ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #76
alonzo
Misadventurer
 
alonzo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Northwest Ozarks
Oddometer: 404
steering stops

Dongie --
If I'm understanding correctly, the lower triple from the RM125 has pins that contact the lug on the steering head. This was not the case with the RM-Z450 triple that I used and I had to install 'bumpers' on the sides of the steering head to limit the steering travel.
Did you have to mod the IMS tank at all? I had to heat and re-shape the left side of my tank to accommodate the steering travel.

-- alonzo
__________________
2006 Suzuki DR650SE

1978 BMW R80/7
2009 BMW F650GS (do you think a new BMW every 30 years is too much?)

2006 Yamaha XT225
1970 Triumph Bonneville T120R

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."
Ąsǝʞıq ʇɹıp ɟo ɟɟo ʎɐʇs pןnoɥs noʎ ǝqʎɐɯ uǝɥʇ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
alonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #77
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy
 
EvanADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Joplor, NC
Oddometer: 1,331
can't seem to find where you ever said your source for the headlight/fairing?

straight from kawasaki?
__________________
Current Steeds: '08 FJR1300 | '02 DR650
Former Steeds: '99 DR650 | '02 DR650 | '09 DL650 | '07 B1250
9 states left to ride: WI, MN, ND, SD, UT, OK, KS, AK, and HI.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #78
dongie OP
Brraaap
 
dongie's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 321
Alonzo, the RM triple worked perfectly, no modifications required. The fork legs just miss the tank.

The KLX light was an eBay find, like I mentioned before. It could be bought for a lot of money from an oem parts store, too.
dongie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #79
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2c4c View Post
can't seem to find where you ever said your source for the headlight/fairing?

straight from kawasaki?
post 64
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #80
gplassm
Studly Adventurer
 
gplassm's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Western Mass
Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongie View Post
Unfortunately, the 2003 RM model had the brake line routed underneath the axle - probably the only downside of this particular year fork conversion. The stock DR hose is too short for that but who would want to run it that long anyway



I'm hoping to scoop up a cheap set of 04-up RM fork guards and see if they still fit my forks. If they will, I'll buy a new set.
Clearly, Suzuki fixed this fluke in the 2004 model:

IIRC - Honda held a patent on the brake line routing for many years, and it expired, thus allowing all other manufacturers to copy it. Prior to this, you will find that all other manufacturers went "the long way 'round".
Greg
__________________
Street bikes for the street. Dirt bikes for the dirt. Let's keep it that way.
gplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #81
dongie OP
Brraaap
 
dongie's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
IIRC - Honda held a patent on the brake line routing for many years, and it expired, thus allowing all other manufacturers to copy it. Prior to this, you will find that all other manufacturers went "the long way 'round".
Greg
That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing!
dongie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #82
wolf moderate
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 61
Sweet Build

The front end and black rims make that bike amazing. You have a talent for this stuff, wow!

What do you guys mean when you say that you subscribed? I just signed up for an advrider, but unsure of other subscription options, Thanks.
wolf moderate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #83
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 4,951
Just above every one's avatar there is a button saying 'View Unread'; scroll up to it: and to the right of that is another that says 'Thread Tools'. Click on that; and wait. Next window will ask "Subscribe to this thread?", click on it.
__________________
2004 DR650: 60,466 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 02-24-2011 at 10:56 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #84
dongie OP
Brraaap
 
dongie's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 321
The windshield came today!
Out of all enduro windshields that are out there, I liked the Australian Screens For Bikes the most. $160 is a pretty hefty price for a piece of plexi though.
The Acerbis Baja Style Dual Sport Shield from Cee Bailey's has a similar shape and costs only $70 shipped: http://www.ceebaileys.com/acerbis/index.html
The only downside is that it's flat and hence doesn't fit the curved KLX (or DR, if I still had that one) headlight shroud.
Nothing a little bit of heat can't fix



dongie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #85
dongie OP
Brraaap
 
dongie's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 321
The LED turn signals were a cheap eBay find - about $12/pair. They have rubber mounts so they should bend in case they get hit. Even if they don't survive, it's not a big deal to replace them for this price.
You might want to buy an LED flasher relay if you want them to flash slowly, just like the stock signals. I bought mine from Custom LED: http://customled.com/products/flashe...sher_relay.htm This relay plugs right into your stock flasher relay connector. I actually prefer the faster flashing rate (looks pretty cool with LEDs) so I'd put the new relay on the voluntary buy list.

