Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
TSPAraiGuy OP
CBR600 Chick

Oddometer: 46
What Helmet are you wearing and why?

Hey guys,
I've been workin for about a year now at a shop in PA that specializes in selling Arai helmets. I can tell you all about the product and how in my opinion it is the best helmet on the market. As a shop we provide an awesome custom fitting service that you cant find anywhere else. We get you in the right size helmet and shell shape to protect your noggin.

But I'm posting because I want to know what you guys are wearing and why you feel it is the best helmet for you, or why you don't like the helmet you own..
Most Specialized Arai Dealer in the Americas
Now featuring OGIO & PacSafe Products
Check out our new Webstore!
http://theservicepavilion.com
TSPAraiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,107
I mostly wear a Shoei Hornet DS, and sometimes a Shoei RF-1100. I really like both helmets. Love the Arai's too, especially the XD-3's, but they don't fit me very well, whereas the Shoei's fit me perfectly.

I will say this... Arai and Shoei are expensive, but you definitely get what you pay for. I tried out an AFX and a Joe Rocket Dual Sport helmet, and they felt very cheap compared to the Arai and Shoei. I guess they should, since both were around $150.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 924
Sounds more like an advertizing/spam post to me.

I own a GMax GM68S, and have the same one for the SO.
Light, great venting, fits well, , little bit of added safety with the built in LED rear, and well within a reasonable budget.

Here's the review that swayed me:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...et/gmax/gm68s/

"2007 Helmet of the year"

I'm in the camp of $$$=/= value when it comes to helmets. Kind of like buying a crappy made in china Nike sweatshirt for the logo, instead of getting something just as good from Cardhart or Deluth
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
2006 VStrom 1000 "Felaróf" - July 13th, 2013 (73,000 miles)
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
TSPAraiGuy OP
CBR600 Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
Sounds more like an advertizing/spam post to me.

Sorry, I'm not really trying to advertise and definitely not spamming, just interested in learning peoples opinions about Arai and all other helmets.

And Ive never seen a helmet with a light on the back, that's pretty sweet and a good idea seeing as its hard to see motorcyclist as it is, every little added light or reflector helps.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
TSPAraiGuy OP
CBR600 Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
I will say this... Arai and Shoei are expensive, but you definitely get what you pay for. I tried out an AFX and a Joe Rocket Dual Sport helmet, and they felt very cheap compared to the Arai and Shoei. I guess they should, since both were around $150.
And I definitely agree with this statement, If your looking to pay $100 for a helmet I believe that is just about what you are going to get. As with most things in life, you are going to pay more for a product if you want better quality.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
CanadianGS
GS'n

Oddometer: 74
Arai XD - Love the non-claustrophobic feel (for a full-face helmet) as the chin bar is far from my chin. A little rough at hwy speeds to turn your head. Some noticable distortion when looking at my gps from certain angles(The result of a rather sharp bend in the shield) Not too loud, once you tape up the front two vents (I hear the noise problem has been fixed on the latest generation XD3, which will probably be my next helmet).

Arai Signet - Good quality full-face helmet (my first good helmet).

Most importantly Arai helmets fit my long oval head best! Wish I could find a flip helmet that fits my head and that doesn't leave the chin bar 1mm from my chin.
CanadianGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,308
Since you asked:

I wear an Arai XD3 that I bought from you guys a year ago to replace my XD. Why? I got the XD3 after buying a Shoei Hornet and realizing that the visor is fixed in its position. To me, the visor was too high and didn't really do any good. I've also learned that the angle of the visor can have a LOT to do with the peak "vibrations" that people talk about a lot with these helmets. Finally the XD3 fits me perfectly (more on that in a second) whereas - other than the Hornet - the other dual-sport helmets available just don't fit me.

Why did I buy it from you guys? Robert. He spent probably an hour on the phone with me going over the fitting. He swapped out the cheek pads and sent me an extra "crown" pad to make sure it fit perfectly. And it does.

I'm currently in the market for something like a Shoei Multitech or Schuberth C3. For commuting I don't need the visor and the Multitech seems like a good helmet. We'll see...
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
Terence FFM
prof. cat-herder

Oddometer: 357
Shoei XR1000

Because Arai is just too bloody expensive, at least in this part of the world.

Although I don't think Shoei has quite closed the gap on fit and finish compared with Arai, they are getting closer all the time and that for a considerable difference in price.

YMMV and depending where in the world you are, supply and demand may not reflect the situation here.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,223
A couple of Shoei RF-1000's. Because they fit me perfectly out of the box, because Pinlock makes a visor for them (i ride year round, rain or sun), and because they are really quiet compared to a bunch of helmets I tried before.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
From your posts and responses, you sound like a salesman who is harking his product. Your post count doesn't say much for you either. I realize I am one to talk, but was a fan of the site for several years before joining. I don't get offroad, so figured this wasn't a real proper fit. Turns out I just couldn't stay away and decided to join in the maddness. LOL

I will bite on your question. I wear a ZOX. Check them for yourself. Factor one is it FITS. I have been in them for 9 years, and over 200K miles now and have been in the most comfort since I began riding. Oh yea, I do ride a lot. Safety is met by several standards and racing organizations, it is light and just works. I have spent less over the life of 6 helmets than 2 would have cost of your variety. We change them every 3 years regardless, so I don't care how long a manufacturer will say it lasts. I don't buy a helmet to show off how much or little I spent, I buy it to be there for me when the time comes, I am confident it will be.

Good luck on the question.
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 394
Right now, I'm wearing an Xpeed 706 Phoenix. I got it because of comfort then price and the review from webbike world. Here's more detail behind my process: Motorcycle Gear: The Helmet -- The HJC Lesson.

I was willing to buy a more expensive helmet had I found one that was as comfortable as this one was. I wouldn't have it right now because I'd still be saving for it, but I was willing to do that.

I am glad there are manufacturers out there that can put out a good product at such a low price point.

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
oilfieldtrash
I don't wanna be a noob

Oddometer: 232
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #13
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
We're all familiar with The Service Pavilion.

As long as you're doing research, you'll be okay here. If the mods think it's turning into a marketing arm of TSP, you'll get relegated to the Vendor forum.

That being said...

I wear Arais. I can usually catch them on a good sale, they're really comfortable, Pinlock makes shields for them, I can easily switch out cheek pads for a custom fit, and whenever I've had a problem, I call Arai Americas directly and they've always taken fantastic care of me.

Primarily the Arai XD3. Unlike its competitors, the "peak" on the Arai isn't solely there for styling. It's actually functional. Also, I like the extra room in the chin bar. Much easier to get a Camelbak bite valve in there. It's the only "dual sport" helmet for which Pinlock makes a shield and insert.

I also have a Quantum II. It's quiet and after switching out the cheekpads it fits like a custom helmet. While the shield changing mechanism isn't the most intuitive, I've never had a problem with it and really like that I can change the shield without taking the helmet off.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Xeraux screwed with this post 01-27-2011 at 09:28 AM
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #14
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSPAraiGuy View Post
Sorry, I'm not really trying to advertise and definitely not spamming, just interested in learning peoples opinions about Arai and all other helmets.

And Ive never seen a helmet with a light on the back, that's pretty sweet and a good idea seeing as its hard to see motorcyclist as it is, every little added light or reflector helps.
Akuma helmets.

You must be new to the helmet business.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #15
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,161
I have a couple of Bell Moto 8's for dirt, a couple of Scorpion Exo 700's for the street and an Arai XD3 for DS riding.

I wear the Scorpions the most because the sheilds do not fog and they fit my head the best.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote