ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2015, 06:26 AM   #1
wild OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: Krakow, Poland
Oddometer: 249
Best places to live and ride in Europe?

just to give some options to guys living in Europe or moving to.
I say Spain and Portugal, great weather almost like in California,
ocean and siesta whole day




wild screwed with this post 03-31-2015 at 06:32 AM
wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:38 AM   #2
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes
 
atomicalex's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Detroit & Dόsseldorf
Oddometer: 2,875
Provence. Hands-down. Access to the Alps, Pyrenees, etc. Beautiful weather and scenery. Lavendel everywhere.

Yes, Provence for me.
__________________
Katherine, in words - F650GSa - CBR250R (sold) - Super Sherpa - Nine Days in the Alps - More Alps: Finding GS Land
atomicalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:49 AM   #3
ozmoses
Ride On
 
ozmoses's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: USA
Oddometer: 4,035


Great thread; more about Portugal.
__________________
Opinions are like internet connections- everybody has one.
ozmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:02 AM   #4
motosikel
nopickles
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Oddometer: 52
Barcelona
Coastal routes, mountain curves even vineyards, all within 15 minutes of leaving the city. And all year round.
Attached Images
 
motosikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
kickstandsup
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kickstandsup's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Kitty litter USA
Oddometer: 346
great thread

Looking forward to this info...my retirement plan (6 years off and counting) is to use my current location in the Southwest as home base, but live somewhere else 3-4 months each year, with that "somewhere else" a different place each year. Overseas locations are first on the list while i'm, hopefully, still healthy. Post on!
__________________
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig.
R12GS, Monster 1200S, Bonnie.
http://kickstandsupat7.blogspot.com
kickstandsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #6
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon
 
Jimmy the Heater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: WA Palouse area
Oddometer: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstandsup View Post
Looking forward to this info...my retirement plan (6 years off and counting) is to use my current location in the Southwest as home base, but live somewhere else 3-4 months each year, with that "somewhere else" a different place each year. Overseas locations are first on the list while i'm, hopefully, still healthy. Post on!
That sounds like a BRILLIANT plan!
Jimmy the Heater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:56 AM   #7
nunoajc
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Faro - Portugal
Oddometer: 35
Hi. Portugal have great weahter( 300 days of sun or more) food and wine, frendly people , more than 600km of coast with great beaches. Algarve south of Portugal a very tourist zone and more expensive but you can rent a 90~100 sqmeter apartment for €400 euros, electricity €50 month, water €12~€15/month, cable tv, high speed fiber internet, landline phone €45/month. Insurance os cars and bike is also cheap. I pay €120/year for my yamaha R6 and €60 road tax. Fuel is expensive, now aroud €1.43/liter. Serra do caldeirγo, have great twisted road and offroad tracks. Is possible to do all algarve offroad.In Faro we have the internacional bikers meeting, problaby the biggest meeting in all europe.

Portugal-Since 1640
nunoajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:39 AM   #8
kickstandsup
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kickstandsup's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Kitty litter USA
Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
That sounds like a BRILLIANT plan!
Thank you Mr. Heater...we've been working on it for a while... Can't come soon enough!!
__________________
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig.
R12GS, Monster 1200S, Bonnie.
http://kickstandsupat7.blogspot.com
kickstandsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:04 AM   #9
wild OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: Krakow, Poland
Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunoajc View Post
Hi. Portugal have great weahter( 300 days of sun or more) food and wine, frendly people , more than 600km of coast with great beaches. Algarve south of Portugal a very tourist zone and more expensive but you can rent a 90~100 sqmeter apartment for €400 euros, electricity €50 month, water €12~€15/month, cable tv, high speed fiber internet, landline phone €45/month. Insurance os cars and bike is also cheap. I pay €120/year for my yamaha R6 and €60 road tax. Fuel is expensive, now aroud €1.43/liter. Serra do caldeirγo, have great twisted road and offroad tracks. Is possible to do all algarve offroad.In Faro we have the internacional bikers meeting, problaby the biggest meeting in all europe.

Portugal-Since 1640
that's why electric motorcycle will be soon popular and efficient enough.

oh yeah, Portugal beaches...

wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:14 AM   #10
GreatLakesGuy
Saved by Grace
 
GreatLakesGuy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: If you can't guess...
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild View Post
just to give some options to guys living in Europe or moving to.
I say Spain and Portugal, great weather almost like in California,
ocean and siesta whole day
Those roads look amazing. Get much local traffic? Guess you can probably find a secluded area anywhere in the world if you look hard enough or time it right.
For twisties, I like the Stelvio Pass in Northern Italy




The Transfăgărășan in Romania...



and the Furka Pass in Switzerland, among a dozen others...


For scenery, there's a million more, but this road in Norway I have on my list. Atlantic Road in Norway. Not the most challenging, but that view is spectacular.
GreatLakesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #11
wild OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: Krakow, Poland
Oddometer: 249
when I was driving in Tuscany (Italy) I got actually seasick from the amount of sharp turns there, I started to miss straight line roads after a while...

wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #12
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Oddometer: 1,543
Far away from Wraithrider?
__________________
Undersecretary of the Ministry of Silly Posts.
Rgconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #13
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Oddometer: 4,160
Italy.
__________________
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:06 PM   #14
Roland44
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Alaska
Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Italy.
+1 for Italy
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #15
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 7,120
Tyrolia, and northern Italy, is pretty much motorcycle paradise IMO. Ridden much of western Europe. There's not much that matches the combination of roads, people, food, everything really. Only Northern California is better.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015