User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
For street:

Shark RSR2 - fit is great, the 3mm thick visor is very nice, it NEVER fogs up on me and it well ventilated for summer use. And I can find them are great prices.

I've owned and worn several Arais, from Quantums to Corsairs. They are overpriced in my opinion. They are resting on their laurels, and not keeping up with the competition in design and technology. They fog up way too easily. The only helmet I've owned that fogged up worse was the Shoei X-11. After owning several, and getting proficient at doing it, I still HATE the Arai visor changes. And the side pods pop off and get lost/broken too easily. Almost everyone else has developed a quick change visor without pods.

For dirt: Right now I'm happiest with the Bell Moto 8.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #17
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,022
On the dirt and in the snow, ive got an HJC on my head... been riding with ACX3s, since those are no longer in production I just picked up a CLX6. Not a bad helmet, fits like the 509 helmets I was looking at.

HJC's fit me well, comfortable, and they're reasonably priced (A dirt/snow helmet only lasts me about a year).

Also have a Joe Rocket (rebranded HJC) dual-sport lid... Not as comfortable as an xd/hornet, but at a quarter of the cost it's hard to argue with. That really only gets used on the street when it's cold/rainy out... most of the summer I'm wearing my dirt lid with sunglasses.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #18
666 Bandit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Astral X and a Simpson Fury. The visor changes an the Astral are typical Arai. I love the Simpson bt unfortunately that model is no longer manufactured.
666 Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #19
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,647
Nolan N103 -- wearing it because I couldn't talk myself into spending the dough for another Schuberth, and it fits well.

Wearing specs, I really like modular lids.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #20
mac inger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
I have an Arai Corsair V, Dainese Airstream, AGV S4 and a Sparx,...just lost my trusty old RF1000.

The arai is the latest addition. I am trying really hard to like it. It fits really nice but there are two massive drawbacks for me.

1. Its making me deaf. The hole/area around your ears, even though its comfortable creates a chamber of resonance that amplifies all sounds. The first week i got it i could not sleep because of ear pain. Major sinitus.

2. It fogs very easily.

Again im trying really hard to like it, but maybe i should have kept in the direction i was before,namely Shoei RF. NOT buying another Arai.
mac inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #21
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,240
One way to respond to the many comments here regarding SPAM,, etc would be for you to report the results of your marketing research...just a thought.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #22
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
i would have an arai if they were 100 cheaper and did a comparable lid to my shark evoline (ie, a flip front tested as both open face and full faced, so legal [and comfortable] to ride fully open. still unique, as far as i know, in europe at least)
the most comfortable helmet ive ever tried on is nolan, the fit is perfect for me and the lining is plush. and the fitted speakers (for bluetooth but can be used alone with speaker jack) are a great feature, but i dont really want to go back to a traditional flip-front
davsato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #23
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,688
BMW Enduro helmet for me - has been one since I started riding 4 years ago. Reasons: it's light, has great visibility, acceptable noise on the road yet works great offroad, has a visor that rarely steams up, fits my shape head particularly well... and it looks cool I like it so much, I just bought another one!

Have tried a system 5 and a system 6 - sold the 5 as it pushed on my forehead, leaked and steamed up far too easy. The 6 is a really well made and thought out lid - eg: the flip mechanism is on a cam so that it sits lower once it is fully open. And yet, I still reach for the Enduro 95% of the time.

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #24
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
BMW Enduro helmet for me - has been one since I started riding 4 years ago. Reasons: it's light, has great visibility, acceptable noise on the road yet works great offroad, has a visor that rarely steams up, fits my shape head particularly well... and it looks cool I like it so much, I just bought another one!

Have tried a system 5 and a system 6 - sold the 5 as it pushed on my forehead, leaked and steamed up far too easy. The 6 is a really well made and thought out lid - eg: the flip mechanism is on a cam so that it sits lower once it is fully open. And yet, I still reach for the Enduro 95% of the time.
Dammit. I want one of those so badly.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #25
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
is there any gear you don't want?
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #26
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
I currently have three helmets:

1) Shoei Qwest (just bought two weeks ago);
2) Shark Evoline Series 2 (bought a year ago); and
3) HJC AC-12 Carbon bought in 2007.

My wife was wearing an Arai Quantum/f that was outfitted with an Autocom headset and she needed a new lid. Since she was changing helmets, we decided to give Sena Bluetooth headsets/intercoms a try at the same time, so we both opted to buy the Shoeis and mount the Senas on them. We have not ridden with them yet, but we liked Shoei, the Qwest was well reviewed, it's DOT/Snell 2010 certified, has a five-star SHARP rating, and it fit both of us well (see comments below on shield changing).

I bought the Shark because I wanted to try a flip up with a built-in sun shade, and the Evoline (with its unique opening/closing system, where it flips all the way around to the back of the helmet) intrigued me. It's well built, though a bit on the heavy side like most of its type.

I bought the HJC Carbon because I wanted to try a carbon fibre helmet with its light weight and I wanted a shield I could change quickly and easily on the side of the road. It's been a good helmet and I have my Autocom headset mounted in it.

A word about Arai, since both my wife and I have had them. Neither of us will ever buy another Arai so long as they continue to stubbornly insist on that wretched faceshield-changing mechanism. It is the biggest pain in the ass imaginable and we, at different times, have had bits and pieces flying in every bloody direction when we tried to change shields. Never again. It's a deal-breaker for us. If so many other companies can produce good helmets with shields that are easy to change (HJC and Shoei to name just two), what can't/won't Arai? There are plenty of alternatives to Arai.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #27
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Arai Quantums - fit my head, comfy and they have a reputation for being a good helmet.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #28
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
is there any gear you don't want?

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #29
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post

A word about Arai, since both my wife and I have had them. Neither of us will ever buy another Arai so long as they continue to stubbornly insist on that wretched faceshield-changing mechanism. It is the biggest pain in the ass imaginable and we, at different times, have had bits and pieces flying in every bloody direction when we tried to change shields. Never again. It's a deal-breaker for us. If so many other companies can produce good helmets with shields that are easy to change (HJC and Shoei to name just two), what can't/won't Arai? There are plenty of alternatives to Arai.
Arai explains it on their website. Arai wants as few holes in their helmet as possible. The fewer and smaller the holes, the more structural integrity the shell has. That's why they stick with the "pod" system.

Changing the shield on an Arai is actually easier with it on your head.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #30
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
I have a secondhand one I could bring over for a good price if it'll fit you (size 57/58)

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote