User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2011, 05:58 AM   #1
Ullr OP
C+ Racing

Oddometer: 261
Question Enduralast Regulator Mounting

I was reading a post recently about the pros and cons of mounting an Enduralast regulator close to the battery or up front close to the alternator. I swear I have searched and read every post with either regulator or Enduralast in it and can't find it. Am I imagining things? Anybody have a clue to what I'm talking about. I'd like to read it again.
Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,824
What year/model airhead?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
Mr. B.
Climate Controlled

Oddometer: 131
Enduralast mounting

There is a writeup about it in a recent issue of Airmail. It was recomended by Oak to mount the regulator up front near the horn in the airstream. The reasoning was to ensure air moving over it and keeping the Red and yellow wires as short as possible. He recomended pulling power from the starter lead instead of the battery. I mounted the regulator on the side of the rear fender behind the battery sidecover on my R90 and works just fine.
Mr. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
I cooked on regulator by mounting it under the tank on my RT. Definitely not a good place as not enough air flow. I mounted the replacement to the frame tube behind the left side cover where it gets lots of air flow. That was 20,000 miles ago and still going strong. The mount that comes with the regulator.alternator package worked fine. If you go to their web site, it shows this exact mounting procedure. Check out the photos and instructionspage 12 and 13 of the installation guidelines on their web site.http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/v/v...ines_v7.5_.pdf

IMHO the Enduralast was one of the best electrical upgrades I have ever done on any of my airheads. I do not have any affiliation with Enduralast.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
I mounted mine up on the cross bar where the horn is. I had to move the horn over and I used electrical clamps with rubber on them to mount it. I can post more detailed pics if you wish. But there was a thread going around about this very subject. You may have to grind about a little off the inboard couple of fins to keep them from rubbing the fender.

Here it is:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551272

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,611
welded a tab on the frame,

2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,926
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
Ullr OP
C+ Racing

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B. View Post
There is a writeup about it in a recent issue of Airmail. It was recomended by Oak to mount the regulator up front near the horn in the airstream. The reasoning was to ensure air moving over it and keeping the Red and yellow wires as short as possible. He recomended pulling power from the starter lead instead of the battery. I mounted the regulator on the side of the rear fender behind the battery sidecover on my R90 and works just fine.
Thank you. That was exactly what I was looking for. It's in the Jan 2011 Airmail which I had but hadn't read yet. Well maybe I read it drunk and don't remember. I still swear I read it here first.
Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #9
Mendodave
Road Scholar

Oddometer: 865
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B. View Post
There is a writeup about it in a recent issue of Airmail. It was recommended by Oak to mount the regulator up front near the horn in the airstream. The reasoning was to ensure air moving over it and keeping the Red and yellow wires as short as possible. He recommended pulling power from the starter lead instead of the battery.
glad to see I did it the way Oak said!

works nicely, lines are short.

Mendo
Mendodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
Pink Floyd
Air Head

Oddometer: 79
I used the stock battery tray tab and then some spare metal to make a bracket on the right. About 12,000 miles so far and it's been working great.

Pink Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #11
nowhereman
I'm lost -don't follow me

Oddometer: 387
I mounted mine under the tank and it hasn't failed yet. I still don't think it gets enough cool air and will probably move it, but that was around 4 or 5 thousand miles ago and it still works fine. FWIW, I emailed this photo to EME and they said that the location was fine - I still don't have that good a feeling about it though...

Old 01-28-2011, 07:36 AM   #12
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
nowhereman, Your picture under the tank looks exactly where I had mine on my RT. It eventually failed there. If you have a naked bike, it probably will be fine. But, to be safe, I would move it. Those things do get fairly warm.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #13
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
I had mine on the plate the passanger peg of my R100Rs. It was located on the left side of the bike. It quit working within the first year, but that was probably from jumping it when the battery died. I've had the second one under the tank for 3 years and about 10K miles...however it's my winter bike. It's rarely ridden in the heat.
1998 CR250
photomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:50 AM   #14
jdmetzger
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 2,914
Not to drag up the same subject, but aside from burning a regulator out mounting it under the tank of an RT, has anyone else run into issues with it under the tank of something like a PD? I'm just checking if we have more experience with it mounted there than 5k miles.

I just got my kit and I'll be honest - mounting it on my PD where the horn is looks, to me, hideous. That's not saying the GSPD is an especially attractive bike (I always saw it as more function over form) but having a big hunk of aluminum sitting just barely behind the fender isn't my preferred mounting spot. Anyone with a PD is already aware there is a lack of mounting location near the battery so that leaves me with the already mentioned points; where the original regulator went, or under the frame tube directly above the airbox. I'm not sure which of those two really offers a cooler location, though.

I'm happy to see EME is OK with those points, but I'd still rather not have to deal with a failure.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #15
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,231
Mine's under the tank with 57k miles on it but I may have fried it. The voltage runs up to 16 volts when I rev it. I'm going to clean connections to see if it helps. I'm testing it today so I'll see what I come up with. If I did fry it obviously I'd be remounting it someplace else

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote