ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
nxdirtbag OP
Commuter Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
VA TECH Riding Memories

Pilo started a thread about the ol' Larsen Leathers and the old legend of Ollie from Blacksburg. Pilo has sparked my curiosity about who else from our college days might still be on two wheels and on advrider.com. I may not have had the great grades, but the riding and memories from those years are the best. How many of my old riding buddies from 87-93 are members here? I had a list of riding friends long enough to always find somebody that would help me miss class to hit the trails. I don't even have last names for some of these guys, but I still remember what bike they had. See the list below and let me know if you are out there or reply with your own VA TECH riding memories from this or a different time frame. NX

Pat - KL250,XR200,KDX200
Ty - SP200
John - XT200
Ken - IT200
Doug - XT550,XT600
Bernie - XL250R
Soccer Brian - TW200
wheelie Brian - SP200
Somebody on a nice NX650 which spawned my interest in larger dual sports
Jim - XL200R
Jamie - DT175, and the same XL200R from Jim (I still have a key to it)
Barry - KDX200
Travis on one ratted NX650
Roland from Mark IV
John - XL250
Chris - Maico Spider,XL600R
Rob - XT350
and of course PILO
My friend Pilo's adventure book

nxdirtbag screwed with this post 01-28-2011 at 11:28 AM
nxdirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
Radford signing in here. I was there from 83-87 and rode an 81 cb900f. Motorcycles at Radford were almost non existent if you lived on campus. Myself and one other guy who rode an FJ1100 spent a good many hours riding the back roads of SW Va. We would have others filter into our group over the years but they either wrecked (3 that I can think of) or their motorcycle interest was short lived.
I remember it being pretty rare to see bikes other than Harleys on the back roads in the 80's. I was from DC and would always ride the Parkway home during breaks. One highlight was riding the Parkway after the flood of 85 and seeing waterfalls all along my ride that were not usually flowing.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxdirtbag View Post
Pilo started a thread about the ol' Larsen Leathers and the old legend of Ollie from Blacksburg. Pilo has sparked my curiosity about who else from our college days might still be on two wheels and on advrider.com. I may not have had the great grades, but the riding and memories from those years are the best. How many of my old riding buddies from 87-93 are members here? I had a list of riding friends long enough to always find somebody that would help me miss class to hit the trails. I don't even have last names for some of these guys, but I still remember what bike they had. See the list below and let me know if you are out there or reply with your own VA TECH riding memories from this or a different time frame. NX

Pat - KL250,XR200,KDX200
Ty - SP200
John - XT200
Ken - IT200
Doug - XT550,XT600
Bernie - XL250R
Soccer Brian - TW200
wheelie Brian - SP200
Somebody on a nice NX650 which spawned my interest in larger dual sports
Jim - XL200R
Jamie - DT175, and the same XL200R from Jim (I still have a key to it)
Barry - KDX200
Travis on one ratted NX650
Roland from Mark IV
John - XL250
Chris - Maico Spider,XL600R
Rob - XT350
and of course PILO
I didn't go to school there, but raced in several of the motocross races the school club put on down that way. That was back in the late '60s. I was racing a Kawasaki F21M (Green Streak) flat tracker, that I converted to an MX bike. 21" wheel, lengthened the swing arm, layed out the shocks, whacked on the rotary valve, etc. Never made the "podium" but did have some 4th. and 5th. place finishes. I loved that track, where ever it was.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 853
VA Tech is where it was at.

Some of my best motorcycling memories are within 20 miles of Blacksburg. I had an NX250 and an XR600 that were used in all weather around there. One day my roommate and I had to heat up the crankcases of our bikes with a propane torch to get them started even though we had stored them in the hall in our apartment. The needle was at minus 20 that day.

Bonus points for anyone that can name the place.

For a ride report from some Tech graduates (including a modern version of the picture above) check out this report.

The Cheesy Riders

I need to dig up some old pictures and get them scanned.
pilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:20 AM   #5
Wanderer13
2009 Trail #81 Champion

Oddometer: 339
You can add me to the list. I could be seen riding around on a black and red Kawasaki EX500. I graduated form VT in 92 with a BA in Finance.

David Fowley
Wanderer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:43 AM   #6
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post

Bonus points for anyone that can name the place.

I think I'll guess that was you guys getting out of detention from the Breakfast Club and heading over to St. Elmo's Bar . . . .

(I kid - I graduated H.S. in 1986. But I think I burned all the pictures with my acid washed jeans pegged)

Cool mustang behind you guys.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
We used to drag race in the Deadman center parking lot as after hours it saw little use. Making $3.35 an hour it's hard to imagine me wasting a tire like this. Oh well, I was 19.

