Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #196
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Nolan N102. I like the way the Modular works, The liner, The pin lock, The neck clasp. It's a little loud but OK.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #197
Elkwood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I have 3 different helmets that i currently rotate around.

An older x-11 shoei - Love this thing. Fits my head really well. I wear glasses and its slotted for them. My only fault with it is weight and i find it to be on the loud side. Really the standard holder for me when it comes to helmets. I measure all others to this guy.

Shark RSR 2 carbon - I brought this helmet cause i was looking for something lighter. I have some issues with my neck and the shoei was causing me pain at times. Also during the summer i like to switch helmets.
I don't like it. It rides up too high on my face and its just not something i care for. Love the face shield though. Glasses are a pain to get in right. I rarely wear this helmet. Not worn at all since i got the lazar

Current helmet - Lazar monaca carbon black - OMG i love this thing. 1 its light!! - 2. Its my first flip up and i find it to be really nice when i want to scratch my nose at a stop light :). 3. LOVE the transitional shield. Its really quiet compared to either of my other 2 helmets. Also vents like crazy. Almost too good for winter in fla. I worn this sucker almost exclusively since i got it. I wish that shoei made a competing helmet this light and with a transitional shield!

Cons - Don't like the strap setup. I rather just have d rings. Its not super comfortable with my glasses fitted. Its not bad but after a few hours i start to notice my ears hurting at times. The shield fogs very easy. I dont feel its up to the level of shoei in quality. Its just small things.

Going to have to look into some form of antifog. Also the shield is prone to smudges and the optics on it are not nearly as good as the shark or shoei. Its livable but very noticeable to me at night and in certain other conditions. I still love the shield to death though. Its awesome

Overall i really love this helmet to the point i thought about buying a second one before the euro gains much more strength.
Elkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #198
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
Shoei Hornet DS, I love the way it fits.
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #199
fractalsource
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
My Choice?

Akuma Phantom 2.

Why? Lightweight, looks cool. I live in a State where there is NO HELMET LAWS!

- I need to really like the way a helmet looks and feels to make sure I want to wear it.

I was not able to try mine on first. I bought a 2XX Large and crossed my fingers. Luckily, it fits perfectly.
Looks bad ass. Feels light and makes me want to wear it, even though I can ride without a helmet legally.

I also bought the tint on demand face shield. Push a button and it instantly goes dark.
Plug my face shield into my computer to charge the LCD tinted screen insert. It is an insert. I didn't know that - when I bought the TOD face shield.
I would have just gotten the Sol FX face shield, instead, had I known the tint on demand face shield was a goggle lens sized insert.
I go for comfort, mostly.
Last helmet I really liked was an Arai. I just tried on all the helmets in the store till I found one that felt really comfortable, and then I looked at the price. I almost fainted! But it was worth the money to protect my head. I have had it for ten years. Never ended up needing it. - Cost me 700 hundred bucks! - It needs a new paint job and I went so fast - the sun visor blew off. And there are no replacement parts available for it. Booo.
But somehow I think this isn't your first rodeo. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556301

fractalsource screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 03:52 PM Reason: added a link.
fractalsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #200
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,694
I have an AFX, dual sport helmet. I bought it over the Arai XD3 because I could try it on. The local shop wouldn't order one for me to try on. They wanted me to try on some other Arai that didn't have the same shape and thought the XD would be close enough if I could narrow it down between large and x-large. I tried on the AFX 39 DS and it fit very good.

My personal opinion is that most helmets with similar certifications provide similar protection. I'm also of the opinion that wearing a helmet beats not wearing one, but wearing a $500+ doesn't provide significantly more protection than a similarly certified $100 helmet. I'd have bought an Arai if it was available to try on and fit well if it was better (I want(ed) better soundproofing), but I needed a helmet I could try on and the AFX has been a very good helmet for me. With ear plugs (which I should probably be using with any helmet I chose) my AFX provides decent enough soundproofing.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #201
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
I have two of the shitiest helmets imaginable right now hahaha... so I am in the market and thinking about the Shoei Hornet DS, but I am having a hard time convincing myself to drop almost half what my new dual sport cost on a dual sport helmet
KustomizingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #202
sgmartz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I'm also considering the hornet but I hear the peak sucks so now I'm thinking a regular street full face, eg shoei rf1100, any more experienced riders care to comment? Btw I ride a klr and also love the fit of the hornet thanks
Old 12-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #203
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,432
An Arai Signet Q or Shoei Qwest more times than not.....so comfy and relatively quiet. The limited edition helmets typically stay at home.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #204
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Shoei RF1100
Use the shoei for any type of riding

Scorpion Exo1000
Not a big fan of this helmet, but I wear it riding to school.

The Shoei fits me the best.

Nexx doesnt fit very well, neither does Arai or bell. Sadly only shoei does.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #205
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,545
Shoei Qwest

I have a Shoei Qwest. Supposed to be a very quiet helmet, and I've found it to be quieter than any of my previous helmets. The trade-off for quietness is air flow. During the summer, it's probably hotter than your average helmet because of reduced air flow. During the coldest weather there's not really enough chin vent airflow to clear your visor if it fogs, so I have to ride with the visor cracked.

Nevertheless, I like the helmet despite it's limitations.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #206
vanseagal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Caberg all the way. I have had Caberg helmets about last 4 years. Currently I'm wearing Flip up Duke Booster and Full face Ego White Colt. I have tried different helmet makers but Caberg fit is spot on. They have high ratings in Sharp tests and their style is great. Their helmets are really well made and value for money.
vanseagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #207
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,140
Shoei Neotech. Love it. Most expensive helmet I've bought to date but the only modular I've actually enjoyed wearing.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #208
KLF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Nolan N90 in matte black. I had good experiences with my Nolan N35 protecting my face when I needed it most ~15 years ago so this was one of the first models I tried out last fall when I got my current bike.

N90 is modular, for me a mandatory option as I want easy use with my glasses. Integrated sunvisor because I can't use sunglasses. One-handed operation on the chin bar. Pinlock was a nice bonus. N-Com ready: planning to buy unit/cables this winter and be ready for the spring.

And the most important thing, it fits my head. I've also had Shoei and Givi helmets, liked them both but Nolan fit better for me back then and still does :)
KLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #209
racermx66
Husqvarna

Oddometer: 410
I've always worn Arai helmets. They are expensive but the quality is there. I have two Vector Two for the street and an VFX-Pro for the dirt.
Here is my latest Vector 2 with custom paint by Censport graphics.

Here is my other Vector 2 Schwantz replica with my VFX-Pro with an xtremecreations paint job.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #210
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer: 1,744
Good looking lids!
2012 FJR1300, 05 R1200GS, 99 ATK490, 1993 Ducati 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)
Charleetho is offline   Reply With Quote