Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2005, 09:05 PM   #46
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoose
OOPS! dont know how I managed to post that 3 times and that pic came out real small Oh well I 'll have to work on my posting skills

Dennis

The delays are irratating, aren't they? There is a handy delete button if you edit the excess posts.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:44 PM   #47
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,054
Howdy,

Regarding having our own regional section for Texas, I already run a separate forum for Texas riders: Two Wheeled Texans.

http://twtex.com/

I want to be clear though that I am not here posting just to troll for members to join that forum. I LOVE the advrider site and post here regularly. But it is annoying that we don't have a place where we can get ahold of Texas riders when needed, which is why I started this thread

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:56 AM   #48
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCoast
It was the Alaska report, people are still lusting for you to finish it. But you also had a nice report from Mexico I think, that was you. I recognized some of the places you went, but you went during a flood.
Yeah, I know. Believe me I feel guilty but it turned out to be very time consuming and times what I'm short on at the moment.

The Mexico trip was a blast. We got in a bind trying to close the loop through Tabares when a couple of bikes got drowned out in a river crossing (one of them terminally). Then, just when you we thought things couldn't get any worse, we got turned back, about 15 miles southwest of Batopilas by AK-47 toting bandits

Tourmeister might recognise the fella in the blue.

The bottom six shots on page 12 are actually short MPEG movies, one of a rider going in the drink

Link To Page 12
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 10:16 AM   #49
GT-STMC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
From Weslaco Texas here. Always looking for local places to ride and people to ride with in the deep deep south of Texas.

Myself, two brothers, and someone else from this board are all going to Big Bend this March...., post up if your from around here, or interested in Big Bend then.

2001 KTM 640 Adventure, 1997 Kawasaki Ninja (converted to "street fighter" form)
"Sex....., Money......, Horsepower......, too much is never enough"

2004 Mustang Mach1, 1970 Mustang Mach1
GT-STMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:18 PM   #50
K2
Dare to Win Well

Oddometer: 4,891
another Texas dual sporter

Hello - Sandy checking in from DFW. I've lurked here a lot, but rarely posted. Always looking for dirt in TX that I can ride without trespassing. Big Bend is one of my two wheeled goals, along with Moab, Grand Canyon, and a few other famous places. Usually, I'm just glad to get out and ride, anything, anywhere.
Native Texan on a KLR650.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:54 PM   #51
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,054
Hehe, cool pics. Just a note though, it was not Irondawg that killed his bike in the drink. He dropped it but managed to hit the kill switch on the way down so it did not suck up too much water. The vid of him dropping it is great Especially since it is not a vid of me doing it...

I have a nack for finding rather nasty muddy roads unexpectedly... Some have resorted to calling me Ditchmeister No vids though, hehe.

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:44 PM   #52
DirtRideRoader
Armed and Dangerous

Oddometer: 404
I tell you, I don't know when Scott has time to ride. He has over 500 posts on every forum known to man. The only place I haven't seen him is on the Micapeak List Server. I guess it is just a matter or time, or maybe he only posts on forums...

By the way, the TWTEX site is a great place to talk bikes with other Texans. Native and naturalized.
IBA #23263
DirtRideRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:07 PM   #53
cyclecat
half post a day wonder

Oddometer: 1,317
Multi-bike-owning Austinite here. Buried under work for the next 5 months. Won't do much riding except from home, to work, to home until June.

Tourmeister's Two Wheel Texans site is a great resource. I don't visit nearly often enough. You should join.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:51 PM   #54
BonneRocker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I'm here....

I'm in Austin and ride every day (to work) and explore the woods on the weekends.
BonneRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 07:40 PM   #55
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Ware
Yeah, I know. Believe me I feel guilty but it turned out to be very time consuming and times what I'm short on at the moment.

The Mexico trip was a blast. We got in a bind trying to close the loop through Tabares when a couple of bikes got drowned out in a river crossing (one of them terminally). Then, just when you we thought things couldn't get any worse, we got turned back, about 15 miles southwest of Batopilas by AK-47 toting bandits Link To Page 12
Don't feel guilty, we understand really. Ya gotta have time to take care of busness and time to ride. The posting is comes way down the line from that.

