Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #166
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,452
I use that calculator too, awesome tool. My rear is a 150/70-18 so yeah, it's slightly down from stock.
Dave had a 47T on the rear with the stock 15T front & with the 18" knobby it was capable, but geared a bit tall for tight stuff for my taste.
Sanjo recommended the 52T rear & I happened to have one left over from my KTM (they don't wear out) & it feels good to me riding around the hood without a seat. It clutches off from a standstill just right IMHO.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #167
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,859
15/52 works great off road, on road Rs are a bit higher but had no effect on mileage on my bike.

The motor is very lumpy around 3k which the stock gearing keeps you in very often. This gearing gets you out of that range!

Can't wait to see the mounted fairing
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #168
4play
Next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post

Can't wait to see the mounted fairing
Here you go, I like it!
As a bonus the gauge mounting I made looks like I built it for this fairing.

Looks like I'm going to need a longer front brake hose to play nice with the fairing because the bar riers & the bike has a 320mm rotor & that uses up some hose with the caliper relocation.

4play screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 05:56 PM
4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #169
4play
Next?

Curious about the color choice for the headlight straps? but I guess that was a color the Thinja needed anyway

Powered up!

Old 05-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #170
4play
Next?

I have everything installed & hooked up ready to ride, minus the seat.
With the versys tank full (5.4 gallons) the thing weighs 442 lbs or 408 without fuel.
I doubt the seat will weigh more than 8lbs. So it's 100lbs lighter than a comparably equipped KTM 990 Adventuire. Not as light as I hoped, but really not that bad.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #171
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
I have everything installed & hooked up ready to ride, minus the seat.
With the versys tank full (5.4 gallons) the thing weighs 442 lbs or 408 without fuel.
I doubt the seat will weigh more than 8lbs. So it's 100lbs lighter than a comparably equipped KTM 990 Adventuire. Not as light as I hoped, but really not that bad.
My Ninja weighs 446 with stock tank (full) stock Ninja wheels, a back tire on front wheel and a lot of mud. ( was at a dual sport ride when i weighed it on a deer scale)

I was thinking yours was going to be a lot lighter. I know yours holds one and a half more gallons of fuel but i will have to weigh mine without mud to see the true difference. Nice work your doing.

Without mud.

2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #172
4play
Next?

I was hoping so too, my nieve hope/goal was 400lbs. The extra fuel is ~10lbs, the passenger peg brackets I'm guessing are 16lbs for the pair, & the skid pan & it's brackets I would guess 8lbs or so. If I remove all that stuff & the engine guards it'll be below 400lbs full of fuel. I'm "thinking about making my own engine gaurds & skid pan in the interest of weight, but that weight is all carried pretty low which is one of the reasons I still have the stock heavy muffler. If I like the bike as much as I think I will, I plan to strip it for paint or powdercoat eventually & part of that process will be looking at weight savings.

Nice Bike!

BTW I have a spare black bedlined Ninja tank that would look perfect on your ride
Old 06-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #173
4play
Next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Awesome job!

gearingcommander.com should help you get the gearing exact. If I used your specs, and assume you have a 140/80 18 rear tire, 15t front sprocket and the 52 out back, you are gearing it down slightly.

Stock 5500 rpm in 6th= 73.4 MPH
Yours 5500 RPM in 6th= 70.9 MPH

Theoretically.

I went down 1 tooth up front and used a 47 out back which was almost identical to the stock gearing. I have an old 47 sprocket which is what I want to test so I'll decided if I like it and order the new rear shortly probably close to the ratio you have. Did yours seem geared low enough for dual sporting?
Still waiting on the seat, (Fisher is having issues getting the foam he uses) but I'm hoping to have it next week. I had to have my company truck serviced & had no one to pick me up 25 miles away. I looked around the garage & even without the seat the Ninja was the best choice to throw in the bed. So I did a hwy run sitting on the frame of my multi colored mutant & it did pretty well. Sanjoh's fairing is very promising, I imitated my riding position as IF I had a seat. the wind management at 65-75mph was very good. The 15/52 Gearing feels a little low cruising 75, but I think it's a pretty good compromise for difficult offroad. I'll do some real testing once I have a friggen seat but I'm thinking a 50T might be the ticket. The speedo is reading about 8% high compare to my GPS.
I'm trying to decide if I want to touch up the maroon frame & paint the tank black (ala Ducati), or paint/powdercoat the frame silver or black & keep some color on the tank. Opinions?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #174
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Got seat yet?

I like the paint on kubiaks bmw

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/...psd8a15015.jpg
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #175
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Still waiting on the seat, (Fisher is having issues getting the foam he uses) but I'm hoping to have it next week. I had to have my company truck serviced & had no one to pick me up 25 miles away. I looked around the garage & even without the seat the Ninja was the best choice to throw in the bed. So I did a hwy run sitting on the frame of my multi colored mutant & it did pretty well. Sanjoh's fairing is very promising, I imitated my riding position as IF I had a seat. the wind management at 65-75mph was very good. The 15/52 Gearing feels a little low cruising 75, but I think it's a pretty good compromise for difficult offroad. I'll do some real testing once I have a friggen seat but I'm thinking a 50T might be the ticket. The speedo is reading about 8% high compare to my GPS.
I'm trying to decide if I want to touch up the maroon frame & paint the tank black (ala Ducati), or paint/powdercoat the frame silver or black & keep some color on the tank. Opinions?
I might have a 50t (ktm pattern) if you want to swap

Great to hear about your experience with the fairing

Lots of cheap seats on Ebay.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #176
4play
Next?

The seat will ship out today They normally turn a seat in a week, but had issues with their foam supplier. The foam they used on my KTM seat was ideal & I wouldn't settle for any substitutions. It's a firm foam, not corbin firm but what ever he uses doesn't break down much.

Nice BMW, that large rear tire is TW looking..

Sanjoh, I couldn't use a stock seat anymore after making room for the rear wheel travel. I'll let you know on the sprocket swap as soon as I get some riding in.

4play screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 08:44 AM
4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #177
4play
Next?

Worth the wait

Old 06-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #178
4play
Next?

Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #179
4play
Next?

Took the wife for a ride earlier & was very impressed. The way Fisher reshaped the seat there was a suprising amount of room. The ride was very cushy & the bike drove really well around the hood. We've had a few road bikes & her coments were all positive about her comfort & seating position. Next up is the Wolfman saddlebag mounting & then I'm going to start painting/powdercoating. With the seat all black, I'm leaning toward painting the tank black & eventually the frame. I'm planning a mild offroad ride Saturday, I'm anxious to see how it handles with the altered wheelbase. I have not installed the .54kg front springs yet, as tall as it is with the too soft stock springs, I'm wondering about limiting the travel to 10" so my toes can touch the ground, It's not taller than my KTM, but the frame is wider, so that uses up leg length...
Old 06-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #180
4play
Next?

Did a bit of two track & gravel today & finished it off with a I-17 85mph hwy blast back to the truck.

I had a long section with small water bars every 50 yards or so, just big enough for 2' or so of air in 3rd & 4th gear (which is about as high as I want to be as is) The rear suspension is much better than it was, could use a tad more dampening both in compression & rebound, the front forks felt much better with the .52kg springs I installed yesterday. The Versys fuel tank had the unexpected benefit of being shorter. With the nose of the seat extended I can sit that much closer to the bars, I don't feel like I'm reaching for them like I did with the Ninja tank. The foot pegs feel just right to me, any lower & I'd be worried about snagging my feet on rocks.

I owned a KTM990 Adventure S for a while & I can honestly say I like this better. It feels a lot like an Adventure, but very noticably lighter & more flickable.