Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2005, 12:12 PM   #31
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,293
Hello from San Marcos. I have a spankin' new F650GS and have been riding around the Hillcountry. There are a lot of cool backroads between San Marcos, Wimberly, Driftwood, and Kyle. Around here, you don't have to go far to have fun. A few good barbecue places too (like the Salt Lick)...
DOUBLE-O G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:37 PM   #32
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Ware
The home town of Nolan Ryan
Yep, I can show you his house... but I have never seen any of them outside. I hear that he has moved. Still Nolan Ryan is a man that is respected very much around here. He went from the farm to fame and didn't let the fame ruin him.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:40 PM   #33
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Small world, I lived there (518 @ Old Alvin Rd), before moving to League City
I read one of your ride reports, Alaska was it? Or Mexico... don't remember, I read them all. I remember your screen name and remember a great report from you. I hope to hook up with you and ride sometime.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:05 PM   #34
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCoast
I read one of your ride reports, Alaska was it? Or Mexico... don't remember, I read them all. I remember your screen name and remember a great report from you. I hope to hook up with you and ride sometime.
Thanks mate, the Alaska trip report is still under construction i'm afraid, but I've done a couple of trips to Mexico with fellas from your neck of the woods. Ol' Topes is the go-to man for south of the border trips, he's a wealth of knowledge and speaks the lingo.

Nolan was on the board of directors at the bank by the McDonalds on Hwy 6, saw him over there quite a few times, really down to earth fella.
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 08:25 PM   #35
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailace
Waco Kid How are things going?
Good, but I'm not doing nearly enough riding, other than daily commuting. I need to start riding on weekends more and find some dirt roads.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:11 AM   #36
walks
Beer budget adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Rid'n around San Marcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx
Hello from San Marcos. I have a spankin' new F650GS and have been riding around the Hillcountry. There are a lot of cool backroads between San Marcos, Wimberly, Driftwood, and Kyle. Around here, you don't have to go far to have fun. A few good barbecue places too (like the Salt Lick)...
Gore-TX,

Gimme a holler by e-mail and we can hook up to do some riding.
walks@txstate.edu
-Scott Walker in San Marcos
Old 01-17-2005, 08:13 AM   #37
ezekiel
Lost again

Oddometer: 700
belize guatemala

hey andy t. i was looking at your trip pics form central america and i have a question you can answer better than most. i am heading down to guatemala and maybe honduras in a couple weeks on a connie. will the connie be ok to get through belize and guatemala or should i stay west in guat? are the roads from belize to guat paved? i road to belize in 2002 on the concours but not through the country. what is your opinion on a route to guat on a road bike?
ezekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:35 AM   #38
Stromboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Randy from Tyler checking in. Big Bend is one of my favorite destinations, as well as the Chama, NM area. My bro. has a place way out in the outback of Terlingua Ranch, but I haven't attempted to get my Strom in there yet.

Randy
Stromboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:11 PM   #39
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
Good, but I'm not doing nearly enough riding, other than daily commuting. I need to start riding on weekends more and find some dirt roads.
Let me know when. I'll be in Big Bend the last weekend of February.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:54 PM   #40
AndyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
BZ to GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim freeman
hey andy t. i was looking at your trip pics form central america and i have a question you can answer better than most. i am heading down to guatemala and maybe honduras in a couple weeks on a connie. will the connie be ok to get through belize and guatemala or should i stay west in guat? are the roads from belize to guat paved? i road to belize in 2002 on the concours but not through the country. what is your opinion on a route to guat on a road bike?
Going from Belize west into Guat, the first maybe 15 miles of Guatemala are dirt. I would not hesitate to do it on my Concours, but it will be slow going if it is wet, which it probably will be. Other than that , the roads are good in both countries. If you go to Honduras, I highly recommend the border crossing at El Florido, near the Copan ruins. Low traffic crossing, no hassles. Some maps show the road there is dirt, but it is paved. If you are into ancient ruins, don't miss Tikal. Copan is right across the border into Honduras, as well. Have a great trip. I need to go down there again and take a different route to see the mountains in Guatemala more.
AndyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:57 PM   #41
Bounce
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
It'd be great to keep this thread bumped since it doesn't look like we'll get our own regional. I'm located just west of Austin and am pretty new to the forum and to the 12gs which I'm still breaking in on Hill Country routes. I used to ride a lot in the dirt on a 2 stroke, but the big twin keeps me grinning now. Looking forward to a Big Bend trip myself and will be eager to participate in a small group effort.

If you won't stand behind our troops, please stand in front of them
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:42 PM   #42
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKBEAK
It'd be great to keep this thread bumped since it doesn't look like we'll get our own regional. I'm located just west of Austin and am pretty new to the forum and to the 12gs which I'm still breaking in on Hill Country routes. I used to ride a lot in the dirt on a 2 stroke, but the big twin keeps me grinning now. Looking forward to a Big Bend trip myself and will be eager to participate in a small group effort.
Harry Potter fan?
Old 01-17-2005, 05:45 PM   #43
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks mate, the Alaska trip report is still under construction i'm afraid, but I've done a couple of trips to Mexico with fellas from your neck of the woods. Ol' Topes is the go-to man for south of the border trips, he's a wealth of knowledge and speaks the lingo.
It was the Alaska report, people are still lusting for you to finish it. But you also had a nice report from Mexico I think, that was you. I recognized some of the places you went, but you went during a flood. You are a master of the camera, I suck at taking decent pictures.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:42 PM   #44
greengoose
boondocker

Oddometer: 3
Greenville TX. nOOb here

Hi Texans - This looks like a good place for me to put my first post. Got my KLR 650 back in july since then been averaging about a 1000 miles a month, dont really commute on it just ride around in my spare time with a big dumb grin on my face looking for dirt, mud, rocks, woods, creeks, twisty country roads, etc. Here are some pics from a fun little abandoned railroad up here in my neck of the woods. http://greengoose.smugmug.com/gallery/354204 I have ridden the mountains around SE Oklahoma and Red River NM. and I'm planning a 5 week Alaska ride this summer. I've read some of the big bend ride reports and want to go down there sometime if any of yall get a group going down there I like to tag along I've read that its not wise to take those back country roads solo. -- -- --Dennis
greengoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:55 PM   #45
greengoose
boondocker

Oddometer: 3
Told you I was a newbie

OOPS! dont know how I managed to post that 3 times and that pic came out real small Oh well I 'll have to work on my posting skills

Dennis
greengoose is offline   Reply With Quote