Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #1606
p0diabl0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBnite View Post
I love the question: What is Harley thinking with all these bikes "I" don't like? Eventually , you will!

Nite
Sure, when I get my senior citizen discount.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #1607
RBnite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I am glad to see your accepting the enviable!
RBnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #1608
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Sure, when I get my senior citizen discount.
Yep I got mine on my 40th birthday, traded a softail for my first geezer glide and haven't looked back.

Six years later traded the Street Glide on a 2012 Road Glide.

Spent 5 hours yesterday riding the DR650 about 170 miles, 50/50 dirt street. Got home, showered, swapped bikes and met a friend for dinner and a 40 mile ride to a pro soccer match.

Man is that Glide comfortable, cruise control and stereo rocking. Love it!

We all mature, some of us sooner than others, but eventually we all get to the same place.

Those on big touring HDs just get there in more comfort.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #1609
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Heres what I'm thinking of getting... maybe minus the sissybar, dunno yet
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #1610
p0diabl0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
As a relatively young gentleman of 26 I would require this to buy a Harley (Sportster):
Water cooled.
6 speed
Under 600 lbs, preferably under 500.
Clearance like an XR, at the very least.
Wheels that can accept decent rubber.

I would never another model (my ass is still pliable), but if I caught the crazy and wanted a feet forward American bike I like the lines of the Victory bikes quite a bit more. It looks classic yet futuristic, kind of like the new pony cars (Stang, Camaro, Challenger) rather than Harley's stuck in the 1940s/50s/60s looks.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #1611
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,218
Quote:
As a relatively young gentleman of 26 I would require this to buy a Harley (Sportster):
Water cooled.
6 speed

I would never another model (my ass is still pliable), but if I caught the crazy and wanted a feet forward American bike I like the lines of the Victory bikes quite a bit more. It looks classic yet futuristic, kind of like the new pony cars (Stang, Camaro, Challenger) rather than Harley's stuck in the 1940s/50s/60s looks.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #1612
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
As a relatively young gentleman blah blah blah blah blah blah blah stupid requirements that means I'll never buy a Harley but I felt the compulsion to post in a Harley thread anyway blah blah blah

FTFY and ditto on the
Old 05-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #1613
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,449
I'd like a water cooled Sportster too. But, there's nothing wrong with the current XR1200.
You can make it fast enough to cause you to question your life choices. It takes some pretty nice tires. Sounds good. Comes with quality suspension.

Probably in 10 years, people will be snapping them up and standing around looking at them wondering what the hell people in the 2012 market were thinking not buying them like hotcakes.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #1614
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Just wanted to say this thread was a good one to stumble across. I'm in a real pickle as I just purchased a Street Glide last July and have been contemplating an R12RT ever since. Still have my Tuono Factory, so I'm able to scratch that itch...although I'm half considering trading it for a Multi (or an Explorer, but leaning Multi).

I'm probably a bit young for a street glide at 35, but as some have said, it's pretty comfortable and does its job extremely well and in some manner of style. The wife is uber-comfortable on the back, the main reason I ended up buying the SG.

My dilemma, I love the SG, but in a love/hate way. I can't help but think that the RT is more my style...I'm an IT Consultant, I'm a bit of a geek, It would take me 2 months to don a goatee, I have no tattoos, we always ride with full-face helmets and gear. It's funny, my wife and I goto the HD dealer and look around at the people and we absolutely DO NOT fit in...we go down the road to the BMW/Triumph dealer and we're like, Hmm...we fit in with this crowd pretty well. It shouldn't matter!!!! But somehow in my mind it does a little bit.

I guess I'm not sure where I'm going with this....just the therapeutic cry of my soul on an internet forum. I love to hate my Harley and wish I'd walk into the garage one morning and find someone stole it and replaced it with an RT.

