Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #1501
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Well you are helmet broom sheep. DUH!!!
That was so 2009. We've moved on to helmet ears now.

Quote:
p.s. You need a Harley.
Got that Triumph sign up yet?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #1502
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
That was so 2009. We've moved on to helmet ears now.

Got that Triumph sign up yet?

Only the "coming soon" one.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #1503
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
It's sad that many on this forum can't appreciate a bike for what it was intended to be. Harley doesn't claim to be a canyon carver, off road adventure bike, or a technological marvel of engineering. It's just a Harley which people love to look at, customize, ride to the bar, ride to work, eat highway miles, ride around the world, raise hell, run drugs, get milk, carry guns, carry grand children, take camping, jump the grand canyon, use as a social medium, and just about anything else they want to do with it. The point is Harley is not trying to be something it's not, unlike many other bikes trying to copy its success.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #1504
lethe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
But until you own a Moto Guzzi... do you really have a motorcycle collection?

Stay thirsty my friend.
Aha, but have you a RollFast?

That said...I wouldn't mind a beat up looking flat black Sporty that was in perfect mechanical condition but looked like you needed a tetanus shot prior to riding it
lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #1505
BeerIsGood

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$ View Post
It's sad that many on this forum can't appreciate a bike for what it was intended to be. Harley doesn't claim to be a canyon carver, off road adventure bike, or a technological marvel of engineering. It's just a Harley which people love to look at, customize, ride to the bar, ride to work, eat highway miles, ride around the world, raise hell, run drugs, get milk, carry guns, carry grand children, take camping, jump the grand canyon, use as a social medium, and just about anything else they want to do with it. The point is Harley is not trying to be something it's not, unlike many other bikes trying to copy its success.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!! That should be there marketing strategy! The bikes are freaking beautiful and thats all that needs to be said. Nothing else in the entire world is a Harley Davison. Nuf said.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #1506
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
When you make statements like that, you are perpetuating the the problem, it goes back to the "real bike" garbage I hated to be associated with when I owned a Harley.

I went through 3 Harleys and an Indian, each for less than a year, they were ok, I had fun on them, but not exactly what I was looking for
In 2001 I got a V-Star 650 Classic because it better fit my needs and desires, I still own it.
I have only ridden it twice in the past 4 years since getting my Ural, but have no plans to sell it. I have been thinking maybe I will put a high exhaust and dual sport tires on it, it is actually really pleasant to ride on FS and logging roads at lower speeds.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #1507
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
When you make statements like that, you are perpetuating the the problem, it goes back to the "real bike" garbage I hated to be associated with when I owned a Harley.

I am in no way saying it's a "real bike' , I'm saying every motorcycle produced is a "real bike" in my eyes. Each of them were built to appeal to a specific rider/demographic. This is the reason I'm here; I want to learn more about the "adventure bikes". The ability to do off road appeals to me, but an adventure bike couldn't replace my Harley. They're just too different bikes that appeal to me in different ways.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #1508
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,367
Quote:
I am in no way saying it's a "real bike' , I'm saying every motorcycle produced is a "real bike" in my eyes. Each of them were built to appeal to a specific rider/demographic. This is the reason I'm here; I want to learn more about the "adventure bikes". The ability to do off road appeals to me, but an adventure bike couldn't replace my Harley. They're just too different bikes that appeal to me in different ways.
+1

And the reason I'm here as well.

Added an '08 Triumph Tiger 1050 thinking it may replace my then '06 Street Glide after reading here from the adventuristzas that a Harley was piece of crap bike. I soon found out that although the Tiger would out perform my Glide in almost every category I much prefered to ride the Harley and sold the Tiger.

Picked up a used DR650 and having a ball riding two-track. Sure it's more flickable than my now 850lb '12 Road Glide but I'd still much rather be on the Harley if riding pavement and that includes in the twisties.

Your statment....The point is Harley is not trying to be something it's not, unlike many other bikes trying to copy its success......is spot on. Harley makes cruisers and until somtime in the mid-80s no other major mfg was selling anything that resembled a Big-Twin HD. Now the copies are everywhere, yet HD has stayed true to it's roots and hasn't branched out into other styles of bikes.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #1509
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
My point is a lot of folks who own "copies" have also owned Harleys,

"The point is Harley is not trying to be something it's not, unlike many other bikes trying to copy its success".
implys bikes that are" trying to be" a Harley but are not are somehow inferior, which comes across as judgmental and elitist, just like when someone criticizes a Harley because it isn't a RR sportbike.

I like American standards like the Roadking, but prefer smaller bikes and for me the Sportster didn't fill the bill, plus I prefer shaft drive over chain or belt. I chose the V-Star exactly because it is like a Harley but isn't.

The "copy" thing with metrics is getting just as tiresome as the "slow and overweight" thing with Harleys.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #1510
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I prefer shaft drive over chain or belt.

Well, there's you problem right there. That is just plain silly.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #1511
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Cool2

Quote:
My point is a lot of folks who own "copies" have also owned Harleys,

"The point is Harley is not trying to be something it's not, unlike many other bikes trying to copy its success".
implys bikes that are" trying to be" a Harley but are not are somehow inferior, which comes across as judgmental and elitist, just like when someone criticizes a Harley because it isn't a RR sportbike.

I like American standards like the Roadking, but prefer smaller bikes and for me the Sportster didn't fill the bill, plus I prefer shaft drive over chain or belt. I chose the V-Star exactly because it is like a Harley but isn't.

The "copy" thing with metrics is getting just as tiresome as the "slow and overweight" thing with Harleys.
Good for you, you found a bike you like that copies a Harley but not exactly. Nobody said it was inferior. Inferences and judgemental implications... you'all sure are a sensitive lot...
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #1512
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
Good for you, you found a bike you like that copies a Harley but not exactly. Nobody said it was inferior. Inferences and judgemental implications... you'all sure are a sensitive lot...
I'll say it. The V-star 650 is inferior. It is also superior in some ways.
I have owned one and the 1100 also. Air cooled... Carbed. It is lighter and easy to ride. The shaft drive is a negative (IMO) as is the very limited power on tap. Cruise all day at 65-70mph though.

Here is Jen on her "Little Big Red"

DAKEZ screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 10:06 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #1513
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
I'll say it. The V-stay 650 is inferior. It is also superior in some ways.
I have owned one and the 1100 also. Air cooled... Carbed. It is lighter and easy to ride. The shaft drive is a negative (IMO) as is the very limited power on tap. Cruise all day at 65-70mph though.

Here is Jen on her "Little Big Red"

Well, I wasn't going to say it, I just hate to offend... but she makes that bike look good!
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #1514
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Old 03-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #1515
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The shaft drive is a negative (IMO) as is the very limited power on tap.
You forget a Ural is my every day ride,

I haven't been on the V-Star in almost 4 years, but recall it had all the power I need.