Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #76
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post

Although I agree the quality of Arai is better than most helmets. I'm not convinced it is so much better that it always justifies the price. I didn't have a problem buying the XD3 for around $350. But some of these $5-600+ helmets?! For me, they don't appear to be that much better than what you can get with a mid level helmet.
My Arai Profile fits me perfect and I hate the goddamn thing. I think it's a piece of shit. I'm forcing myself to wear it one more year, then I'm gonna throw it off a bridge.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #77
Crusty
Cranky old fart

Oddometer: 292
Every year, I go to the IMS show in New York City. When it's almost time for a new helmet, I try on and get the factory rep to check the fit of every helmet that interests me. When I find the one I like best, I make note of it and then I scour the internet for the best price.
I've had helmets made by Arai, Bell, Nolan, Schuberth and Shoei over the years. Since I now wear eyeglasses full time, I prefer a Modular. I'm presently wearing a Nolan X-1002, but I've decided to buy a Schuberth C3 next. It fit best of all the helmets that I tried on, and it has some features that impressed me.
My wife, on the other hand has a differently shaped head, and the helmet that she really liked is a Shoei Multitech.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:55 AM   #78
TSPAraiGuy OP
CBR600 Chick

Oddometer: 46
Talking

Thanks for your input guys, and letting me know what the whole spam deal is about. I mean as with anything I appreciate business if it comes but thats definitely NOT the goal I had in mind when I put up the post. Its great hearing about all the different helmets you guys are wearing and why, its really interesting all the different opinions people have.

As you might have guessed I wear and Arai, the Vector model and I Love it. I got the Matte Black finish because I'm and artist and I love drawing so I just kinda drew all over my helmet with a white paint marker.

I know alot of people have trouble with noise but mine fits me awesome and I dont get alot of extra noise. I mean regardless your on a bike and its gonna be loud no matter what, but my helmet keeps the extra to a minimum. I can hear myself think which might not be such a great thing sometimes, too much thinking gets me in trouble.
Most Specialized Arai Dealer in the Americas
Now featuring OGIO & PacSafe Products
Check out our new Webstore!
http://theservicepavilion.com

TSPAraiGuy screwed with this post 01-31-2011 at 11:11 AM
TSPAraiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #79
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,806
Aria Vector because it fits. Changed out the cheek pads to get the proper fit at there. I've also worn Shoei, Nolan x1002 and Bell but other than the Shoei, the fit has been too round.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:39 AM   #80
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSPAraiGuy View Post
I know alot of people have trouble with noise but mine fits me awesome and I dont get alot of extra noise. I mean regardless your on a bike and its gonna be loud no matter what, but my helmet keeps the extra to a minimum. I can hear myself think which might not be such a great thing sometimes, too much thinking gets me in trouble.

A good fit will cure a lot of ills, but if you still get noise, and everyone probably does. A good set of earplugs will make a world of difference. Even the quietest best fitting helmet will have enough noise to cause hearing damage over time. I know our current lids are about as quiet as I have had, but after 10+ hours in the saddle there is a definate difference in the fatigue at the end of the day when earplugsare used.
I would bet you either have people who know what they are doing to start with or folks that can't spell DOT. Both may have notions about what they "need", so good luck with suggesting that to some folks.
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 AM   #81
TSPAraiGuy OP
CBR600 Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwanderer View Post
I would bet you either have people who know what they are doing to start with or folks that can't spell DOT. Both may have notions about what they "need", so good luck with suggesting that to some folks.
Yeah you hit it right on the nose, its hard to explain to alot of people the importance of a good fit and safety ratings when they already have it set in their mind what they "need". We get so many folks who dont have an open mind and dont even want to hear what we have to say. But more times then not we are able to shed light on most folks about those important facts and a light bulb goes off in their head. People like that are why we do what we do.

And wind noise like you said is inevitable.. I feel like alot of people don't realize that. You will never get a "silent" helmet. You can significantly cut back on the noise with a helmet that fits properly, but even so you are not in a car, there is still air moving ALL around you on a bike. Just throwin that out there.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #82
tpaine
ducatimini

