Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #271
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinggnome View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I refuse to give up these years for anything other then what I want. You have your entire life to work for someone else (if that's really the way you want to go about making a living). My advice, work for yourself; be your own boss and set your own schedule. I'm 25 and have been all over the world on what i make bartending/serving tables and flipping anything of value (mainly camera equipment, cars, and motorcycles). As of today, I have 4 motorcycles, 2 cars and a house (albeit I do have roommates that help with the monthly bills). There is ALWAYS a way to get the things you want and slaving your life away working for someone else isn't the only option. Don't buy into that crap; think, and do, for yourself.

My girlfriend passed away suddenly a year and a half ago at the age of 24; screw all of those people who tell you to wait until you're older... YOU ARE NOT GUARANTEED THAT TIME.

Time is fleeting; your life is NOW. GO!
Sorry for your loss.That is such a tragic loss.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:10 AM   #272
muddysoles
The cubicle traveler

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by anciano View Post

in one trip there were kids taking a break before beginning a career, a young man taking a break from his career and an old man worried about getting back to his career

wayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
epic. Mint. Stellar. A perfect reminder that careers are part of life, not life itself...at any age.

Thanks for passing on the inspiration!
word!
muddysoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #273
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
Been subscribing to this thread since OP. had a few arguments with some as to how this can be done; one thing I can say to anyone under 30 and not married. Do this now and life will bring you many interesting opportunities. I traveled to Europe when I was in my 20's, but not on an adventure motorcycle. Had I know, I would have certainly gone this route. I travel in short stints now and wish I had 2-3 years to take to discover the world. Kids, wife and career has kept me from my dream. And I think about this every single day. I am leaving for Europe next month to ride "solo" for 2 months, something I've wanted to do for 20 years. Everyone that I have met that followed their dream when they were young were far more happier than those who followed the "status quo" and did what every else did.

I'm now 56 and finally have the time to take to ride for an extended time. You can find a way and the money when you are young. Older takes far more money and generally far less time to enjoy the adventure...

http://www.maxdumaz.com

My situation mirrors yours, only I'm ~18 years behind you. I have a house in Italy, and before the little one ( She's 20 months now) we used to go to Italy for 4-6 weeks per year.

Now, with businesses, kid, dog, house, etc., I'm not sure when I'll make it back to Italy.

I wish I would've found this website before I got married. I would've loved to do a RTW trip before life's responsibilities(my choice of course) came around.

Now all I can do is eat well, work out, not smoke and drink, and hope that when the kiddo ships off to college, that I'm healthy enough to do a big trip like that.
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #274
El_Duderino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Hey mate! I'm 32, single with no kids, and own my house. Always worked my arse off, but thanks to a number of American companies downsizing/closing their doors, am left with not much alternative but to sell up and move on. Only have my dad here as family now and cannot afford to move closer, nor are there job opportunities locally, so I either have to move inter-state where I know nobody, or just sell the house and travel while I can make the most of things. VERY tempting for the latter given the reading experiences of many. I know your frustrations well having spent years "working for the man", and appreciating this is a last chance before life limits you in many ways to fulfilling your dreams. Tough call which even I haven't yet figured out so far! I'm very fortunate to have an ex who is a great friend who looks after me and is supportive of my plans either way...hard to explain but am very lucky to have such great support and care behind me regardless

