Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #61
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
I just had Spencer do his LD mod to my Versys seat.....$120 including shipping both ways from Detroit. It improved my seat from less than 2 hours before I had to stretch up to 3 hours before needing to get off.
MN_Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:37 PM   #62
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
Thanks for the link, SJ. Ii'm going to give this bastard a little time. I shoved the wheelbarrow inner tube into a nylon satchel and attached some squeeze clips to the front to hold it on. I then put a folded rain jacket in the donut hole area of the tube. It raises the seat position a few inches and it feels good so far, (seating ergos, sit/stand transition).

It is very ugly to look at but i don't shiv a git. how much does an air hawk cost? How about the spencer mod?

Ugly even on a rat build

Seat mod with the ld option is $75 +ship. The stock seat has a crown in it which you already know about, no crown with the modified seat.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 AM   #63
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Ugly even on a rat build...
can't be...anything goes. spencer or the big air hawk will do it. ride all day. i use the air hawk, bought a like new one from the flea section.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #64
LoCoMatt
Busy

Oddometer: 491
freakin' cool! I think you've pulled off the "poor man's F800" quite well!

I might have to try this after my current project ...
LoCoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #65
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,742
Any news on this one?

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #66
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
Cool bike man.

Here is something else you can do with a Ninja motor... build yourself a hill climb bike out of it like my neighbor did. Frame and swingarm are his design.

The bike in the background is a RD350 motor in a CR250 chassis... hill climbers are a little ..... off

Oh and if you really want nutz....how about a zx1000 climber on nos! Yep he built this one also

Anyways... back to your build. Love where your going with it.
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #67
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
that hillclimb rig looks nasty. Sorry this has been dormant for a while. I've been busy riding

I met my brother out in colorado. hadn't ridden with him in 20 years so i hauled a few bikes out for some fun, including the Thinja.

She's heavy but very capable. I couldn't go very fast in the whoops because the suspension is pretty soft. very docile and tractable everywhere. Superb low end grunt with zero hit anywhere.

The stock muffler is very quiet and you can lug the thing so low that its almost silent on the trails. I rode it standing 100% like a normal trail bike and worked the clutch with regularity; totally normal. Fan was almost always on as we climbed up to 11000 feet in first and second gear.

I was glad i put the chin fairing back on as I haven't built a skid plate for it yet. I rode it places I shouldn't have but had a ball.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #68
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

As you might imagine, it was an ideal bike for cruising around Yellowstone.

I got lucky with this shot as far as framing the subject on the fly.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #69
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

helmetcam

Bikepilot was concerned with the ground clearance measurement with respect to the suspension travel numbers. I took it fairly easy on the bike as I was a long way from home but there was a particular water break that i sailed off that resulted in a bottoming scenario. Perfectly flat launch and landing with a nice balanced bottoming of both front and rear suspenders. No chassis was dragged nor was I ejected from the cockpit.

No footpegs were snapped either but i have found the bike worthy enough to warrant the footpeg upgrade, especially as my feet were sore from standing on the thin buggers all the time.

Jeep trails and OHV trails in CO:

I hate that the video makes the slopes less steep and the rocks less big
Old 08-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #70
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
[QUOTE=dentvet;16577329]As you might imagine, it was an ideal bike for cruising around Yellowstone.

How true, this engine is so sweet for dual sport use. Kawi should build a Versys with wire wheels and longer suspenders.

Great to see you out enjoying the bike. I just got back from Montana on mine, worked great, loved riding it.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #71
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmklx View Post

How true, this engine is so sweet for dual sport use. Kawi should build a Versys with wire wheels and longer suspenders.

Great to see you out enjoying the bike. I just got back from Montana on mine, worked great, loved riding it.

Your build and saddle time have blown mine away, good job. I just got a spool gun so maybe i can stitch some aluminum plates together at least.

I probably saw 2000 harleys on my trip out west given that sturgis was imminent. vroom vroom....
However, this bike stood out from the crowd,

Is it a tdm, xlv etc?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #72
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 413
How is that rear suspension working? That funky arrangement is the only thing that makes me hesitate to dive in and build one of these myself. Somehow it just seems wrong to me to only have about half as much travel in back as you have in front. It also looks like the front rides a little higher...? Creating great high speed stability, slow turning response and poor front end traction...? I'm just speculating now of course. I've also been a dirt bike rider for 36 years and I'm fussy about handling, so maybe I'd never be happy with it

Regarding the oil drain plug extending down so far: I was at the Sacramento mile flattrack race and several race bikes were powered by ninja 650s. I noticed the plug was not sticking down. I asked a race team mechanic. He said they cut it up and then weld it back on.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:10 AM   #73
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
However, this bike stood out from the crowd,

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr10/dentvet/122.jpg

Is it a tdm, xlv etc?

That's a Yamaha XTZ 750 SuperTenere.

http://youtu.be/3E9GoWdDNHo
Old 08-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #74
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegroove View Post
How is that rear suspension working? That funky arrangement is the only thing that makes me hesitate to dive in and build one of these myself. Somehow it just seems wrong to me to only have about half as much travel in back as you have in front. It also looks like the front rides a little higher...? Creating great high speed stability, slow turning response and poor front end traction...? I'm just speculating now of course. I've also been a dirt bike rider for 36 years and I'm fussy about handling, so maybe I'd never be happy with it

Regarding the oil drain plug extending down so far: I was at the Sacramento mile flattrack race and several race bikes were powered by ninja 650s. I noticed the plug was not sticking down. I asked a race team mechanic. He said they cut it up and then weld it back on.
I just copied somebody else's build without too much analysis beforehand. The bike seems to handle OK but I can't say I have pushed it very hard. I also haven't tried to tune the suspension either. It has forks from a 250# MX bike and a shock from another brand of sportbike with linkage-type suspension.

I measured the rake; 32 degrees

I measured the trail; 133mm

I could reduce rake by dropping the forks in the triples at the expense of wheel travel (might make it more balanced)

I could reduce trail by switching to a 19 inch wheel or 17 at the expense of obstacle rolling ability?

I don't know if I need to do any of theses things because I have nothing to complain about yet.

As far as the oil pan, I have found it a non-issue so far because the stock muffler protects it pretty well and I still have pretty decent ground clearance.

I just built this a fun project on the cheap so maybe I don't expect too much out of it. Thanks for getting me to think about how it might be improved upon.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #75
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

Still picking away at some of the loose ends. There was no mudguard whatsoever in front of the rear tire and the rear mudguard had been hacked off so there is mud splattered all over the poor bike.

Conveniently one of the fenders in the parts bin is silver rather than the typical orange or blue. Some quick bandsaw surgery yielded appropriate tissue grafts for mud abatement.

Better than nothing, i guess.