Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #46
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,993
Unless we see 100% throttle curves we wouldn't know for sure. There is always the case that at 100% throttle gains are minimal and that the stock ecu adjusts to the correct 13:1 AFR.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #47
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Unless we see 100% throttle curves we wouldn't know for sure. There is always the case that at 100% throttle gains are minimal and that the stock ecu adjusts to the correct 13:1 AFR.
Wishful thinking, IMO.

I'm sure it won't be long before somebody here buys the retail version, takes it to a dyno tuning center, and posts up all the results so we will know for sure. But I for one will be very surprised if the stock map EVER permits the A/F ratio to drop below 14.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #48
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Low octane fuel !!!

It looks like the PC will be a good investment but, if you have to disconnect the lambda sensor, it won't be much use for those travelling to remote countries. Running the bike on low octane fuel without the lambda sensor would not be a good idea - you'd need to spend the extra cash to get the auto-tune sensor as well.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #49
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
It looks like the PC will be a good investment but, if you have to disconnect the lambda sensor, it won't be much use for those travelling to remote countries. Running the bike on low octane fuel without the lambda sensor would not be a good idea - you'd need to spend the extra cash to get the auto-tune sensor as well.
Can you explain that? How does the stock ECU compensate for low octane fuel through the O2 sensor? I thought that would have to be done through a knock sensor which I don't think the X-CH has?

Thanks

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #50
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Can you explain that? How does the stock ECU compensate for low octane fuel through the O2 sensor? I thought that would have to be done through a knock sensor which I don't think the X-CH has?

Thanks
Lower octane fuel causes the bike to run lean (more lean). The lambda sensor will recognise this and adjust the mixture. I don't know how bad the fuel would have to be to cause a problem but I'm sure Colebatch reckoned he was running on 65 octane in Siberia. No way I'd do that without a sensor plugged in.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #51
Mal_B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Shipping now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDuro View Post
Cool, hope their expectation materializes today.
I rest my case when one of you guys get the actual resale product package in your hands - and not promised in the Interweb online store systems, expecting anything. :)
Mine shipped today - admittedly not in my hands yet, but hopefully soon will be!
Mal_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #52
Mal_B
Adventurer

It works

Welll, installed mine today. Obvious improvement everywhere. Finally can lug the bike around in fifth in traffic without having to shift down to ensure enough pickup. Install is a cinch. A couple of things:
  1. When running and plugged into the computer, at idle it reads the RPM as around 700-800 which is clearly about half of what it really is. A connection problem or 'by design'?
  2. When switching back my bigger injector to the original, I lost the spring clip that holds the fuel line. Is it going to blow up? Does anyone have a spare.
I'll try and get it on a dyno sometime soon and report back.

Cheers,

mal
Old 03-15-2011, 12:37 AM   #53
FinnDuro OP
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 380
Excellent, it retails! :)

As for the fuel line, couldn't you just buy another generic clip or hose clamp and be done with it?
Old 03-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #54
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal_B View Post
Welll, installed mine today. Obvious improvement everywhere. Finally can lug the bike around in fifth in traffic without having to shift down to ensure enough pickup. Install is a cinch.

When switching back my bigger injector to the original...
I'll try and get it on a dyno sometime soon and report back.

Cheers,

mal
When you had your bigger injector fitted did you disconnect the lambda sensor?

I fitted the bigger injector and initially did not like the response when the bike swapped between open and closed loop. With the standard injector I could notice this but it was such a small difference that it wasn't an issue. With the extra power the bike makes on open loop with the larger injector it felt like it had a massive flat spot when it swapped back to closed loop. I then remembered that PC recommend disconnecting the lambda sensor and the dyno graphs appear to show that the mixture settings were consistently lean across the range. So I disconnected the lambda, problem solved. Lots of power every where, no flat spot, smooth throttle response.

It would be interesting to know how the PC compares to fitting the bigger injector with the lambda disconnected, in terms of power, throttle response and fuel economy.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #55
Mal_B
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
When you had your bigger injector fitted did you disconnect the lambda sensor?

I fitted the bigger injector and initially did not like the response when the bike swapped between open and closed loop. With the standard injector I could notice this but it was such a small difference that it wasn't an issue. With the extra power the bike makes on open loop with the larger injector it felt like it had a massive flat spot when it swapped back to closed loop. I then remembered that PC recommend disconnecting the lambda sensor and the dyno graphs appear to show that the mixture settings were consistently lean across the range. So I disconnected the lambda, problem solved. Lots of power every where, no flat spot, smooth throttle response.