El_Duderino screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 09:12 AM
El_Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #275
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by traindriver View Post
I'am 53 and have worked for the same company 30 years. I get 5 weeks vacation a year. my first wife didn't understand. second one does. when summer comes. I say I love you honey I'll see you in 5 weeks. Most trips arent planed just a destination. I camp almost every night to save money. Ride a cheap bike klr. I use my work time for day dreaming and planning my next destination.
That was the same story for me at 53. Retired at 54 and have taken a few long trips but mostly overnighters now. I get so geeked up reading ride reports. I have the time and money and bikes to do what I want but stick close to home for some reason. I like kayaking and bicycling too so that takes up some of my energy. My wife gets pissed and tells me just to go! I'll start collecting SS soon. Maybe the extra cash will be a motivator? Hopefully before the winter sets in.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #276
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
That was the same story for me at 53. Retired at 54 and have taken a few long trips but mostly overnighters now. I get so geeked up reading ride reports. I have the time and money and bikes to do what I want but stick close to home for some reason. I like kayaking and bicycling too so that takes up some of my energy. My wife gets pissed and tells me just to go! I'll start collecting SS soon. Maybe the extra cash will be a motivator? Hopefully before the winter sets in.
it is the lazy syndrome. It is comfortable inside, it never rains, always the perfect temperature, there is always food and the bed is always comfortable. Get out, go. Even when I had the time and sometimes it was rough getting started. Once on the road, I forgot all the reason I did NOT leave...I don't even know what I was thinking! Now, I am broker then broke and can think of nothing but leaving on a road trip.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:42 AM   #277
Sytadel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Just chipping in my 2c. I'm a 26 y/o male, you could say young professional.

I haven't done a big trip yet (biggest is 8 days, north island NZ) but am planning to do a RTW trip during my next big career change. I know it will come because I'm restless in work. I think I have a good few years more doing what I am but think that the time to do the trip will be around my early 30s - what some might call the tail-end of youth.

What I can suggest is to start saving *now*. Here's what I do:
  • No dependants/mortgage/bank loans/credit card etc.
  • I don't eat out. Learn to cook. It's more impressive to the ladies anyway.
  • Travel local and cheaply. I take lots of long weekends to go hiking or camping. This lets you hit the reset button on work without breaking the bank. A night under the stars can accomplish as much as an international trip sometimes.
  • Learn to enjoy free art/culture. I download lots of movies, read books, and only rarely buy video games. I volunteer not just because I'm a nice guy but because it's a cheap way to meet interesting people in your own town.
In the end, every single week is really just rent, utilities, and food. I bank half my paycheck. I've saved enough that I could quit my job tomorrow and not work for 3-4 years.

I know there's a lot of "Carpe diem" in this thread, but saving when you're young and holding off on that *massive* trip doesn't mean you're not living. I still have a good time on and off the cycle and I don't feel I'm missing out by saving money.

Edit: That said, I'd LOVE to hear from anyone who has done / knows someone who has done the full vagabond route.
Sytadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #278
JoeFab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
i'm 65 and due to retire in oct. i read 'adv' every day and live my adventures through you guys. i have wanted to go on long trips but can't bring myself to do it. i haven't got a 'bucket list' because i will never get it done. all you youngsters...go and do it now !!! you will end up like me otherwise...j.f.
JoeFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:00 AM   #279
ta-rider
Returned from Africa

Oddometer: 134
After i have finished my studys i got rid of my flat, sold most of my stuff on ebay and went around Africa for two years:

http://afrikamotorrad.eu/?report=en_transafrika

Its so easy...you just have to do it!!!
Tobi
ta-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #280
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFab View Post
i'm 65 and due to retire in oct. i read 'adv' every day and live my adventures through you guys. i have wanted to go on long trips but can't bring myself to do it. i haven't got a 'bucket list' because i will never get it done. all you youngsters...go and do it now !!! you will end up like me otherwise...j.f.
If you're in good health and have some money, it seems like you're in great shape to do it.

One thing I never understood is why a lot people seem to get tied up in RTW or nothing mentality. One group does ride to Magadan or Alaska and all the sudden everyone wants to check off that box. It's silly. People don't climb Everest as their first summit, and we don't go on 600 mile day rides on our first day after getting a license.

Moto travel is the same way. Small trips and small experiences slowly build up to bigger trips. We learn about ourselves and what we like in our trips and what we don't like in our trips. Subsequent trips become easier, not harder, even though on paper they might seem more intimidating. I encourage everyone to start progressively instead of jumping into the deep end.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #281
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
If you're in good health and have some money, it seems like you're in great shape to do it.

