Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2005, 06:09 AM   #76
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCoast
Desert Sky knows his way around; at leat I think he does. Anyway we are planning to go next month. I have been the the Big Bend park it's self but looks like he know way more than I. I'll follow him.
Oh, I'm no expert on the park but have been out there about half a dozen times or so. I haven't, until now, had anything capable of exploring the back roads. Been down a couple in my truck, went down a couple on the wing and been down all of them in my mind. Here is a cool link for anyone wanting info on the road conditions.

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/dailyreport/roadconditions.htm

Mention Big Bend and I salivate like Pavlov's dog. Maybe after I take the BAD (Big Ass Dirtbike) out there and let it beat me up I may have a different view.
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 07:32 AM   #77
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,728
Another austinite here, really enjoying the dirt
roads on the GS. I've taken more pics worth
looking at in the few months i've had the GS
than in the 4 years I've owned my k12.

Anyway, if anyone wants to go for a ride lemme
know. I think I may go to daytona this year
but Big Bend is also overdue for a visit before
May.

Best,

Eric
Austin

r12gs
k12rs
k10rs
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 08:00 AM   #78
rpilottx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
Another Texan, last time I looked El Paso had not become part of New Mexico. Have a VStrom and LC4. Lots of open land and back roads in southern New Mexico. Big Bend is only 5 hours away.
rpilottx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:58 AM   #79
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,054
I'm putting together a Big Bend trip last weekend of April, April 29th - May 1st. It looks like we will be leaving Austin Friday morning and riding out to Alpine. Spend Saturday goofing off, both street and dirt routes for people to choose from, Sunday, head back home. This is going to be a rally type event. Here's the thread about it on the TWT site:

http://www.twtex.com/viewtopic.php?t=3033

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 01:33 PM   #80
K2
Dare to Win Well

Oddometer: 4,878
KLR vs F650 Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCoast
I was looking at the BMW F650 Dakar, but looking harder at the KLR... What do you think about the KLR650 and what modification are necessary to get the beast to carry the load (me and camping gear). I am thinking front and rear progressive springs... others stuff. Let me know your view point.
Hey..if you're a big guy, and/or plan on carrying 100 lbs or more of stuff, and/or plan on riding the KLR pretty hard (air time) then yes, suspension upgrades, braided brake lines, and a license plate move will most likely be called for.
My husband is NOT a big guy (165 lbs) but he does ride his KLR pretty hard. He's already had the license plate fold up under the rear tire a time or two. He's also had to stiffen his rear shock (factory shock - adjust) some. My KLR is totally stock except for tires, I haven't changed the shock adjustment, but I've never bottomed out either. I'm pretty heavy for a gal and I do get some air on my KLR now and then, but no worries yet. They're really great bikes. I think I've ridden my old XT225 only twice since I got the KLR (Nov'03), you can spend all the money you'll save if you pass up the Dakar, buying cool stuff for the KLR and taking long adventure trips.

Lets Ride !!!
Old 01-21-2005, 03:19 PM   #81
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrno2
Hey..if you're a big guy, and/or plan on carrying 100 lbs or more of stuff, and/or plan on riding the KLR pretty hard (air time) then yes, suspension upgrades, braided brake lines, and a license plate move will most likely be called for.
Thanks for the reply. Do you know the load capacity for the KLR650? I know that the BMW F650 load capacity is a little over 400 pounds with the stock setup. For the price the KLR is looking better to me. I saw a '97 model for $2100 and I can buy a new one for $4600.

