User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
My 72 Kawi G3SS cafe is nearing completion

Not many people have ever seen or heard of these bikes before... got her for a good deal, completely stock and not running, daily drove for about 6 months, then started my restoration/cafe-ification.

Started life as this.

Skipping a LOT of explanation and pictures (can post the rest if there's any interest) she now looks like this, just waiting to finish my seat before she's road worthy again.

MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
That is fantastic!
Come on man, you know your just teasing us with the whole, "IF there is interest" thing! Get us some photos!!!!!
Oh, and keep going, that thing is gonna turn some heads!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
MiteyF,

Yes, please post the restoration information! A Kawasaki 90 was my first bike; mine had the blue tank with white panels, like this:

I had a lot of fun with that bike; I'd sure like to find another in restorable condition...

Harry
Harry94025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Where to start.... Purchased all original with about 1200 miles on the bike. After a new coil, points/condenser, upside down superbike bars, homemade fiberglass/carbon seat and fender, tires, and whatever else I'm forgetting, she ran great and was my daily driver for school for about 6 months, looking like this.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Then I picked up a DR350 as a daily driver, so it was time the G3 got the attention she deserved.

The idea of this build was "clean and simple".

Engine was gone through (again) although this picture doesn't show the sand blasted head and jug (when I first got it everything was *caked* in oil and dirt, amazingly dirty for a 1200 OG mile bike).

Tank was sanded and primed, with a bit of dent removal here and there.

Frame was stripped of all unnecessary mounting brackets, cleaned, sanded and painted.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Rear hoop was shortened with new brackets welded on to give the "subframe" a shorter cleaner look. The battery was replaced with 2 6V capacitors, and the rear frame was drilled and tapped for my capacitor/regulator bracket. If you've never drilled small round tubing, a sharp punch and bits are a necessity Note that these pics are of an earlier, higher voltage cap I had, that worked great, but blew bulbs like nobody's business.

Paintwork continued on engine covers, tank, headlight bucket etc. Don't let the pictures from my basement fool you, it's not baby-shit yellow/green, it's Kawi green, but the lighting inside doesn't reflect that very well!

Old 03-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

When it was time for the wheels (which were quite nasty and a bit pitted) wet sanding and polishing wasn't enough. De-spoked the wheels, took the rims to the powder coater and took care of the hubs. NOS spokes came from Thailand (hard to get parts here) and I set about re-lacing my first set of wheels. Not to toot my own horn, but I love the way they turned out!

Before

After

And what the rear hoop/6V caps look like mounted, with the choke relocated

Old 03-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

I was on a budget for this build (I suppose I'm on a budget for ALL of my builds) and thought clubmans would have to do, although I *really* wanted clip ons. However, if you've never tried to find 27mm clip ons, it's not easy. Luckily, Fast from the Past offered some (took my MONTHS to find them) and so I figured I owed it to myself and the old girl to order a set. The levers are temporary, but I wanted to do away with the stock sets as all of the buttons and what not are unnecessary (and ugly)

I was going to mill down the handlebar clamps on the stock triple, but quickly realized there would be NO more material left, so for right now (until I make a custom tree) I have a block off plate, which will likely hold a small digital tach.

Head and cylinder went to the sandblaster. I think I'm going to powdercoat the jug though.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

I ordered footpegs hoping they'd fit. They didn't. Time for some more welding.

Stock pegs sans rubber, were cut in half to use the mounting section. That was welded to a trimmed down m12x1.25x25 bolt, which the aftermarket peg threaded into. Paint is dry, I'm going to put them on and take some pics today.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Think I got a seat sorted out... something that I actually like. Although with no shielding gas and very little welding experience, it sure took a while.

Tank

Which is now a seat

Old 03-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #11
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,452
Bravo! That is so cool! Makes me want to something similar with my Hodaka. I just love little bikes like this, despite the fact that I'm 195 lbs, and can't see why more people aren't into them.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #12
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,304
A buddy had one of these back when they were new. I rode it a bunch of times till I looped it fro him after he begged me to hang some wheelies on it. It didn't damage it at all save for a tail light lens! I did hang some great wheelies on it before it went backwards though. I remember it being fast for a heavy street legal 90cc single for sure. I also though even at the time in the 70s it would be bitchin if it had a few less pounds and alloy rims.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Not many people have ever seen or heard of these bikes before...

my first bike (not this one but one just like it) bought it brand new.

Its a 71. Found a pretty decent one at Mid Ohio in 2007 but no room on trailer. you never forget your first...

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #14
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
MiteyF,

You might already know this, but it's very easy (if the parts are still available) to make this a full 100cc. A new cylinder, piston, and rings are the only things that are different.

Other things I'll pass on -

1) Keep the exhaust baffle clean. When the engine starts to be limited in rpm, I would take the baffle out and burn out the carbon with a propane torch.

2) I notice you've installed a new chain, but posiibly not the sprockets? I would always change at least the countershaft sprocket when installing a new chain and that would have a quite noticeable increase in performance. I'm not sure how much power this little engine makes, but a little bit more is a lot.

3) The rotary valve gets worn out sometimes, so a new valve would also help the performance. A new rotary valve makes a nice "whirring" sound to complement the increased power...

4) Let me know if you want to sell it...
Harry94025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #15
Mulewright
Old Fart/Journeyman

Oddometer: 130
I had bought a new '70 G-3TR (hi pipe & orange) and rode the dog poo out of it for 10k or so miles.
It was getting pretty tired by then so.... (never satisfied to leave anything alone fo long) a "Deal" presented itself .... for $50.00 buy in.
I aquired a '70 "Greenstreak" 100 race bike with a bent frame for the and set about swapping a bunch of parts out.
The motor used the same cases, so it bolted right in. If I recall correctly, these motors were rated at either 18.5 or 21hp @ way over 10k rpm's.
A giant killer was to be born....
Swapped out the ignition with the G-3 stugg so I could have lights & a charging system.
I then found a low expansion chamber and bolted it right on.
Swapped out the forks & triple trees with the doner bike parts, found a pair of shocks that were only 1/2" longer than stock and put them on also.
The "trick" double leading shoe front brake & wheel was donated from a Yamaha 180, and related fab work to make it work as intended.
Put a 48 tooth rear sprocket on it and started playing around.....
Trolling for the un-expecting Honda CB 350 or some such.
That puppy would FLY for a small bike. topped out @ a indicated (by my bud's H-1) 96 mph!
Ah...... THOSE were the days........