One thing I never understood is why a lot people seem to get tied up in RTW or nothing mentality. One group does ride to Magadan or Alaska and all the sudden everyone wants to check off that box. It's silly. People don't climb Everest as their first summit, and we don't go on 600 mile day rides on our first day after getting a license.

Moto travel is the same way. Small trips and small experiences slowly build up to bigger trips. We learn about ourselves and what we like in our trips and what we don't like in our trips. Subsequent trips become easier, not harder, even though on paper they might seem more intimidating. I encourage everyone to start progressively instead of jumping into the deep end.
As a new rider (3rd year) and someone new to the ADV bug, personally, I've given that same concept lots of thought. I would like to start on 2-day trips, then say week long excursions, then eventually a bigger one. maybe a few weeks or two months.

I don't see why people want to rush into the big ones right away. Dont rush things, enjoy the time doing them. Im soon to be 27 and all I can think about is riding and taking trips. Im slowly acquiring the right gear. I can't wait to pull the trigger the first time, but when I do, I want to take my time, aim at the target and execute. Granted, sh*t happens... But hope for the best
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #282
E-Bum
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sytadel View Post
Just chipping in my 2c. I'm a 26 y/o male, you could say young professional.

I haven't done a big trip yet (biggest is 8 days, north island NZ) but am planning to do a RTW trip during my next big career change. I know it will come because I'm restless in work. I think I have a good few years more doing what I am but think that the time to do the trip will be around my early 30s - what some might call the tail-end of youth.

What I can suggest is to start saving *now*. Here's what I do:
  • No dependants/mortgage/bank loans/credit card etc.
  • I don't eat out. Learn to cook. It's more impressive to the ladies anyway.
  • Travel local and cheaply. I take lots of long weekends to go hiking or camping. This lets you hit the reset button on work without breaking the bank. A night under the stars can accomplish as much as an international trip sometimes.
  • Learn to enjoy free art/culture. I download lots of movies, read books, and only rarely buy video games. I volunteer not just because I'm a nice guy but because it's a cheap way to meet interesting people in your own town.
In the end, every single week is really just rent, utilities, and food. I bank half my paycheck. I've saved enough that I could quit my job tomorrow and not work for 3-4 years.

I know there's a lot of "Carpe diem" in this thread, but saving when you're young and holding off on that *massive* trip doesn't mean you're not living. I still have a good time on and off the cycle and I don't feel I'm missing out by saving money.

Edit: That said, I'd LOVE to hear from anyone who has done / knows someone who has done the full vagabond route.
I just turned 25, same boat as you. Agree completely that although your sights may be set on a massive trip, building up to it by accumulating smaller and just as important trips and adventures should also be a priority.
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #283
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795
Quote:
One thing I never understood is why a lot people seem to get tied up in RTW or nothing mentality. . . .

Moto travel is the same way. Small trips and small experiences slowly build up to bigger trips. We learn about ourselves and what we like in our trips and what we don't like in our trips. Subsequent trips become easier, not harder, even though on paper they might seem more intimidating. . .

nice. i agree with you. however, in the end the average factors that seem to enable people to take "long term" (I suppose "long term" = 1+ years ?) always seem to be: 1. no children 2. no wife 3. no career 4. a stash of cash and 5. owning a piece of shit KLR

I've taken a number of trips, the majority of them being 2 weeks and 3 of them being over a month and one of them being for 3 months in china.

the title of this thread is "long term bike trips.. HOW do you do it? "

so... what exactly is long term ? personally i do not even remotely desire to be on the road for over 4 months ... i actually enjoy my life

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #284
JoeFab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:

thank you sir !...j.f.
JoeFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #285
oldNbold
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I am 62. Plan to retire at 65. I don't have much retirement money stashed away. Bounced around through too many jobs. Never made enough to save much. Still plan to travel long distance. Its kind of a challenge to do it on the cheap. I am looking forward to it.
By the way. I teach in a community college. I have 6 weeks off in the summer that is if I don't take on extra contracted training for industry during that time.
oldNbold is offline   Reply With Quote