2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
ODSTeve
Feet First

Oddometer: 28
Do you have a map or anything? I'm a current Tech student and I've heard that there are some crazy trails around, I just don't know where to look.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,688
I was there in the early eighties. Class of George Orwell - '84. I bought a Jacket from Larson Leathers. I remember the signs but not what they said. I still have the jacket. I had street bikes so the most off road was the fire roads. I finally made it to the Audie Murphy Monument on Brush Mountain last summer. Blacksburg is great for motorcycles, bicycles camping etc....

I dug out and scanned a few pictures. It was a good excuss becasue I was looking for an old picture on top of Brush Mountain where the power lines cross.

Top of Brush Mountain in the eighties XS650

Same spot last summer. I have to go back and put the Vstrom in the Picture

Motorcycle Parking behind AJ. Gone now.

Cassell coliseum

The Parkway

Above Cascades 1981

Terrace View 1983

Trail From Cascades 1981

Riding Around Blacksburg 1981

Brush Mountain Fire Trail above Pandapas Pond

Great place. Wish I still lived there.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
nxdirtbag OP
Commuter Adventurer

Those photos bring back memories. We often road/raced to the Memorial on the fireroad crossing over 460 along the ridge of Brush Mountain. What was the name of the neighborhood where the road started (something Forest)?

I'll never forget the first time we ran into mountain bikers getting ready to go down the "Drop Off" trail from the top of Brush Mountain descending down to the Panadapas Pond trails. When they asked us where we were headed, we said down "Drop Off" and they didn't think motorcycles could handle that trail because it was so rough. So we took off down the trail to demonstrate. We regularly went down and then back up "Drop Off" because we weren't allowed to ride down near Pandapas Pond.

We were in Blacksburg when I think mountain biking really started taking off. I even pedaled some of those mountains myself. But we also demonstrated for many mountain bikers what a motorcycle was really cabable of doing. We also built many of the trails with motorcycles that the mountain bikers frequented as favorite extreme trails.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #11
nxdirtbag OP
Commuter Adventurer

Quote:
Those photos bring back memories. We often road/raced to the Memorial on the fireroad crossing over 460 along the ridge of Brush Mountain. What was the name of the neighborhood where the road started (something Forest)?
PRESTON FOREST!!! I just received a work related call and oddly enough they mentioned Preston Forest. I almost yelled out "that's it". I might have to take a ride up there from Roanoke sometime this spring. But if I remember correctly, the last time I was up there, the fire road was closed. Anybody know?
Old 02-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
Are any of you guys riding in this thing? http://www.hogs4hokies.org/Welcome.html

I suspect the biggest group of riders will be coming together in the Richmond area. I'm trying to get a few fine folks from the Tidewater area to participate. Maybe meet up with the main group in Trouteville....

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,418
Quote:

I'll never forget the first time we ran into mountain bikers getting ready to go down the "Drop Off" trail from the top of Brush Mountain descending down to the Panadapas Pond trails. When they asked us where we were headed, we said down "Drop Off" and they didn't think motorcycles could handle that trail because it was so rough. So we took off down the trail to demonstrate. We regularly went down and then back up "Drop Off" because we weren't allowed to ride down near Pandapas Pond.

We were in Blacksburg when I think mountain biking really started taking off. I even pedaled some of those mountains myself. But we also demonstrated for many mountain bikers what a motorcycle was really cabable of doing. We also built many of the trails with motorcycles that the mountain bikers frequented as favorite extreme trails.
That wasn't me in that group of mtn bikers, but that's where I started riding bicycles seriously.

I was there 86-93. If y'all had hot dogs from Steve's/BoJo's we've prolly met.

M
Old 02-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
tallbob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
It's closed at the Preston Forest end. There's a gate with a sign for foot traffic only. I rode it for a few miles not long ago from the Audie Murphy end. There are a few "private property" signs on that end but no houses that I could see.

I was at Tech from 69 to 73 but didn't start riding till after that. I did that fire road in my 63 Dodge Dart when it was muddy! A miracle I made it through.

Quote:
PRESTON FOREST!!! I just received a work related call and oddly enough they mentioned Preston Forest. I almost yelled out "that's it". I might have to take a ride up there from Roanoke sometime this spring. But if I remember correctly, the last time I was up there, the fire road was closed. Anybody know?
Old 02-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,688
Preston Forest. Is that the Neighborhood on top top mountain between the power lines and 460? In '82 or 83 I road from 460 to the power lines then past a little ways but the mud puddle I cam upon was too deep for the XS650. While contemplating going through a jeep came along an went thought well over the axles.

Last summer the road up to the power lines was good and dry. I had my son on the back and when I got back had a few scrapes on the bash plate on the Wee. I just need one more inch in the rear.

Worth the Walk

From Here

Top of Hill.

Did you ride through this? Is it slick?

Wee Strommin along.

biker128pedal screwed with this post 02-09-2011 at 04:27 PM
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote