Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 06:27 AM   #91
dongie OP
Brraaap

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by djones745 View Post
You gotta block out time for the ADV Central Rally for sure. I went last year with the 17" SM wheels and wound up riding with a rear as a front- It worked surprisingly well in the sand!

Guys dubbed it the TW650

What part of Chicago are you in? I'm in the South Suburbs
When and where is that happening? I've been a part of the local SM racing scene for a while but am new to all ADV meetings and this forum.
dongie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:42 AM   #92
djones745
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongie View Post
When and where is that happening? I've been a part of the local SM racing scene for a while but am new to all ADV meetings and this forum.
Look under Rally's in the main page 'Central Annual Rally'- it's Aug 12-21st in Eagle River, WI
Bonebag throws a hell of a party, he had a different microbrew on tap every night for a week

The riding was incredible- Cannonshot had a million miles of GPS tracks set up, everything from smooth tarmac to single track
Old 02-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #93
gregorbean
dudeguy

Oddometer: 15
Laugh

Quote:
Our plan is to hit Laguna Seca in July and then ride up north to Seattle, mostly off road.

It's all I can think about lately.
(2000 Kawasaki ZR-7) (1973 Honda CB450) (1990 BMW K75S) (2005 Suzuki SV650) (1970 Honda CB750KO) (2003 Kawasaki Z1000) (1979 Yamaha DT100) (2003 Honda CBR 600 F4I) (2004 Suzuki DR-Z400S) (2004 Yamaha Zuma 50) (2006 Suzuki SV650) (2006 Suzuki DR-Z400SM) (2000 Honda XR650R)
gregorbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #94
dongie OP
Brraaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by djones745 View Post
Look under Rally's in the main page 'Central Annual Rally'- it's Aug 12-21st in Eagle River, WI
Bonebag throws a hell of a party, he had a different microbrew on tap every night for a week

The riding was incredible- Cannonshot had a million miles of GPS tracks set up, everything from smooth tarmac to single track
If I'm around in August, I'll be there. I live in the city, in Humboldt Park btw..
Old 03-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #95
dongie OP
Brraaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorbean View Post
It's all I can think about lately.
I can't wait! Hope I don't get booked for a big job!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:08 AM   #96
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
Nice DR650 setup. I like the side by side of original and end point.

1969 CB350 - Restoration Project
1962 Ford Fairlane 500 - Restoration / DD project
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #97
mklebel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
The forks are 47mm Showa from a 2003 RM125. I picked them up from MX-Tech today. They have all new internals - new seals, bushings, .50kg/mm springs, updated valving and dropped an inch from the stock 12" of travel. Still an inch longer than the stock DR forks, which should give me more ground clearance.
For reference, what is your weight and height? How does it feel? Has the seat height changed? I know you probably can't give a full report with the awesome winter we're having..

Nice work.
mklebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:01 AM   #98
What's his Face
lost as

Oddometer: 3,552
nice job...

one of the best dr builds i have ever seen
Old 03-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #99
dongie OP
Brraaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklebel View Post
For reference, what is your weight and height? How does it feel? Has the seat height changed? I know you probably can't give a full report with the awesome winter we're having..

Nice work.
I've been actually riding quite a bit lately

The bike definitely sits a lot higher now, with a lot less sag. I weigh around 165 without any gear, and am 5' 10" tall, with 32" of inseam. The seat height is now around 36.5" so I can only touch the ground with my toes.

I set up the suspension on the stiffer side. I run all my bikes that way (even mountain bikes). I will be packing some gear for a TAT trip and don't want the bike to sag too much or dive under hard braking. I'm also getting a 17" wheelset with slicks for occasional track days with my friends. That's where the stiff suspension will come really handy.
I compared the stiffness to my friend's Husky 610 SM last night, and my bike is just a tad softer.
Originally, I was hoping to get a 450 race bike this season but I think my money will be spent on touring and traveling, instead of supermoto races
Old 03-07-2011, 03:42 AM   #100
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
How about some more pics? Like of a big wheelie on Michigan Ave.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #101
71tr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater495 View Post
How about some more pics? Like of a big wheelie on Michigan Ave.
+1
71tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #102
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,693
Quote:
I've been actually riding quite a bit lately

The bike definitely sits a lot higher now, with a lot less sag. I weigh around 165 without any gear, and am 5' 10" tall, with 32" of inseam. The seat height is now around 36.5" so I can only touch the ground with my toes.

I set up the suspension on the stiffer side. I run all my bikes that way (even mountain bikes). I will be packing some gear for a TAT trip and don't want the bike to sag too much or dive under hard braking. I'm also getting a 17" wheelset with slicks for occasional track days with my friends. That's where the stiff suspension will come really handy.
I compared the stiffness to my friend's Husky 610 SM last night, and my bike is just a tad softer.
Originally, I was hoping to get a 450 race bike this season but I think my money will be spent on touring and traveling, instead of supermoto races
Are you planning on riding the TAT this year ? I will be interested to see how the bike goes with the FCR carb, especially regarding the high altitude. I have had several people (including a couple of Dyno tuners) recommend I stick with the stock CV carb for our planned TAT trip as they say it will cope better with the high altitude compared with a pumper carb
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #103
wolf moderate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Hey,

quick question about that sweet KLX450 headlight assembly. Is this all it is and it hooks right up to the DR 650? It's only $64 at Thumpertalk.com store. I sold my blue OEM headlight shroud already so now just looking for another shroud/headlight assembly. http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?...08&model=21741 for $63.46. Doesn't seem right. Also there is only one color choice?

Keep up the good work on your build

Thanks.
wolf moderate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #104
dongie OP
Brraaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Are you planning on riding the TAT this year ? I will be interested to see how the bike goes with the FCR carb, especially regarding the high altitude. I have had several people (including a couple of Dyno tuners) recommend I stick with the stock CV carb for our planned TAT trip as they say it will cope better with the high altitude compared with a pumper carb
The DR will definitely see some elevation this summer. I'll keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf moderate View Post
Is this all it is and it hooks right up to the DR 650? It's only $64 at Thumpertalk.com store. I sold my blue OEM headlight shroud already so now just looking for another shroud/headlight assembly. http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?...08&model=21741 for $63.46. Doesn't seem right. Also there is only one color choice?
The $63 you mention is for the plastic lens/lamp only. Then you'll need the shroud and all the other bits. That's why I mentioned the OEM store being a less preferred option.
The headlight doesn't hook right up either. You'd need to make one bracket for the bottom and two small brackets for the top mounts.

In the past week, I've added a skidplate (handmade by a fellow inmate), and a Seat Concepts seat foam with a carbon-sided/gripper top seat cover. Still need to take a better picture of that one. It looks very nice and feels comfortable from the few miles I rode today.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #105
CAVEboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Looks good!

Skid plate looks good man. I like the build a lot. I may even follow your lead on the fender/headlight although I can't decide if the fender will look right without the extra height from the forks you swapped. It looks a little too big in the pic with stock forks. The extra height really gives it that modern dirt bike look instead of the dual sport look. How did you like the fender look with the stock forks since you were able to look at it in person?
CAVEboy is offline   Reply With Quote