Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2014, 04:35 AM   #1
Snowbird OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Pissed Would you do this to another rider?

Would you pull out and pass on a two lane road when you see an oncoming motorcycle, because that's what not one, but two did to me?

I was carrying a passenger on a two-lane highway with some pretty nasty pavement, and no paved shoulder, when two oncoming bikes pulled out to pass three oncoming cars. It all happened suddenly as I rounded a slight left-hand curve. First a car came into view, then two more cars and suddenly from behind the last car a bike popped out into view. Alarmed, I instinctively moved to the right of my lane thinking the guy would pull back in behind the car, but no... he took that as room for him to pass. And he did pass and was followed by his riding partner; both of them passing the cars between me going south and all them moving north. Now, who in hell would do something like that? I wouldn't.

The way the event unfolded left no doubt there was no mitigating circumstances to excuse their actions.

Fortunately for me, the pavement at that point was good enough for me to remain there as many sections of that road have severe potholes and other pavement deficiencies. Like I said, the shoulder is completely unusable for the purposes of a motorcycle, and in most cases the shoulder isn't even level with the pavement.

All I can hope for is that these two selfish pricks on motorcycles destroy themselves before they do the same to someone else. Obviously, chasing them down and beating their asses was not an option, but I wish them both the worst.

Snowbird screwed with this post 09-30-2014 at 04:43 AM
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:46 AM   #2
Uke
visualist

Oddometer: 73
While they were playing fast and loose with your (you and your pillion) safety, in essence playing chicken with you, they were far worse betting their lives that there wasn't something much wider with at least 4 wheels tailing you.

As I was taught in flight training: there are old pilots and there are bold pilots, there are no old, bold pilots.

Glad it ended well.
Uke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:49 AM   #3
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,798
Would I? No.

But there are a lot of jerks out there.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:55 AM   #4
Snowbird OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uke View Post
While they were playing fast and loose with your (you and your pillion) safety, in essence playing chicken with you, they were far worse betting their lives that there wasn't something much wider with at least 4 wheels tailing you.
No, they could see we were the only thing in their wqy.

Quote:

Glad it ended well.
Thanks.

I don't really "wish them both the worst" in the sense of crashing and dying, but a few traffic tickets wouldn't hurt. LOL
Old 09-30-2014, 05:01 AM   #5
Uke
visualist

Oddometer: 73
Maybe they knew the road well, maybe they didn't. But as you were exiting the left curve, could there have been a vehicle behind you beyond their line of sight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird View Post
No, they could see we were the only thing in their way.

Thanks.

I don't really "wish them both the worst" in the sense of crashing and dying, but a few traffic tickets wouldn't hurt. LOL
Uke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:02 AM   #6
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
if you had no sidecar what is the problem? There should be enough room for two bike to pass in a lane. If you had a sidecar, yeah he is an ass.

Oh and i have had it done and done it to other riders. The road is there to share.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:08 AM   #7
shakeybone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago with my daughter on the back.
A pirate and his "old lady" clearly saw me and pushed me to the right of my lane at 55 mph to pass the line of cars in front of him. Like the op no usable shoulder so we passed in the same lane at 55 mph.
Due to his loud pipes many lives were saved.
shakeybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:19 AM   #8
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,679
We assume that other riders have some extra respect for their fellow motorcyclist....the reality is there are idiots on all types of vehicle....
Old 09-30-2014, 05:20 AM   #9
Snowbird OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
if you had no sidecar what is the problem? There should be enough room for two bike to pass in a lane. If you had a sidecar, yeah he is an ass.

Oh and i have had it done and done it to other riders. The road is there to share.
If you can read, I described what the problem was. Go back to sleep.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:31 AM   #10
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,728
yeah, maybe they do it different down under but that was a foolish pass, especially on poor road surfaces.

Hell, I get pissed off when some bozo passes me in my own lane going the same direction, so when I ride with anyone new I encourage them to pass, just not in my lane.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:31 AM   #11
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,041
Quote:

Old 09-30-2014, 05:32 AM   #12
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,535
Quote:
Yeah, it works quite well, until it doesn´t. Then you could have two bikes wrecked beyond recognition, and several people dead.

I know it is very common in some countries, but I would not have this as a normal way of passing in any of the more ´civilized´ ones, because it creates a totally unnecessary risk. There will be two vehicles on the same lane who are going in opposite directions, plus one vehicle, that is being passed, next to them. Why?

And if you´re so goddamn clueless, that you cannot perform a pass on a motorcycle, when there is nobody coming across at the same time, then just do yourself a favour, and do something else. Thank you.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:59 AM   #13
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
You guys are way uptight. Share the road, i read the op, a few potholes wont hurt you, I thought this was advrider.

Two cars in different lanes would be passing closer than two bikes in the same lane. Its really not a big deal.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:03 AM   #14
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,508
While I don't agree with the actions of the passing cycle riders, perhaps they saw your move to the right as an invitation to continue their pass?

If you had stayed in center or left of lane, maybe they'd have tucked back in behind the cars.

No way to tell, for sure.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:21 AM   #15
Snowbird OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
... perhaps they saw your move to the right as an invitation to continue their pass?
If they read it that way, they read it wrong. For the record, they did not continue their pass, they initiated their pass.

I sometimes will pass on a DY, but not ever in a place where there is so much as a driveway where someone could come out without looking right, or into which the other vehicle might decide to turn.

For all the sensible riding tips given out on the Internet, I'm surprised even one person would try excusing these guys. What is so important about maintaining forward momentum that any vehicle should risk a collision with another? We all know that riding (or driving, for that matter) a lot faster than the rest of traffic doesn't get you there much sooner. One traffic light typically holds you up for at least a minute. You have to be lot ahead of other traffic for them not to be sitting right behind you before the light turns green.