Here's my addres..........
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #1615
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Water cooled.
6 speed

Too bad nobody bought Buells.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #1616
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
The sales stats I've read on Harley says they are doing quite well. The local HD dealer recently tripled the size of their operation and it is always busy. As for making sporty bikes, why, they have never sold well for HD. Handling/ride/performance are simply not important issues for a typical HD buyer, looks, status and image is. My local dealer has over 100 new bikes on the floor but has not bothered to bring in a XR1200 model because they had problems selling them in previous years. They day I visited there were 5 people lined up at the register in the apparel section alone buying pirate gear with the HD logo. Harleys are what they are and but there seems to be a huge demographic out their that want to be Harley riders and would never even consider test riding another bike or buying functional gear. Most businesses could only dream for the kind of customers Harley attracts, as a business they are certainly doing something right.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #1617
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
The sales stats I've read on Harley says they are doing quite well. The local HD dealer recently tripled the size of their operation and it is always busy. As for making sporty bikes, why, they have never sold well for HD. Handling/ride/performance are simply not important issues for a typical HD buyer, looks, status and image is. My local dealer has over 100 new bikes on the floor but has not bothered to bring in a XR1200 model because they had problems selling them in previous years. They day I visited there were 5 people lined up at the register in the apparel section alone buying pirate gear with the HD logo. Harleys are what they are and but there seems to be a huge demographic out their that want to be Harley riders and would never even consider test riding another bike or buying functional gear. Most businesses could only dream for the kind of customers Harley attracts, as a business they are certainly doing something right.
I think you're 100% dead-on - it is incredibly mind blowing...

My dad's buddy, who is an incredible dirt-biker on KTM and Honda's...still races at age 61. He is not a typical looking HD biker pirate, but he will absolutely not look at another bike. He's a hard-core tour guy...him and the wife rack up an easy 25-30k miles per year. After getting to know him a bit better the past year or so, he'll almost admit a Honda Goldwing is "pretty nice", but would never dream of driving one. Incredible....not sure why he's so loyal to HD, but he is. Nothing wrong with loyalty - but wow.
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #1618
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,888
I just traded my 09 BMW R1200GS Adventure with right at 50,000 miles for a 2012 Road Glide Ultra.

I'll keep my hot rod modded Hp2 with a big tank for adv riding.

I need a mile muncher and I found the Road Glide to be a fun, comfortable, and satisfying ride. ... amazing Brembo ABS brakes too.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:03 AM   #1619
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Too bad nobody bought Buells.

Well the XBs were more than comparable liter bikes at the time....by a good two thousand dollar.

.....the dealer fucked up the purchase of an 1125R for me.

Good thing too...I'd have been pissed if it got orphaned 8 months later.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:14 AM   #1620
KradmelderSA
Banned

Oddometer: 846
Doesnt really make much sense for harley to change. They sell harleys for the name and image and the loud noise it makes. They market a lifestyle not a bike. If they had to compete on a bike basis they wouldnt cut it, which is why anything outside the traditional has been a flop for them.

If Im looking for decent bike, that is comfortable all day, I can ride off road, commute, lots of power and good power to weight ratio etc. I wouldnt look at a harley. If I wanted to featureas an extra in pirates of the caribbean, or mad max, or liked wearing leather vests like the Village People, I would consider a harley.

Harley will stick to their traditional niche as they cant make a bike that can compete in any other market. A big heavy, slow, noisy vibrating machine wont sell unless it is chromed up and has the harley label on it. The classic market of those who want image over substance. Well some people will pay 3 times the price just for an alligator on the same shirt, or the name Jeep on a t-shirt.

But Harley isnt the only one marketing image. BMW is also trying to market a lifestyle with their GS, but not at the expense of substance. BMW is also selling a 'look' and twat suit, just like harley does, and putting it on the price tag. However, the GS also has other traits that market the bike if you ignore image and can afford the price tag. And the BMW suits are very good quality ATGATT, ans some dont have the logo on.

KradmelderSA screwed with this post 05-14-2012 at 04:44 AM
KradmelderSA is offline   Reply With Quote