Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #16
jdmetzger
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Mine's under the tank with 57k miles on it but I may have fried it. The voltage runs up to 16 volts when I rev it. I'm going to clean connections to see if it helps. I'm testing it today so I'll see what I come up with. If I did fry it obviously I'd be remounting it someplace else
Hmm... interesting. That symptom sounds like the "12 volt "hot" source MUST be 12 volt or else you'll see overly high regulator output" warning they mention in the instructions. Hopefully that's all it is for you and cleaning things up will sort it out. 57k is still a pretty good run...

Oh, and I see you're in Georgia - it gets even hotter there than it does here. Maybe that will help me out, too... I like riding in the cold, anyhow.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #17
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,421
and believe me, it was a rough 57k FWIW, the bike still runs and charges fine

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #18
carockwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
If you look at every factory bike, the OEM's all mount the regulator up front where the horn would normaly be on an Airhead. On my R80 ST, I had mine mounted under the seat in the battery compartment. My unit fried, but I think it was a connector failure, not excessive heat that did it. Anyway I mounted my second unit up front, directly on the front engine cover. I don't recommend this either because the front cover gets hot when you park. So I still have the regulator bolted to the front cover, but I have insulated the regulator from the cover. That seems to work well. It never gets warm.
carockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #19
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

The horn bracket looks like a good spot. My horn's not very dirty so I think it'd be safe to put it there, tucked up behind the fender. That'd be about the shortest distance between alternator & VR as you can get.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #20
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
I mounted mine on an aluminum plate between my rear fender and the battery. I don't have side covers so there's plenty of air flow. No probs at all.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #21
jdmetzger
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I mounted mine on an aluminum plate between my rear fender and the battery. I don't have side covers so there's plenty of air flow. No probs at all.
I'd love to be able to mount my regulator near the battery. On the GSPD, there is no place for it. The battery is mounted sideways which eats up all the space from the airbox to the fender. On one side you have the exhaust running not too far away, as well as a small fuse box. On the other side are the battery terminals and the shock isn't too far away which also interferes a bit (I thought about mounting it against the battery on that side but I'm afraid of the shock crashing into the regulator if I did, plus it's still not a great spot with the battery cables running right next to it, and there isn't a great place to even attach it to at that point.

I removed the old system in about 90 minutes today. I'll probably decide tomorrow where to mount it when I install the new stuff (though I don't expect to finish it tomorrow).
Old 03-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #22
Andy-Gadget
Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer: 1,336
I consider good cooling to be more important than close to the battery, but due to impedance considerations closer to the alternator is possibly something of importance.
Both these are covered by mounting forward.

'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '95 Guzzi mille, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa T 350, '78 Montessa 348, "00 XR650R
Andy-Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #23
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,830
There are reasons why all automotive alt.s work like the our stock boxer setup. Permanent magnet setups are making full power all the time. That takes power wasted that could be turning your back wheel AND there is a lot of wasted energy to get rid of via that heat sink of a regulator. I would keep in front and in moving air.

Man! I don't have any issues with the stock setup but I haven't turned my bike into a artificial daylight and do-dad machine either! :)
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #24
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

I like hooking up Christmas lights around the holidays

Old 03-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #25
jdmetzger
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
There are reasons why all automotive alt.s work like the our stock boxer setup. Permanent magnet setups are making full power all the time. That takes power wasted that could be turning your back wheel AND there is a lot of wasted energy to get rid of via that heat sink of a regulator. I would keep in front and in moving air.

Man! I don't have any issues with the stock setup but I haven't turned my bike into a artificial daylight and do-dad machine either! :)
You're in San Francisco - you don't suffer the winters I do.

The stock system simply won't run a heated vest and the heated grips at the same time (I end up with really mild heat from both if I try). Previously I've just run the vest and shoved single-use heat packs in my gloves but that doesn't work as well as the grips for keeping my fingers from going numb. This also doesn't help when an unexpected cold rain starts to fall. Personally, I like the simplicity of the stock system but it just doesn't do what I need. It was either this, or buy a new R12GSA, and this is a good amount cheaper.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #26
LongWays
Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer: 5,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmetzger View Post
I'd love to be able to mount my regulator near the battery. On the GSPD, there is no place for it.

Just putting the bike back together after a tranny rebuild - think I had the ground wire routed differently before.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #27
hwy61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
R100gs

under tank...
Old 03-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #28
jdmetzger
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWays View Post

Just putting the bike back together after a tranny rebuild - think I had the ground wire routed differently before.
Try that without an Odyssey battery. That is the area I looked in for mounting it, but with a full-sized battery in place it runs a bit too close to the shock...
Old 03-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #29
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmetzger View Post
You're in San Francisco - you don't suffer the winters I do.

The stock system simply won't run a heated vest and the heated grips at the same time (I end up with really mild heat from both if I try). Previously I've just run the vest and shoved single-use heat packs in my gloves but that doesn't work as well as the grips for keeping my fingers from going numb. This also doesn't help when an unexpected cold rain starts to fall. Personally, I like the simplicity of the stock system but it just doesn't do what I need. It was either this, or buy a new R12GSA, and this is a good amount cheaper.
And you don't suffer the summers that I do!

I have my bike on high beam all day everyday I ride and I use an electric vest all the time. Heated grips? I don't care for them. Plus I know better than to run too much stuff.

The wiring in some of these photos speaks volumes to me!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #30
redboots
Johnny Lung

Oddometer: 141
A lot of people worry too much!

So long as the FINS are in the breeze, it'll be OK... and the installation doesn't look like a dogs dinner A little bit of juggling helps.

John