, I started to here all kinds of movement. Big scary sounds in the weeds and trees around me. Then all kind of birds sounds. Call me a chicken. I decided not to camp.

When I finally got out I had lunch. I was on loop road for hours. I really lost track of time. I was half starved when I rolled into Joanies Blue Crab Cafe. I had a simple meal. Bacon Cheeseburger and fries. It was sooooo good.

Was it my mood? Or the ride? Who knows. But it was the best burger and fries I ever had. After that I wanted a nap. But I still had another 400 plus miles to go if I wanted to make my photo shoot on Saturday. So off I went.

I made good time heading north. After the 45 mph speed limits in the keys, i75's 80 mph cruising speed was refreshing. I made it just in time before the gates locked at 10pm. My friends were shit face and could not believe the ride I was on.

I pitched my tent. Drank the beer and gave them the Ride report. It was now midnight and time for bed.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Day 3- zero miles on the bike today. I am at Jennings GP shooting. I normally ride a few sessions before I shoot. But the last 3 days have me to beaten up. Not to mention the bike.
Yesterdays swamp hopping. Blew out a fork seal and left me with a few warning lights for abs. So I did my work and fixed the bike. Hopefully tomorrow I can squeeze a few laps in.

The bike is ready. Hopefully I will be too.

This should be fun.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
heffa
Canyon Hillbilly

Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
When I finally got out I had lunch. I was on loop road for hours. I really lost track of time. I was half starved when I rolled into Joanies Blue Crab Cafe. I had a simple meal. Bacon Cheeseburger and fries. It was sooooo good.

Yum!

Well, Strip my gears and call me Shiftless...

She said, " Your a Flippin' Moron!"
heffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:06 PM   #12
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 772
Swat 2011

Very nice! Like the EARTH sticker too. Watch out for dragging those engine guards on the track!

Old 01-30-2011, 05:57 AM   #13
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Foggy morning. Let's see what today is going be like.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:43 AM   #14
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Well my bike failed tech with no abs and a blown fork seal. So no track for me. So I set the gps for no highways and started early for Atlanta. Should be a nice ride on a nice day.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #15
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

I crossed most of Georgia today using no interstates. It was real relaxing.

I thought I went south instead of north when I saw these 2 characters playing in a field.

And again, the fog was very pretty this morning.

The bike is tucked in for the night. Blown fork seal, no speedo and a flashing abs light, tomorrow will be our biggest day. We are going 800 miles back to Pa.