It would be interesting to know how the PC compares to fitting the bigger injector with the lambda disconnected, in terms of power, throttle response and fuel economy.
Yep, that's pretty much exactly what I had with my experience with the bigger injector - more power wide open but an awkward on-off throttle feeling. I always had the O2 sensor connected - never tried it off.

I heard back from Dynojet re. the incorrect RPM and I may have to send the unit back. I've asked them to check on this as I don't really want to take the unit back off the bike now it's installed. Also, I'm booked in to have it dynoed this Saturday so I REALLY don't want to take it off.

More to follow....
Old 03-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #56
Mal_B
Adventurer

Post Dyno Tuning

So, got the bike onto the dyno on Saturday afternoon. Unfortunately, we didn't capture a run on the zero map so I can't show you a before and after chart. Also, we couldn't solve the RPM problem so we set the dyno to read half as well (effectively halving the map resolution too I guess).

A lot of improvement came from the stock PCV map, despite the fact that it was off by half! This is little surprise really as the map basically says more fuel, much more - everywhere.

The bike on the zero map was, as expected, really lean. AFR as high as almost 17 in some places. The tuner managed to get an additional couple of horsepower over the stock PCV map across the board with a peak of 46.83hp at around 6500 rpm which is basically what I'd expect for this bike.

The improvement on the road was great. The bike actually has enough punch to make it a bit of fun and I'm sure the difference on the dirt will be even more pronounced. The most obvious improvements are power in the mid-range but the improved crispness and response is evident everywhere.

As I said, I don't have a before and after graph but I do have one of 100% throttle comparing the stock PCV map and the custom map if anyones really interested.

A must do mod in my opinion.

Cheers,

mal
Old 03-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #57
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 6,284
Mal, let us know how it affects fuel consumption after a good ride.

How much landed here?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #58
FinnDuro OP
Winter wonderlanding

The much awaited box of goodies just arrived from a Finnish reseller today for me, too: PowerCommander V, #12-006 for G650X's.

Dynojet's website doesn't show it yet (wonder why..), but they have 3 different map files for the unit.
1. Unchanged base map (all values set to 0) for running basically as completely stock bike without any fueling changes at all.
2. Modified/improved map for stock bike with stock pipe and air intake.
3. Modified/improved map for bike with slip-on exhaust (Leo-Vince X3) and stock air intake.

I wonder if the 003 map actually has been developed with the Uni foam filter, as I believe Rob the AZ-Twin had in the bike..?

Anyways, I'll be plugging the unit in my X soonish and fire it up. Not really going to be able to ride the thang for a week or two, got to try and finish up some lights & fairing modifications first.

(Besides, its kind of cold, rainy & snowy still - no off-roads available yet.)
Old 04-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #59
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDuro View Post
The much awaited box of goodies just arrived from a Finnish reseller today for me, too: PowerCommander V, #12-006 for G650X's.

Dynojet's website doesn't show it yet (wonder why..), but they have 3 different map files for the unit.
1. Unchanged base map (all values set to 0) for running basically as completely stock bike without any fueling changes at all.
2. Modified/improved map for stock bike with stock pipe and air intake.
3. Modified/improved map for bike with slip-on exhaust (Leo-Vince X3) and stock air intake.

I wonder if the 003 map actually has been developed with the Uni foam filter, as I believe Rob the AZ-Twin had in the bike..?

Anyways, I'll be plugging the unit in my X soonish and fire it up. Not really going to be able to ride the thang for a week or two, got to try and finish up some lights & fairing modifications first.

(Besides, its kind of cold, rainy & snowy still - no off-roads available yet.)
Congrats, all your work and coordination, I am glad you got one.

Yes, my bike had the foam filter, and outer air box cover removed, so that is the config they tested with, both stock can and LV.

Hey, what mods are you doing to your fairing, you gonna show us?
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:38 AM   #60
FinnDuro OP
Winter wonderlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
Hey, what mods are you doing to your fairing, you gonna show us?
Sure, pics to follow when I'm ready.
It's basically just a new projector headlight, with mask & front fender from a 'corporate off-road source'. And some upgraded decals maybe. :)