Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #1561
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
[QUOTE=blk-betty;18567684]And yet.....More than one-third of new Harley-Davidson motorcycle sales in the U.S. in 2011 were to riders new to the brand, and in the EMEA region, more than two-thirds were new to the brand.

Why color? I can't read it.

Quote:
When you some be happy, when traditional customers no longer buy and all sales are to those new to the brand?
Huh? English man, "Do you speak it?"

Quote:
Why is that some can't understand that not every motorcycle buyer is so concerend about handling and performance?

One-third of sales to those new to the brand in the US and 2/3rds outside the US, speaks volumes to "what is Harley doing".
Sadly, because many buy based on image not substance. Explains how Brittany Spears sold so many albums.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #1562
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer View Post
I for one will not miss the XR1200, I feel I see them for what they are, another overpriced styling exercise from Harley Davidson.
You have never even so much as ridden one have you.

Arnold has a message for guys like you.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 04-28-2012 at 09:57 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #1563
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 755
[QUOTE=Thanantos;18567743]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post

I was thinking that too, but then again it is a Saturday night. The engrish might be from a bottle.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #1564
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,364
[QUOTE=Thanantos;18567743]
Quote:
And yet.....More than one-third of new Harley-Davidson motorcycle sales in the U.S. in 2011 were to riders new to the brand, and in the EMEA region, more than two-thirds were new to the brand.

Why color? I can't read it.

Sadly, because many buy based on image not substance. Explains how Brittany Spears sold so many albums.
Color because it's quote from an article.

Speak it yes, type it not so well.

Who the fuck cares why anyone buys, it's their choice and possibly image is substance for some buyers, certainly the case for some GS owners.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #1565
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
You have never even so much as ridden one have you.

Arnold have a message for guys like you.

Yeah, I have ridden more than one. The earlier models and the latter ones. You shouldn't assume I haven't put thousands of miles on a Harley just because I don't like a certain model.

I knew I would draw ire from you. I think Arnold wants you to smell his finger.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #1566
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer View Post
Yeah, I have ridden more than one. The earlier models and the latter ones. You shouldn't assume I haven't put thousands of miles on a Harley just because I don't like a certain model.

I find this odd... The only people that I have ever seen, heard of or read about that have ridden the XR1200X that did not like it were die hard feet forward cruiser riders. Oh Wait.... Never mind.

How are those assless chap anyway?

DAKEZ screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 10:28 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #1567
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
[QUOTE=Onederer;18567882]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post

I was thinking that too, but then again it is a Saturday night. The engrish might be from a bottle.
Betcha I'm drunker than he is
Old 04-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #1568
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
I always like harleys I got bit by the bug somehow when i was 13 but I think it goes back to when i was 4..I remember Folks bought me my 1st harley shirt for xmas of 89 ,I had just turned 14.I guess the owner of the bike shop old man williams told folks to bring him down to see shop and bikes.I ended up buying a back patch of a HD eagle said live to ride and ride to live,I got the sales brochures I couldnt stop talking about bikes in there lol.Old man kept apologizing cause I wouldnt shut up and The owner was like Ive never seen such a young man enthralled w bikes like this one at his age.I finally got that back patch put on my nhra jacket I bought in 2002 at mopar may nationals in E town and in 06 I traded my klr 250 plus 300 bucks for a 1997 sporty w 500 miles on it HD would sell alot more if they were more reasonably priced in my opinion.Im sure some one will disagree w me on that one too probably. My folks werent round to see me get my 1st Hog but I can hear my folks now shut that damn noisey contraption off already,the neighbors are gonna have fits,were already having fits,I was told if I ever bought a bike Home it be the bike or me that Id have to leave the house and find somewhere else to live funny how I still live in my child hood home Let me go out to the garage and make some noise Ill be right backRude raucous and damn proud to be an american!
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #1569
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
I always like harleys I got bit by the bug somehow when i was 13 but I think it goes back to when i was 4..I remember Folks bought me my 1st harley shirt for xmas of 89 ,I had just turned 14.I guess the owner of the bike shop old man williams told folks to bring him down to see shop and bikes.I ended up buying a back patch of a HD eagle said live to ride and ride to live,I got the sales brochures I couldnt stop talking about bikes in there lol.Old man kept apologizing cause I wouldnt shut up and The owner was like Ive never seen such a young man enthralled w bikes like this one at his age.I finally got that back patch put on my nhra jacket I bought in 2002 at mopar may nationals in E town and in 06 I traded my klr 250 plus 300 bucks for a 1997 sporty w 500 miles on it HD would sell alot more if they were more reasonably priced in my opinion.Im sure some one will disagree w me on that one too probably. My folks werent round to see me get my 1st Hog but I can hear my folks now shut that damn noisey contraption off already,the neighbors are gonna have fits,were already having fits,I was told if I ever bought a bike Home it be the bike or me that Id have to leave the house and find somewhere else to live funny how I still live in my child hood home Let me go out to the garage and make some noise Ill be right backRude raucous and damn proud to be an american!
tl;dr
Old 04-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #1570
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
And yet.....More than one-third of new Harley-Davidson motorcycle sales in the U.S. in 2011 were to riders new to the brand, and in the EMEA region, more than two-thirds were new to the brand.

When you some be happy, when traditional customers no longer buy and all sales are to those new to the brand?

Why is that some can't understand that not every motorcycle buyer is so concerend about handling and performance?