To make the stock single bulb indicator to work properly, you need to solder this diode kit into your harness: http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/719/Diode-Kit The instructions that come in the package make for a very simple installation. Just follow the wires that come out of the flasher bulb in the instrument panel and add this diode.

I also replaced the stock bulb in the DR250 taillight with a nice LED piece. It's brighter and uses less energy. I got it here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...rake-turn.html
You want the 1157 red, wide beam (100 deg.), dual bulb.



dongie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #86
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Georgetown, In / Costa Rica
Oddometer: 575
Great information thank you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongie View Post
The LED turn signals were a cheap eBay find - about $12/pair. They have rubber mounts so they should bend in case they get hit. Even if they don't survive, it's not a big deal to replace them for this price.
You might want to buy an LED flasher relay if you want them to flash slowly, just like the stock signals. I bought mine from Custom LED: http://customled.com/products/flashe...sher_relay.htm This relay plugs right into your stock flasher relay connector. I actually prefer the faster flashing rate (looks pretty cool with LEDs) so I'd put the new relay on the voluntary buy list.

To make the stock single bulb indicator to work properly, you need to solder this diode kit into your harness: http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/719/Diode-Kit The instructions that come in the package make for a very simple installation. Just follow the wires that come out of the flasher bulb in the instrument panel and add this diode.

I also replaced the stock bulb in the DR250 taillight with a nice LED piece. It's brighter and uses less energy. I got it here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...rake-turn.html
You want the 1157 red, wide beam (100 deg.), dual bulb.



__________________
TRAVELGUY
DL1000 '05 black
DL 650 '06 Red
DR650 '07
.
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #87
NuckaMan
Space Available
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 341
Thanks for details on your build.

DR is on my short list for my next purchase in March, your build may serve as inspiration for folks like myself.

Your bike is looking awesome!!!! Looking forward to more.
__________________
2008 BMW GS Adv

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #88
djones745
Gnarly Adventurer
 
djones745's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Frankfort, IL
Oddometer: 170
Great work Dongie, Can't wait to finish my front end conversion myself, now if only we had some decent dual sport places to ride close to Chi-town!
__________________
"Retreat, hell we just got here!"- Chesty Puller
Gas Gas 300 TXT Pro, plated wr450, YZ250F, 07 GSXR750 Road Racer, numerous dusty buddy bikes
djones745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #89
dongie OP
Brraaap
 
dongie's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by djones745 View Post
Great work Dongie, Can't wait to finish my front end conversion myself, now if only we had some decent dual sport places to ride close to Chi-town!
Hey Dave! That's why I got the DR - so I don't have to rely solely on riding around Chicago. I can't wait to take this thing around Lake Michigan in spring and then to the west coast in summer. Our plan is to hit Laguna Seca in July and then ride up north to Seattle, mostly off road.

Do you have an issue with the RMZ forks?
I'm still tempted to pick up your SM wheels so I can do a few trackdays for fun
dongie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:18 AM   #90
djones745
Gnarly Adventurer
 
djones745's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Frankfort, IL
Oddometer: 170
You gotta block out time for the ADV Central Rally for sure. I went last year with the 17" SM wheels and wound up riding with a rear as a front- It worked surprisingly well in the sand!

Guys dubbed it the TW650

What part of Chicago are you in? I'm in the South Suburbs
__________________
"Retreat, hell we just got here!"- Chesty Puller
Gas Gas 300 TXT Pro, plated wr450, YZ250F, 07 GSXR750 Road Racer, numerous dusty buddy bikes
djones745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014