Oddometer: 15
Interesting UK Helmet Safety website

A friend sent this link that lists many of the more popular brands and makes of helmets and their crash tests results. Interesting site. Cheers.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/home
tpaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #83
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
BMW Enduro in Graphite. Why did I buy it? Lots of reasons...
  • Matches the bike (I'm a tart, I know).
  • I wanted an offroad style lid with a visor built in.
  • I didn't, however, want my neck to be snapped every time I did a blindspot check on the motorway. The peak with the holes works perfect. Comparatively little wind resistance, but big enough to keep the worst of the rain/glare off.
  • I wanted to be able to remove the visor at the roadside so I could chuck a pair of goggles over it and
  • Very light and comfortable.
  • I wanted a lid that fitted inside my RHS Vario Pannier on my GS (when the case is expanded) and inside my top box.
  • It has a D-ring fastener and only a D-ring fastener; they're proven, reliable, lightweight and can be tightened on the move. They also automatically compensate for growing a second chin over Christmas, wearing a balaclava, etc. Those seat-buckle style fasteners always seem to fail eventually if you ride lots of miles in the damp.
I like all the above things about it. What don't I like about it?
  • Stock visor mists a lot, unless you use a Foggy Respro/similar.
  • Next to impossible to fit visor inserts to that visor shape without a small gap which makes for "haloing" of oncoming lights at night.
  • Removal of visor takes longer than it perhaps could if the release mechanism was a bit better designed (EG narrow the thickness of the gap in the slot to that of a coin; that's what most people use to adjust them).
Would I buy another? Definately. Might spring for the carbon next time, but I'd be a bit worried about leaving that in plain site on the bike when parked up.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #84
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
I am currently wearing a HJC Symax 2 because I wanted the flip-up feature, it is a very good helmet for reasonable $$$. I have had a couple Arai's in the past which were very good helmets and a Shoei X-11 which I preferred slightly to the Arais I had, because I like the shield removal/placement better. The Arai shield removal was not bad, just a bit more involved than the Shoei.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #85
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,307
Shoei Multitec.

Previously Nolan modular.

Saying wind noise is inevitable is a horribly weak, incomplete assertion.
Proper helmet fit is essential, but helmet shape, the way the visor is attached, the chinbar design, gaps in padding, chin curtains, etc. all come into play.

Also, the same motorcycle and the same helmet might offer significantly different results with different rider body shape, rider position, windscreen shape and position, even handguards.

I had narrowed my next helmet down to an Arai or a Shoei. Then I watched another rider at an ADV rallye change his Arai visor. :eek :no

That Shoei visor is a 2 second take-off and install.

Now it may have been an old Arai helmet and maybe they've improved since this fellows, or maybe he is all thumbs-- I didn't bother to find out the specifics, but the Nolan was a big enough PITA.

On another note, I'll never buy a helmet without a pinlock visor insert. Had an older-style (no silicone seal) on the Nolan and it worked a treat, the new one is even better.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #86
TSPAraiGuy OP
CBR600 Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
I had narrowed my next helmet down to an Arai or a Shoei. Then I watched another rider at an ADV rallye change his Arai visor. :eek :no

That Shoei visor is a 2 second take-off and install.

Now it may have been an old Arai helmet and maybe they've improved since this fellows, or maybe he is all thumbs-- I didn't bother to find out the specifics, but the Nolan was a big enough PITA.
Changing the shield on an Arai takes a time or 2 to get the hang of it. But we have more people than not that learn it/figure it out and dont have any trouble with it. Most helmets have a different shield system and to each his own, but Arai has their reasons for keeping the side pod system and for most it works out.

P.S. BobbySands, I see your a Packers fan... Well I am a Steelers fan Superbowl here we come! I'm ready to see a good game Sunday.

TSPAraiGuy screwed with this post 02-03-2011 at 09:12 AM
Old 02-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #87
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Oneal 2009 Avalon 3-Series

It fits,
It is light,
It does not cost the world,
It has chin bar room for 90deg drink tube,
It has removal liner parts for washing,
It has a big and slightly adjustable visor,
It vents well,
It rides well at highway speeds with relatively small flip up,
It rides well on rough (dirt) roads,
It has an added nose cover that extra holds goggles and protects my nose,

Only wish of improvement is a helmet with a slide up face shield.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #88
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer: 1,625
Love my Shoei Hornet. I found it to be quiet and very comfortable behind a big windshield like my aeroflow. With the stock windshield gusty winds were a problem with the visor.

Decided this fall to make the Hornet my dualsport helmet. Do I was looking for a new full face street only helmet. Shoei RF1100 was oh so comfy. Then the Quest came out. Thinking... Thinking...

Dang, I walked into a dealership and saw the 25th aniversary edition of the Freddie Spencer Replica. I had to have it. One reason was it matched the 1985 version I have on the shelf in my office.

The Corsair V is very nice. Ventilation is amazing. Shield changing is a pain and stupid compared to others. I would have been better off with the Quest for practical reason. But in a couple years I have a new item to display on my office shelf.

Is the Arai worth the money from purely a safety and quality stand point? Not in my opinion. Many other helmets are 95% as nice and just as safe for less then 1/2 the money.
Attached Images

2012 FJR1300, 05 R1200GS, 99 ATK490, 1993 Ducati 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)
Charleetho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #89
flak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbirdrs View Post
Scorpion they fit me the best and they are cheap
same here, they just fit me right...bought them all on closeouts - have red/white burst and black/silver rivet exo-700's, around $100-130/each - for the warm weather I have a vx-17 that was only $40 on clearance - and a vx-24 that was around $40 on clearance as well

scoring helmets on closeout is awesome, they were all twice that price or more at regular prices
flak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #90
htdub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Bell Star Carbon

Wanted a carbon fiber helmet for the extra pose points
Fits my head shape
Black and white helmet
Cool artwork
Vents well
Transitions Visor