Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2011, 03:36 AM   #76
FinnDuro OP
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 373
It's already the 4th, so bring on the test results Don't shoot me! - or we're gonna have to shoot you.

I refitted by PCV on the bike, with that 002 map modified, and went for a good spin up the sand & gravel tracks. After a couple of weeks riding without the PCV, this gave me a good base for re-evaluation of any extra oomph the PCV would bring. Would I feel any noticeable differences, or was this good money thrown in the insatiable altar of farkles?

It's good. I notice the PCV effect right away. Extra oooomph is definately there, right from the bottom up to the mid-range its the strongest, and enough to up the top-speed, as well.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #77
Don't shoot me!!!
Snowflakes are cold...

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDuro View Post
It's already the 4th, so bring on the test results Don't shoot me! - or we're gonna have to shoot you.
Iv'e done a 55Km testrun in wet conditions, the Autotune unit does exactly what they say
I plugged in the computer to the PCV and got the exact resaults of the trim, but i lost the data when i shut down the computer... DOH!!!
No big deal, i'll plugg it in again in an hour or so
Don't shoot me!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #78
Don't shoot me!!!
Snowflakes are cold...

Sadly i can't figure out how to upload a PDF file or a WORD file to photobucket
Finn, can you send me your E-mail adr. and i'll send you the file as an attachment...
I'm allso curious about the changes you did to the map, so i can compare your work with the Autotune
Old 07-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #79
FinnDuro OP
Winter wonderlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't shoot me!!! View Post
Finn, can you send me your E-mail adr. and i'll send you the file as an attachment...
I'm allso curious about the changes you did to the map, so i can compare your work with the Autotune

What I simply did was change only four map values, at this stage, on the 001 and 002 maps Dynojet provided.
Those were the 0% throttle values at 1250, 1500, 1750 and 2000 rpm settings. I changed the original map values of "8" into "0". You have PM :)
Old 07-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #80
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't shoot me!!! View Post
I am not sure you can display those documents as an image. What I do is take a screen shot of what I want to post, then open the paint program, and past the screen shot in there, and save it as a .jpg. Then open it with my favorite photo editor and crop/size as you like, and you then have a .jpg you can post.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #81
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
I am not sure you can display those documents as an image. What I do is take a screen shot of what I want to post, then open the paint program, and past the screen shot in there, and save it as a .jpg. Then open it with my favorite photo editor and crop/size as you like, and you then have a .jpg you can post.
If you try Open Office it can open and edit pdf documents. I'm not sure if open office does, but I definitely have a program that will allow me to export text documents direct to a jpg. Worth looking for the feature.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #82
an13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Any Powercommander owner had a chance to run bike in a Dyno with full throttle? Curious that Powercommander web site does not show any Dyno charts. Would be very informational to see the real difference compared to stock.
an13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #83
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
The dynojet guys said there was little benefit at WOT, but I can't remember why, something about the stock map. I noticed more low end grunt. I just finished a 5K ride up the continental divide, I still got good gas mileage, unless I was hauling ass on a long piece of pavement at 90mph, then I got about 40mpg. Mostly I got over 50, and over 60 in the mountains, so my bike still adjusts for altitude just fine. I am happy with the PCV.

How does the autotune work, does it continuously adjust the maps?
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:59 AM   #84
Don't shoot me!!!
Snowflakes are cold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post

How does the autotune work, does it continuously adjust the maps?
Yes.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #85
FinnDuro OP
Winter wonderlanding

Xchallenge PowerCommander V fuel map switch installation

I decided to install a fuel map switch on my Xchallenge's Power Commander V.
Warning: this task is easy, and you should try this at home.

OK, on the Power Commander software installed on a computer, you can activate a configuration setting for a map switch. Once you activate that setting, you can then select a fuel map file, and send it to the PCV unit. Once you click "Send Map" on the software, it always asks you first whether you want to send the intended map to Map 1 or Map 2 position. Really simple. So you can load two separate, differently tuned maps to your bike. Me, I chose to put the advanced 002 map into Map1 position, and zero map (=stock setup, all values 0, no modifications to fueling) to Map2 position.

You then need to install a simple on-off switch, in order to change from Map1 to Map2.

The actual PCV unit in the bike has wire slots, one for Map 1 and one for Map 2. You hook up a thin wire on both of them. OK, these two wires then should go to opposite ends of a simple On/Off switch, which basically just connects or disconnetcs these two wires. That's it, it's that simple. You don't need to tap them into any external power source, the wires simply should be either connected or disconnected from each other. When the two wires are disconnected (Off), you have a Map 1 active. When you connect the two wires (On), Map 2 becomes active. The maps by the way change On The Fly, while bike is running.

Here's a pic on how I chose to install my switch.

I did think about a nice handlebar located switch first for quick on-off-on-off-on-off etc. - but decided against it. I want to primarily run the bike with the rich map at all times possible (because it is so good!), and maybe very occasionally on longer tarmac rides turn it into zero map for lowest possible fuel consumption, or when I'm really low on fuel. I noticed a nice OEM location below the seat (where you could install the oem 12v accessory plug). It's close by my PCV unit itself with minimal wiring length needed, so there it went. Two wires from the PCV unit into the simple switch.

Here's how it looks all buttoned up.

Me likey, and as I said, it is a really simple installation & cost is next to nothing for this kind of setup.

Added note. You can install this kind of map switch to either:
1. Switch between AutoTune mode and some other fuel map (for those who have purchased the additional AutoTune module)
2. Switch between Fuel map1 and Fuel map 2 (this is my setup).
But you cannot have two swithces simultaneously installed, for setups 1 and 2 at the same time. It's either or.