Looks like a lot of upgrades for the KLR would be needed. Front and rear suspension upgrade, fork brace, then all the luggage
Old 01-21-2005, 04:39 PM   #82
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

Howdy,

This is a SHORT notice of a dirt ride tomorrow We are starting here in Huntsville at 9:00am. We'll ride a few horus and wind up in Montgomery for lunch at King's Cafe around noonish, about the time a front comes rolling through and drops the temps. Supposedly, there is only a 20% chance of rain... If we get real lucky, the front will pass through while we are eating and then we will keep riding all afternoon, getting back to Huntsville around 4-5pm. Figure 200-230 miles round trip from starting point and back, not including your mileage to get here. My home address is:

1617 Woodland Lane
Huntsville, Tx. 77340
936-295-0187

We'll be running through some National Forests and doing lots of little county roads, hitting pavement just to get between the fun dirt stuff. Expect dry sand, wet sand, mud, clay, gravel, pine needles... Knobbies not required but sure make it easier No single track stuff though.

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 01-21-2005, 07:44 PM   #83
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister
Howdy, This is a SHORT notice of a dirt ride tomorrow We are starting here in Huntsville at 9:00am. Adios,
Sorry, I can't make it. I wish I had known sooner. Please keep me in you que of people to call for a ride. I really want to learn the North of Houston area better. My phone number is 218-331-7209.

Hey, this Texas forum was a great idea!!! I am glad that I found it. I hope you guys have a fun time tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:45 PM   #84
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Howdy, This is a SHORT notice of a dirt ride tomorrow We are starting here in Huntsville at 9:00am. Adios,
Sorry, I can't make it. I wish I had known sooner. Please keep me in you que of people to call for a ride. I really want to learn the North of Houston area better. My phone number is 218-331-7209.

Hey, this Texas forum was a great idea!!! I am glad that I found it. I hope you guys have a fun time tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:56 PM   #85
EricFoerster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Abilene checking in. Like all here...ride ride ride. Most all places when the boss, "satin's brother", allows

Ride the Hill Country and Big Bend when possible.
A few rides here
EricFoerster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 07:27 PM   #86
whoa
01 triumph tiger

Oddometer: 8
David from Austin (central Texas). I'm ready to do a lot of hill country riding and looking for a run to Big Bend soon. The Tiger has some dual sportability so I'm also interested in dirt/gravel roads, maybe some jeep tracks around to try getting dusty, if not dirty.
whoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:07 PM   #87
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

Howdy,

A question for those of you that have done some dualsport riding in the Big Bend area. Has anyone gone down FM 169 from Marfa and run the loop that goes down around Papalote Escondido, Colorado and thru Wire Gap? If so, is this a route doable on a GS1150 with TKC 80's? I'm just trying to lay out some decent dualsport routes out of Alpine that would take most of the day (9 to 5 hehe). Anyone?

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 01-24-2005, 04:28 AM   #88
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoa
David from Austin (central Texas). I'm ready to do a lot of hill country riding and looking for a run to Big Bend soon. The Tiger has some dual sportability so I'm also interested in dirt/gravel roads, maybe some jeep tracks around to try getting dusty, if not dirty.
A couple of guys from the Houston area are planning to head out to Big Bend mid February. I'll check and see, I don't think they would mind having another along. Some fexibility in the exact date might be necessary since the weather might cause it to be shuffled to another weekend.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:35 AM   #89
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Howdy,

A question for those of you that have done some dualsport riding in the Big Bend area. Has anyone gone down FM 169 from Marfa and run the loop that goes down around Papalote Escondido, Colorado and thru Wire Gap? If so, is this a route doable on a GS1150 with TKC 80's? I'm just trying to lay out some decent dualsport routes out of Alpine that would take most of the day (9 to 5 hehe). Anyone?

Adios,
You may also want to look at Pinto Canyon Rd out of Ruidosa to Marfa as well. I understand 169 from where it crosses the tracks south to 170 is a maintained gravel road. I'll know more next month
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:42 PM   #90
Tourmeister OP
What's that funny noise?

Howdy,

Desert Skies, I look forward to your scouting report! It looks like we will be basing the rally out of Alpine.

Thirdcoast, you tried to register on the TWT site. Earthlink may send the emails from the forum into your spam folder. If you did not get the account confirmation email, please let me know and I can manually activate the account for you. You will need to make sure that admin@twtex.com is an address that does not get blocked by the spam filters.

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans