Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #31
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Me too. We're a couple o' gear whores.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #32
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
I have a secondhand one I could bring over for a good price if it'll fit you (size 57/58)
Any clue what that corresponds to in US sizes? (I know Xeraux would have dibs, I'm just curious because I've always wanted on e of the damn things meself. Just in white.)
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #33
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,709
Quote:
Arai explains it on their website. Arai wants as few holes in their helmet as possible. The fewer and smaller the holes, the more structural integrity the shell has. That's why they stick with the "pod" system.

Changing the shield on an Arai is actually easier with it on your head.
Not wishing to rub it in... but the Enduro visor is fitted under the same screws that hold the peak on. Simply undo them half a turn, no need to remove them, and the visor can be pulled out and either left out or replaced

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #34
wonderings
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
For day to day commuting and tooling around I use my BMW Enduro helmet. I love having a beak just for the sun shielding it offers, and my ride into work in the morning seems to be directly into the sun. I dont like the Enduro for highway riding though, the beak sends a lot of vibration through the helmet and if I wear ear plugs its like having subwoofers on each ear. For trips and longer rides that involve higher speeds I have a Shoei RF1100. Fantastic helmet, save for the one flaw of it fogging up incredibly easy and needing the chin vent open all the time.
2010 GSA
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #35
Mav
Something witty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Any clue what that corresponds to in US sizes? (I know Xeraux would have dibs, I'm just curious because I've always wanted on e of the damn things meself. Just in white.)

According to this link, this is the conversion:

57-58
22-1/2 - 22-7/8 7-1/8 - 7-1/4

All the gear.. no idea!
Old 01-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #36
Numb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
i only use one helmet currently - my rf1100, very happy with it other than it seems to be huge/big profile for wind from the front but once i get my taller shield installed i think that won't be an issue anymore

i did get the pinlock system for it, and it is impossible to get fogged up now - great product that really takes care of the main problem i had as the days got colder

looking into a DS helmet now - probably a hornet, but arai will be on the table again when i start trying them on (they didn't seem to fit me right when looking for a fullface). also considering an outlaw half helmet - for use in the wide open spaces, but haven't decided if its worth the trouble of carrying it along as a 2nd helmet.

i do usually wear earplugs with the rf1100 if going out for more than an hour at superslab speeds... the windnoise is bad in this helmet imo
Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #37
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
I have a secondhand one I could bring over for a good price if it'll fit you (size 57/58)
Crap. I need a 59/60.

Thanks for offering, though!

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #38
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,328
Quote:
you're gonna need more trailer space for gear and bikes than household goods, if you ever move.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #39
Mav
Something witty...

Quote:
Crap. I need a 59/60.

Thanks for offering, though!
No problem

All the gear.. no idea!
Old 01-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #40
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Arai explains it on their website. Arai wants as few holes in their helmet as possible. The fewer and smaller the holes, the more structural integrity the shell has. That's why they stick with the "pod" system.

Changing the shield on an Arai is actually easier with it on your head.
I've read that (their website), but the fact remains that many other helmets meet DOT/Snell/ECE standards and have shields that are far, far easier to change. Is anyone suggesting that helmets meeting, say DOT/Snell 2010 standards, and which are not Arais, somehow have less structural integrity?
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #41
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Scorpion they fit me the best and they are cheap less than $300 so I can renew my helmets every year I'm not a helmet take care freak I don't care if they scratches the paint or if they fall over the bike on a long trip so I'm done with the $500 + helmets just do the homework about what you wear
Safety 1st. and this is a good website about helmets safety tests http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/schuberth-c3 and you can see how not always wear a 500-800 helmet is the best choice

today's helmets:
Scorpion EXO 700 mat yellow rivets
Scorpion EXO 750 Vintage tricolore (for the Ducati 1000s)
AGV Dragon Matt white for the Cafe CB750
Scorpion EXO 200 gloss blk for the city rides on the M620
Nolan X-602 Stoner Replica for the garage shelf
AGV GP-Tech Rossi Dreamtime (turtle) for the garage shelf
just oreder a new Scorpion EXO 900 hi-viz neon for the summer Alaska trip
yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #42
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
I've read that (their website), but the fact remains that many other helmets meet DOT/Snell/ECE standards and have shields that are far, far easier to change. Is anyone suggesting that helmets meeting, say DOT/Snell 2010 standards, and which are not Arais, somehow have less structural integrity?
The DOT/Snell/ECE standards are a minimum.

The engineering concept is sound. The fewer and smaller holes are going to help maintain structural integrity. Conceptually, they could make a lighter shell with fewer holes in it that performs as well as a thicker, heavier shell with more and larger holes in it.

I can change the sheild on my Quantum II with it on my head in under 10 seconds. About the same amount of time it takes me to change the shield on my Shoei Multitec.

I know people don't like it. It's not the most user friendly system, I had to actually practice installing and removing the shield, and yes, I carry extra pieces for the pods in my tankbag (I also carry spare parts for my Shoei and extra screws for my XD3), but it's not that difficult. You can see the racers doing it all the time when watching MotoGP and the like.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #43
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
I've been wearing Arai Quantums for years. Though not ideal, once you get the hang of it changing shields is pretty easy.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #44
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
...but it's not that difficult.
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. All I'm saying is, with so many options out there, who needs the aggravation? Obviously not a concern for you and some others, which is fine, but there are a fair number of folk who feel like I and my wife do about Arai's shields, and they won't buy them again. Arai doesn't seem to care about that, so presumably they're quite happy with their sales numbers as they are.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #45
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
I've been wearing Arai Quantums for years. Though not ideal, once you get the hang of it changing shields is pretty easy.

Yup.