FinnDuro screwed with this post 10-09-2011 at 09:37 AM
FinnDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #86
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
I wonder if someone has dyno test his bike with the Booster plug installed?
Especially interested about the mixture figures. To know if the air/fuel ratio is good.
Thanks

G650 Xcountry 2007 / Beta evo 4T 2011
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #87
Mr F
I hear banjos.

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Update: I got a new PCV on warranty, and got into installing it back into the bike. I loaded the 002 map into the unit, it's the richect map for a bike with a slip-on exhaust (LeoV X3) and Uni foam air filter.

I started the bike up, and let it idle, checking that all's well. It was, for some time, but then the bike started to die on idle. Sort of felt like choking to death slowly. To me, with carb'ed bikes, that sounds like too rich, fuel overflow.

I hooked my laptop with the PowerCommander software into the bike with the supplied USB-cable, to see if the software could show some tips on what's happening.

OK, I can see that the bike is idleing at about 1500rpm +/-50 rpm, and at idle = zero throttle, I can see the PCV is fueling the bike with +8% fuel compared to stock setup, with that 002 map. "Hmm, +8% fuel at idle, huh, what's with that?" thinks me. I then noticed that Dynojet maps 001 and 002 have 8% added fuel settings at 0% throttle at 1250rpm, 1500rpm, 1750rpm and 2000rpm.

I changed my map to 0% added fuel at those rpms at 0% throttle, loaded the map in the unit and fired up the bike. The result = idles fine, no choking up anymore.

Note: I'm living and riding right at the sea-level for prolly 99% of my time (Finland=rather a flat country, save some big hills up in Lapland), so I'm thinking I'm better off at 0 added fuel at 0% throttle / idle. Any of you guys in the zero elevation with PCV - maybe worth a try.

Edit: I think Dynojet Labs was at 5000 feet elevation, so the stock supplied maps probably work the best at about that altitude.
I'm thinking I might go the Auto-Tune route eventually, but let's see.
thanks for this post, I completely tore my bike down and cleaned and reassembled over the last few months. Added a pcv and auto tune and found that after reassembly the bike would now die at idle, except it would only idle at 750-1000 rpm. I knew it wasn't the idle actuator as I had just cleaned it when I was in there. Anyway It would idle so low that it felt like the clutch was dragging, but when I rev a little all was well. I'll go back and correct the added fueling in the 0% throttle range. I've only had the auto tune running for two rides, I'm interested to find out if it has been trying to remove fueling in that range.

I can tell you target AFR's in that range are at 13.2 which seems a bit rich to me. I'm thinking I may just load the stock map and let autotune add the fuel.
Mr F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:54 AM   #88
FinnDuro OP
Winter wonderlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F View Post
thanks for this post, I completely tore my bike down and cleaned and reassembled over the last few months. Added a pcv and auto tune and found that after reassembly the bike would now die at idle, except it would only idle at 750-1000 rpm. I knew it wasn't the idle actuator as I had just cleaned it when I was in there. Anyway It would idle so low that it felt like the clutch was dragging, but when I rev a little all was well. I'll go back and correct the added fueling in the 0% throttle range. I've only had the auto tune running for two rides, I'm interested to find out if it has been trying to remove fueling in that range.

I can tell you target AFR's in that range are at 13.2 which seems a bit rich to me. I'm thinking I may just load the stock map and let autotune add the fuel.

I've since readjusted my zero throttle settings to 5% on those rpm settings. Did not notice much changes, it probably could affect exhaust popping on deceleration and avoid cold stalling also in decel situations. But I don't think it should change your actual idle rpms anyway, only the air/fuel mixture itself. If I were you, I'd recalibrate the idle actuator throttle settings (or re-do it) and see if it helps any. Also, if you've never done so, you may want to check your valve clearances - specifically look for too tight intake valves.

I have an AutoTune unit coming way my in the mail as well, will be nice to start playing with it.

FinnDuro screwed with this post 02-24-2012 at 01:18 AM
FinnDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #89
Mr F
I hear banjos.

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
I've since readjusted my zero throttle settings to 5% on those rpm settings. Did not notice much changes, it probably could affect exhaust popping on deceleration and avoid cold stalling also in decel situations. But I don't think it should change your actual idle rpms anyway, only the air/fuel mixture itself. If I were you, I'd recalibrate the idle actuator throttle settings (or re-do it) and see if it helps any. Also, if you've never done so, you may want to check your valve clearances - specifically look for too tight intake valves.

I have an AutoTune unit coming way my in the mail as well, will be nice to start playing with it.

Where can you recalibrate the idle actuator? I saw a calibration for some throttle sensor (it was late, was not paying too much attention) is that what you're talking about? I'd planned on taking a second look at that this weekend when I have some time to work on it.

I did the valves while I had it apart, so I know they're in spec. I may check them again this weekend since it's pretty easy. But I'm going to get some miles on it first and see what the autotune does. I did look at the autotune tables and it was removing almost all the fuel that was added at idle. I have since loaded the zero map and set my own target afrs, I'm going to let autotune do its thing and take it from there. I've got 16k miles on the stock fueling so I doubt it will do any harm. I'm working on getting an LCD unit so I can log and watch the afr in real time, but I don't know how soon that will happen. I'll keep you updated.

Edit: Went back and checked and the sensor calibration I saw was the throttle position sensor. If there is some idle calibration I'd like to know about it as the bike is still idling at 750-900 rpm.

Mr F screwed with this post 02-24-2012 at 05:46 PM
Mr F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #90
FinnDuro OP
Winter wonderlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F View Post
Where can you recalibrate the idle actuator? I saw a calibration for some throttle sensor (it was late, was not paying too much attention) is that what you're talking about?
Yeah, I did actually mean the throttle position calibration.