User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #76
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Gaskets Question

I'm needing to order several gaskets for this bike. I need valve cover, clutch and ignition cover, possibly oil pan. I figured it would be just as easy and cheap to order a complete gasket kit for it rather than each one piece by piece but I'm not finding total sets for this particular model. I AM finding them for 83-85 VF700C though. Are the gasket sets the same? Would it work for that I need?
Old 07-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #77
chammyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
they should be the same, the only difference between the 7 and 750 is the stroke from what I can gather. However i wouldn't bet the farm on it... A small seal or something will no doubt differ

I haven't been able to get the correct pads for the rear brake, none even supplied by Honda are big enough to cover the braking surface area as it should. Which is annoying.
1988 Honda CB 350 SG

chammyman screwed with this post 07-22-2011 at 11:11 AM
chammyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #78
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Uh-Oh, what the hell is this?

So while swapping out my newly polished clutch side cover from my old motor to my "new" salvage motor, this dropped out of the engine when I pulled the side cover from the GOOD motor. Anybody have any idea what it is or where it came from? I'm looking at my manual right now and it doesnt appear its anything related to the clutch, that's just the side it was on when I pulled the cover.

It looks to me like the hook it broken off of one end, I don't think its supposed to be hooked only on one end, but I don't know that for certain. I need a VF engine expert! Chammyman, you out there?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #79
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It looks similar to the one on the shifter linkage to pawl behind the clutch assembly from looking at the book.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:09 AM   #80
chammyman
Gnarly Adventurer

yeah it looks like the gear linkage spring. Give me an hour or 2 and I will get a picture up.

The engine in my sisters bike spun a bearing - I suspect anyway. The usual female story, it made a noise then seemed slower, I just full throttled it then it stopped. Changed the engien then last Sunday she was knocked off it by a car who done a hit and run!
1988 Honda CB 350 SG
Old 08-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #81
chammyman
Gnarly Adventurer

apologies for being longer than a mere hour or two. Things got in the way.

Anyhow, since Im just awesome here you go.

You need to remove the clutch basket to get to see it like I have done.

Basket off, look just above the oil pump pulley

Closer

Closer still

Note the first picture, the word you're looking for in regards to the shifting linkage mechanism is ridiculous.

The VF is a challenge to shift properly. Its best done with throttle control and no clutch action.
1988 Honda CB 350 SG
Old 08-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #82
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you very much for the photos and description. I've got my old motor I can rob the part off of so I'll get it torn apart and taken care of.

Sorry to hear about your sister. Is she alright?
Old 08-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #83
chammyman
Gnarly Adventurer

yeah just some gravel rash and a bit sore but thankfully she is fine.

The VF was worse off.

O/S mirror
O/S front indicator
Broken Brake lever
twisted O/s clip on
fairing damage
screen snapped into 3 pieces
badly bent rear brake lever
broken footpeg/exhaust carrier bit
exhaust can badly dinged
top radiator scraped and leaking

Luckily I have a spares bike so it was back together the day after and she got back on it, so thankfully it hasn't put her off.
1988 Honda CB 350 SG
Old 08-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #84
Chickenstrip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Entertaining thread, chambersc. I had an Interceptor 500 and '91VFR like 'em both. The interceptor was my first step into 'modern' bikes, it handled fast at all speeds and remained stable at triple digits even loaded for trips. Good luck with the project!
Chickenstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #85
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got the shifter spring swapped out this week. That issue had apparently happened some time ago and someone had rigged up some mangled, funky spring on there to replace it and the broken one had been floating around in the bottom of the motor for a while! Can't believe that didn't end up in the pump or crank causing total havoc.

On a related note, is the oil pump drive chain normally loose like that? There's no tensioner of any sort on it. Looking at Chammymans photos, his are the same way. Seems odd to me but I guess its not been an issue?

Now waiting on my flywheel puller to arrive today so I can swap out flywheel and stator and this motor is ready for gaskets and to go back in the frame!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #86
chammyman
Gnarly Adventurer

the oil pump chains being slack is normal. All Hondas I have worked on are like this thats from these old things to much newer cbr's.
1988 Honda CB 350 SG
Old 08-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #87
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chammyman View Post
the oil pump chains being slack is normal. All Hondas I have worked on are like this thats from these old things to much newer cbr's.
Thanks. I figured as much by looking at your photos and BOTH of my motors but it just seemed off to me. Harley puts a tensioner on everything... Then again, that's one of the major failure points in earlier twin cams too!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #88
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Coming together

Puller showed up today, stator and flywheel moved over. Its coming back together finally. I'll do a valve check this weekend and I think she's ready to go back in a frame. (Carbs are just sitting up there for mockup)

Yeah, I know, I need to paint the water pump. Been thinking about taking it off for new o-rings so I haven't done it yet.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:55 AM   #89
chammyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Looking good.

There are 2 replaceable o-rings on the pump. A round fat one which seals the pump to the engine casing, this is where one of mine had a leak, I Just siliconed it as the wait and price was ridiculous.

And then the other is a thinner one which is large and seals the outer pump body to the main body, I just put a wee dab of silicone on it that as well.
1988 Honda CB 350 SG
Old 08-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #90
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New Wheels are coming!

So thanks to late night insomnia and eBay I now have a front and rear set of CBR600F2 wheels coming my way for the Interceptor. No more weird tire sizes or heavy ass wheels. Got these pretty complete with rotors, sprockets, cush drive, and front axle. Couldn't pass it up. Now to hit up Daughtery Motorsports about fit-kits to make them adapt over.