User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2011, 08:00 AM   #76
LngRidr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
get a job teaching

Teaching gives you 3 months over the summer and many 3 day weekends and weeks off throughout the year. The best part of the job is it gives me plenty of time to do things i really enjoy.
IBA# 24562
LngRidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #77
T!Mster
Lets Ride!!

Oddometer: 291
A new job!

Not sure what profession you are in, but there are plenty of jobs overseas that are seasonal type jobs. Computers, aviation, construction. You name it, its probably over here. I work 6 months over here and then have 3 months off. Absolutely nothing to do for those 3 months but ride! And drink!! And the money that you make in the 6 months MORE than makes up for all you spend in the 3 months. Paid for the Duc and plenty of riding goodies and more! Doing the lower 48 on the Duc in May with a buddy from over here! I am 25.
T!Mster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #78
WaywardRider
a geek on two

Oddometer: 40
Not the usual or recommended scenario, but its what's allowing me to plan a 2-month solo ride: have the business you own (and which was your livelihood) destroyed due to a fire; be embroiled in a lawsuit against the property owner where the trial date isn't until July at best; be unable to find a new location where you can reopen; realize that there's bugger all you can do to change the situation until the trial, except ...

... stop sitting around fretting about things and having nothing to do except sit around and fret about things.

My response to that realization? Get on the bike and ride ... suddenly life is simpler and has some joy in it. The mis-named "justice system" may yet screw me, but nothing will take away the ride I'm about to embark on.

And as much as I don't want to lose everything I've worked/sacrificed for the past 6 years (house, business), I'm remembering that I was once quite happy with nothing more than I could carry in a rucksack.

I can go back to that if I have to ... and might even be happier with just a bike and some gear, rather than a mortgage, employees, and cable TV.

'09 Triumph Bonneville
'02 Suzuki GZ250

Blog of Spring 2011 Solo Ride through the US: http://www.waywardrider.com
WaywardRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:16 AM   #79
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardRider View Post
Not the usual or recommended scenario, but its what's allowing me to plan a 2-month solo ride: have the business you own (and which was your livelihood) destroyed due to a fire; be embroiled in a lawsuit against the property owner where the trial date isn't until July at best; be unable to find a new location where you can reopen; realize that there's bugger all you can do to change the situation until the trial, except ...

... stop sitting around fretting about things and having nothing to do except sit around and fret about things.

My response to that realization? Get on the bike and ride ... suddenly life is simpler and has some joy in it. The mis-named "justice system" may yet screw me, but nothing will take away the ride I'm about to embark on.

And as much as I don't want to lose everything I've worked/sacrificed for the past 6 years (house, business), I'm remembering that I was once quite happy with nothing more than I could carry in a rucksack.

I can go back to that if I have to ... and might even be happier with just a bike and some gear, rather than a mortgage, employees, and cable TV.
It appears you may have the right attitude.

Hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted. Link to RR. It is sure to at least define things in - if not clear - your head.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #80
aholecop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Thumb

[QUOTE=WaywardRider;15340989]Not the usual or recommended scenario, but its what's allowing me to plan a 2-month solo ride: have the business you own (and which was your livelihood) destroyed due to a fire; be embroiled in a lawsuit against the property owner where the trial date isn't until July at best; be unable to find a new location where you can reopen; realize that there's bugger all you can do to change the situation until the trial, except ...

I can go back to that if I have to ... and might even be happier with just a bike and some gear, rather than a mortgage, employees, and cable TV.[/QUOTE
aholecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:51 AM   #81
WaywardRider
a geek on two

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
It appears you may have the right attitude.

Hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted. Link to RR. It is sure to at least define things in - if not clear - your head.

Cheers!

Definitely planning on posting in RR.

Have been (sometimes with discontent) tied to one place for too long (spent over a decade travelling around the world on my own before house and business), and the ride will remind me that I can indeed get by with "nothing more than a pack and a song."

Circumstances are changing no matter what, and not yet sure which way the wind is blowing, but have needed a self-inflicted kick in the arse to remind myself that I can be happy with very fecking little.

A long distance ride should be a damn fine and affirming reminder.

'09 Triumph Bonneville
'02 Suzuki GZ250

Blog of Spring 2011 Solo Ride through the US: http://www.waywardrider.com
WaywardRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:14 AM   #82
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,346
Are you a male??? Find and marry a girl whose parents are wealthy vineyard owners and beer wholesalers. Sponge off her parents. If you are a good looking girl, find some hapless dude whose parents are wealthy vineyard owners and beer wholesalers. Sponge off of his parents.

Problem solved!