One-third of sales to those new to the brand in the US and 2/3rds outside the US, speaks volumes to "what is Harley doing".
Well as a former Sportster owner all I am concerned with is my perspective, not what others are buying or why.

The 2 things I didn't like about my Sportster were the vibration, and it needed another gear. They fixed my objections by adding rubber mounts and a 5th gear, but then they go and slam them with lousy short travel suspension making it the worst handling bike made today.

I'm not a performance orientated rider, I ride a Ural for crying out loud, but even for my expectations their handling is unacceptable.

BTW, I am only offering constructive criticism of one model, not a condemnation of the make.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #1571
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Any bike can be made better,progressive ,Works and a few others make long travel suspension to cure them ill handling stock problems.I will eventually go w a better set of shocks,forward controls,light bar and when it needs a rebuild the 1250 kit.Its a sporty I dont wanna dump more money into the bike then whats its worth when I can buy a bigger bike.I love several of the top models but If I gotta spend 18 grand it will be a road king/ultra w the batwing fairing ,saddle bags and radio.I always loved the look of sportbikes but I could never warm up to them,now at 37 my back is starting to give me problems so I think the sportbike phase has come and gone passed my ass by.When I was 21-22 I was talking to kid brothers neighborhood classmates dad.He had to be in his 40-50s at the time he had a pristine fj 1100.I told him I was gonna get a cruiser he was like your young for christ sakes go get yourself a sportbike your a kid.I still find this funny ya think Id had tell him christ go get a cruiser your old.
I finally broke down and bought my 1st bike at 28 a 02 zr 7s w the old air/oil coooled kz 750 mill in it,too bad I wrecked her she was a good bike herself.Uprights are cruisers are the best bikes for a good day of riding I think
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #1572
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I find this odd... The only people that I have ever seen heard or read about that have ridden the XR1200X that did not like it were die hard feet forward cruiser riders. Oh Wait.... Never mind.

How are those assless chap anyway?
Can you use the word fast without the phrase, for a Harley, when talking about the XR1200X?

Hint: It is a rhetorical question.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #1573
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Serious question for cruiser fans, especially HD riders. What is it with the low, low, looooooow seat height thing? I just don't get it. It is getting to the point that the rider will need Draggin' jeans so his butt can slide along the road while he drives. HD used to make Sporties that were really standards, with straight seats, decent ground clearance, decent lean angles, etc. I know some of the other models offer more of a standard riding position, but why not at least one of the Sporties? I would think that from a practical standpoint HD might be losing some of those new riders when they round their first corner and get scared because they're grinding stuff. That right there completely eliminates an HD from my radar screen, not because I'm some sort of freakin' fast rider, but because I ride a lot of backroads with hairpin turns, bumps, even some dirt stretches where I might need a little bit of ground clearance, etc., that even if you take them very slow you need to lean pretty far over. Even in urban and highway driving you need decent ground clearance. I unfortunately arrived early at the scene of an accident where a left turn lane on a major 4-lane road had some big bumps in the asphalt where all the 18-wheelers had been making the turn--sort of like moguls on a ski slope. The Goldwing with passenger had grounded out going over the bumps and lost it in the turn. Looked like folks might have been hurt too. Point being, reasonable seat height, reasonable ground clearance, reasonable cornering angle are important design attributes that seriously impact not only the driving experience but safety too.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #1574
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuwei View Post
Serious question for cruiser fans, especially HD riders. What is it with the low, low, looooooow seat height thing?
Easy for a fat/obese person to straddle a bike, when he doesnt have to lift his foot too high to get on.
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #1575
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuwei View Post
Serious question for cruiser fans, especially HD riders. What is it with the low, low, looooooow seat height thing? I just don't get it. It is getting to the point that the rider will need Draggin' jeans so his butt can slide along the road while he drives. HD used to make Sporties that were really standards, with straight seats, decent ground clearance, decent lean angles, etc. I know some of the other models offer more of a standard riding position, but why not at least one of the Sporties? I would think that from a practical standpoint HD might be losing some of those new riders when they round their first corner and get scared because they're grinding stuff. That right there completely eliminates an HD from my radar screen, not because I'm some sort of freakin' fast rider, but because I ride a lot of backroads with hairpin turns, bumps, even some dirt stretches where I might need a little bit of ground clearance, etc., that even if you take them very slow you need to lean pretty far over. Even in urban and highway driving you need decent ground clearance. I unfortunately arrived early at the scene of an accident where a left turn lane on a major 4-lane road had some big bumps in the asphalt where all the 18-wheelers had been making the turn--sort of like moguls on a ski slope. The Goldwing with passenger had grounded out going over the bumps and lost it in the turn. Looked like folks might have been hurt too. Point being, reasonable seat height, reasonable ground clearance, reasonable cornering angle are important design attributes that seriously impact not only the driving experience but safety too.
My biggest gripe with HD is that right there... Sportsters used to be the standard/sport bike in the Harley line. It wouldn't take much to make them that again, a standard seat like the triumph scrambler and 13" rear shocks, move the mid controls 1.5" lower and maybe 3-4" to the rear and there you go... I'd be in heaven if they built a standard version like this on a Dyna or better yet FXR chassis.

Unfortunately the best you can do if you like the HD drivelines is to modify it yourself.. suspensions not a big trick but nobody builds a standard seat for Harley Davidsons so you build it yourself or live with what the aftermarket gives you..