Those pictures were awsome, you just love to feel other people's pain... is that it? What kind of camera do you recomend. I have a Nikon 35mm right now but looking to go digital.

We didn't have any bandit problem. We came in the back way to Bathopilas from Creel. Took us two days to get there, hit Saltivo before Bathopilas... is that the way you are talking about? Leaving out we went back not through Saltivo, but the normal way in (only two ways in and out). Going out the gravel road was very easy and pavement most of the way back to Creel. If you came in the back way HATS OFF TO YOU, don't see how you did the river crossings after the rain. They were tough enough for us at low water levels! We had a four wheel drive truck drown out it's distributer, but no bikes down in the water. Dropped my bike twice on the switchbacks. It was my very first dirt ride experience and on a 1150GS. Is that a good thing?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:17 PM   #56
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Don't feel guilty, we understand really. Ya gotta have time to take care of busness and time to ride. The posting is comes way down the line from that.

Those pictures were awsome, you just love to feel other people's pain... is that it? What kind of camera do you recomend. I have a Nikon 35mm right now but looking to go digital.

We didn't have any bandit problem. We came in the back way to Bathopilas from Creel. Took us two days to get there, hit Saltivo before Bathopilas... is that the way you are talking about? Leaving out we went back not through Saltivo, but the normal way in (only two ways in and out). Going out the gravel road was very easy and pavement most of the way back to Creel. If you came in the back way HATS OFF TO YOU, don't see how you did the river crossings after the rain. They were tough enough for us at low water levels! We had a four wheel drive truck drown out it's distributer, but no bikes down in the water. Dropped my bike twice on the switchbacks. It was my very first dirt ride experience and on a 1150GS. Is that a good thing?
Not to take thread away....but I ran into a group of guys from MN down in Baja who did one of the routes out thru the canyon from Batopilas....and they didn't exit at Alamos....and the river crosssing (one biggy) they did was done by taping up all outlets/inlets and 2-3 guys walking/wading the bikes across...said it was way too deep on their run to ride.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:26 PM   #57
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
and the river crosssing (one biggy) they did was done by taping up all outlets/inlets and 2-3 guys walking/wading the bikes across...said it was way too deep on their run to ride.
The bikes did fine on the river crossing. The truck did not. I have since heard of people taking the fan belt off of trucks to keep the water off the motor/electronics. Anyway we survived and had a good time doing it.

If I gotta tape up my air breather and walk the bike accross I think that it might be time to turn around. haha
Old 01-18-2005, 08:56 PM   #58
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
We did Creel-Batopilas in a day. Played around in Batopilas leaving late the next day and wanting to camp in the canyon we stayed at La Bufa, then back to Creel the next day.

Then we headed from Creel headed SW and spent the night in Bahuichivo. Next day we hit Urique and pulled out the maps. We could either head back to Bahuichivo, or try to make it down unknown to us trails to Batopilas. We made it as far as the river at Tabares which was about 4' deep. Spent the night camped in a ranchers corral and planned a new route, bypassing the main river.
We did a few small river crossings the next morning that were pretty easy. The one that became our undoing wasn't particularly deep it was just full of large boulders. Hindsight, If we'd helped each other get across it would have been easy, but we thought it was funny watching each other struggle and swim.

Here's the track log from my GPS. We were less than 15 miles from Batopilas but had to back track 2 1/2 days back to Creel

stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 09:07 PM   #59
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
The bikes did fine on the river crossing. The truck did not. I have since heard of people taking the fan belt off of trucks to keep the water off the motor/electronics. Anyway we survived and had a good time doing it.

If I gotta tape up my air breather and walk the bike accross I think that it might be time to turn around. haha
The main reason for disabling a radiator fan is to keep the fan blades from being drawn/pulled into the radiator itself. It's common for vehicles set up for this type of thing to have a circular guard on the engine side of the radiator that prevents the fan blades from contacting said radiator.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:23 PM   #60
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Ware
Yeah, The Mexico trip was a blast. We got in a bind trying to close the loop through Tabares when a couple of bikes got drowned out in a river crossing (one of them terminally).
What type of bike got drowned out in the river? Guy from work is talking me into the KLR650 due to lack of sofisticated electronics. You could dry it out and be back on the trail. What ya think?