Anyway, you can enjoy yourself now thinking you might get hit by a bus load of nuns tomorrow, but then you end up living to be really old and have no money because you lived for the moment every day, so then you will be screwed. OR, you can save up everything you can now, waiting for the moment you have a great stash of cash, and then you retire and head off on your great adventure and as you pull out of your driveway to ride for a year you get hit by a bus load of nuns, Splat.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #83
Paambu
Call me Gops

Oddometer: 35
I believe that living the moment is any day better than waiting for things to fall into place. Im 37, quit my job when I was 30 (I loved my by job but it was getting to be more of a routine, 10 days was all I could take off in a stretch and, I could only dream of long rides.) The next four years were hard, tried various things, wildlife photographer, graphic designer, researcher, voluntary worker... and started my own graphic design firm in 2007. Since 2008 Ive been taking off for at least one whole month at a stretch. And there were numerous day and week end trips. 2009 did a 90 day solo trip to Ladakh (Himalayas), India. 2010 to Kathmandu, Nepal (unfortunately not on a motorcycle). As I am writing this Im preparing for a 10day ride beginning 12 March in Kerala, South India. Being your own boss certainly helps... Having an understanding client helps even more... when your work is good, they don't mind waiting till you got back from the ride. It is another thing that I do not have (at the moment) that many family responsibilities as I am single...I only hope that I find a mate who also loves being on the road, hehehe And I am dreaming of doing a world tour before I pop
Paambu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #84
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
some interesting stuff here:

http://www.vagabonding.net/book/
Old 03-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #85
darkhelmetnl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
At the moment I'm thirty (*sigh*) and getting to my first bigger trip.

i've saved 3 years when i leave for a 4 month trip. Luckily i a great employer who allows me to have 4 months of unpayed leave. And i think it might be easier over here as well the (Netherlands that is), we have law that allows you to save money for unpayed leave of absence.

I'm working as an IT consultant, business is good and they'll be happy to have me back because it's hard to find skilled people. Luck I have is that my manager digs travelling. The first thing he said when i told about my plans was "cool!". If my employer didnt want me to go, i would've quit i guess. My dreams are more important to me than working....
darkhelmetnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #86
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by hektoglider View Post

+1
Old 03-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #87
DowDuer
!rn00b-aK

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post

I'd second that motion and recomend reading Chris Gillebeau's writing also. He is trying to visit every country in the world in five years. http://chrisguillebeau.com/3x5/

Tim Ferris also has a lot of neat ideas.
DowDuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #88
Gentri in GA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Thumb The right job, job, job but you need to save, save, save.

Flexibility in employment is the key to travel regularly I believe, but you aren't going anywhere without money. Teacher, consultant, self employed in the cloud, easily employed everywhere: bartender, English teacher/tutor. Sought after profession that is project oriented: any engineer, software programmer, etc. It ends you travel till next one comes along.... but you still need to save the $$$ to go.

I've managed to travel quite a bit, motoless. Working for an airline helped, becoming unemployed and traveling for over a year, "helped", interest in places languages, cultures and geography motivates... and helps. Being frugal helps. Not spending every dime on crap that we are told we need "helps". Not knocking up your SO when you really don't want a family would also be high on my list of things best not done... and it is avoidable. child support does NOT help....

I currently work in a cube farm "doing" IT... my odometer rolled over 10 years in January here... but I found an old email from 4 years ago saying I would pull my hair out if I was here another month... oops.

I am in my 40's and bought my first moto last year after wanting one since my teens. The longest trip I have done on the moto was riding to Tybee Island at a cracking distance of 240 miles one way last weekend.... I'm hooked.

Step out if you can, have a long term plan, think about what you want out of life... if you can figure that out, you've gone a long way to sorting some of the bigger things in life out and can then plan it all accordingly... and remember the plan can change..... good luck.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #89
judgebill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
You have the time to do what you want

Ever notice it's usually other people who have "patience", not you. The saying usually is "I don't have the patience to do xxxx". Well, the truth is, we somehow find the time to do what we really want to do. Some will focus their lives on doing something, others will work so they can pursue their hobby. The truth is, we all make our own accommodations to whatever priorities we are willing to honor. Nothing wrong with that. But it's not fair to yourself to be upset that others seem to find the time to do what you want to do but you don't find the time. Truth; you will find the time to do what you REALLY want to do. So if you want to ride more, do it. But don't complain that you have a mortgage, kids to educate and a family to feed and that's why you don't have the time to ride. Stop whining and acknowledge the priorities you have chosen. Whatever they are. This is not meant to criticize anyone who has made any choices...but it is a pull on the old leg to get you to recognize that you have already made choices...and can make different ones now. Your option.
By the way, I began riding at the ripe old age of 73. On my 3rd bike. I honestly wasn't interested before. Now I love it and ride whenever I make the opportunity.
judgebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #90
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowDuer View Post
I'd second that motion and recomend reading Chris Gillebeau's writing also. He is trying to visit every country in the world in five years. http://chrisguillebeau.com/3x5/

Tim Ferris also has a lot of neat ideas.
Thanks for that one.

The quality of your life truly is a product of your choices. We all have different levels of cash and income, but we all have the same amount of time. In that regard we are all equally wealthy. Now, how you choose to "spend " that wealth is another matter.......

Someone once told me the reason time seems to go by faster as you age. When you were 4 years old, and became 5, it took 20 percent of your life for that one year to pass. When you are fifty, that year blinks by....because now it is only 2% .........