Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
REVAXMAN OP
trienfieldman

Oddometer: 1
China advice

Hi folks,

Could anyone who has taken a bike into China share their experience in regard to import rules, permits ect?? I will be going in Summer 2013 for degree work and some teaching, but of coarse I wish to live on my two wheels, and the likely hood of finding a prepped 60's Unit Triumph that shifts on the right (correct) side : >) seems slim.

Any thoughts appreciated and if PM is more apropos rather than this forum please do!

Safe travels one and all
Old 02-04-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
GRF_Hans
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
It is extremely expensive and troublesome to get a bike in to China (unless you have some gangster connections in HK or Japan that can ferry it in). Haha. I have been living in Shanghai for over a year now, and I can tell you with certainty that unless you are in Northeastern China or far western China, you can rarely get a plate for anything over 250cc. Even if you can, it will cost you an arm and a leg (a Shanghai Hu-A plate which let's you ride all throughout the city costs 50,000rmb this year, which is about $7500 US).

Again, I am not TOO well-informed on this, but having ridden their for a year and hearing my pals bring it up every once in a while, this is what I've heard.

On the bright side, I believe the word on the street is the regulations will be changing within the next year or so to allow bigger displacement bikes. Will try to follow up for you once I return to China!
GRF_Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:49 AM   #3
China2wheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Forget it

It is impossible to bring a used motorcycle into China, except on a short-term guided tour (very very expensive).

Bringing a new motorcycle into China is also near impossible, but can be done if you have the correct visa & your company is willing to help you out (unlikely).

Motorcycles are available here in China, but it is a completely different market. Check out www.mychinamoto.com ... that is a mini-advrider website for expat riders in China.

There are also a myriad of rules & regulations about where you can ride, licensing, insurance, etc.

It is not simple, at all, but with local expat support, anything is possible.
China2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:16 AM   #4
Row1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question China

I, too would love to travel through China on my Triumph (a Tiger 900) in 2013 but... it seems a bit too difficult from what I can gather. Ideally, I would ride from Vientiane, Laos to Shanghai, then ship the bike to Japan to continue the trip.

I suspect I might have to return to Bangkok from Laos and airfreight to Osaka and, unfortunately, miss travelling through China.

The overall trip plan is to ride from Melbourne, Australia to Kobe, Japan, taking in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, (China), Japan. I have been to all these countries before, not by bike and mostly for work purposes, but I am keen to get to know them a little better by travelling the best way possible - by bike
Row1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
moonwalk
noob

Oddometer: 2
HI,i am a chinese,which city will you study?
it's really difficult to ride a bike more than 250cc IN China.only few city like BEIJING SHANGHAI,big city ,they permit bike more than 250cc(MOST CITIES in china don't sell large than 250ccBIKE,IT'S illegal),only bmw,ducati,harley,beneli,are legal to sell large than 250cc bike.but you cant imagine how expensive .a BMW 1200GS ADV,will costs you more than 400000RMB ,then you are allow to ride ......
moonwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
moonwalk
noob

any one who have questions in China,can email me at 395784889@qq.com
moonwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
China_huangmaomao
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwalk View Post
HI,i am a chinese,which city will you study?
it's really difficult to ride a bike more than 250cc IN China.only few city like BEIJING SHANGHAI,big city ,they permit bike more than 250cc(MOST CITIES in china don't sell large than 250ccBIKE,IT'S illegal),only bmw,ducati,harley,beneli,are legal to sell large than 250cc bike.but you cant imagine how expensive .a BMW 1200GS ADV,will costs you more than 400000RMB ,then you are allow to ride ......

ni zhe yang jian zhi hui ba lao wai xia pao de ,hahahiaha

qishi mei zhe me kua zhang de
Old 05-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
jpma
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_huangmaomao View Post
ni zhe yang jian zhi hui ba lao wai xia pao de ,hahahiaha

qishi mei zhe me kua zhang de
agree with you!
jpma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
ElemenoPea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Would it be possible to arrive in a city like Kunming, buy a cheap used motorcycle and drive the country for 2 months? I live in Vietnam and would like to do that before leaving Asia.
ElemenoPea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
richardktm
Richard KTM

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElemenoPea View Post
Would it be possible to arrive in a city like Kunming, buy a cheap used motorcycle and drive the country for 2 months? I live in Vietnam and would like to do that before leaving Asia.
thats definatly the way to do it in china, used bikes start at 2 or 3000rmb
which will be a 125cc.. new 250's start at 6 or 7000rmb and you should get half that back when you sell.. learn some basic chinese, learn how to say guest house.. if you ask for a hotel, most chinese people will take you to the best hotel in town because you're a foreigner.. and check out your map or gps options.. most gps systems don't work here in china.. good luck

ps lots of good info on www.mychinamoto.com

rich
richardktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
ElemenoPea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Thanks for the link.. I did a trip like that in Vietnam last year and it was very easy to find guesthouses etc. because of the roman alphabet. China would be a bit more difficult I think.!
ElemenoPea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
cryptographicide
n00b

thanks

@ RichardKTM

Thanks for the link. I've been looking for a Chinese expat riding forum for a few weeks now.
cryptographicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:17 AM   #13
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Here is a 125 that a guy a a Kung Fu school I was studying at bough for 1200 RMB. This wain Fujian province about a fortnight ago. Not much wrong with it except it does not have plates so he can only ride it locally where the police know him. The only other thing was the front forks were a bit shot - but still ridable. Point is, if you can get that for 1200 rmb, then you could get a pretty decent working, registered bike for not that much more.

We asked and a brand new Honda 250 was about 3000 USD.

jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
300kg
on our 1st RTW trip

Oddometer: 5
Any news?

I know it is probably been asked thousands of times, but.... any news about entering China with a motorbike?

And what about registering my bike with a Chinese licence plate? (is that even possible?)

Come on!!! I've been dreaming about riding in Xishuangbanna for over 2 years now....
Old 01-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
Revenue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300kg View Post
I know it is probably been asked thousands of times, but.... any news about entering China with a motorbike?

And what about registering my bike with a Chinese licence plate? (is that even possible?)

Come on!!! I've been dreaming about riding in Xishuangbanna for over 2 years now....
Everything is possible just the costs are not cheap, we are riding from Kashgar to Mohan / Laos in Sept this year approx 6500km in 34 days, calling in to Mt Everest base camp on the way, very difficult to put a price on these sorts of things, to me it is worth every penny, to others its expensive, as they say ONE MANS CEILING IS ANOTHER MANS FLOOR,
A guy from the UK rode a different route had 21 days in China his costs where about 5300 Pounds Sterling this was 2011.
Your guide will sort it all out for you about permits, Licence plates and Driver Licence.
PM me if you want our guides email address.

Eric
Revenue is offline   Reply With Quote