Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2015, 06:41 AM   #1
atomicalex OP
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,685
I stopped by the Victory/Indian shop....

Damn, those things are pretty. But huge. Not my style, but damn pretty. I hope the Indian Scout is as well-built as it is cool-looking. It's really cool-looking. Not sure about the brown seats, but whatever.

What struck me as interesting (and I'm definitely taking a cue from the HD dealer thread) was the variety of gear and general lack of "fake" gear - stuff that looks biker but is not protective for crap. I don't know this market at all, and found it kind of neat that this dealer only stocked the more purpose-built items. No brain buckets, only 3/4 and up helmets. Lots of branded armored jackets and pants. And tucked in the back, Klim and Powerlet. Granted the manager is a former racer and one hell of a rider....

Maybe this is just this one dealer? They are a Penske dealership. Or is it a thing with Victory and Indian to be more aggressive with safety gear?

Anyway, the humorous aspect of it was that it was about 25°F out, and the only two bikes in the lot were my baby GS and the manager's old 1100GS. We had a good laugh about that. The service writer was just shaking his head. I said, damn, all you need here is a Starbucks, and we are all set!
Old 01-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 733
Yes, I'm intrigued by the Scout. It's an interesting blend of retro and modern styling, isn't a huge beast, and I'm told is a blast to ride.

The dealer here I found to be one of the most welcoming places around. You would think that any business trying to sell you expensive things would be that way but so many give the impression that it is an imposition just to have people come in for a look at their bikes. I wasn't looking at gear that day so I didn't notice what they carried.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #3
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLunk View Post
Yes, I'm intrigued by the Scout. It's an interesting blend of retro and modern styling, isn't a huge beast, and I'm told is a blast to ride.

The dealer here I found to be one of the most welcoming places around. You would think that any business trying to sell you expensive things would be that way but so many give the impression that it is an imposition just to have people come in for a look at their bikes. I wasn't looking at gear that day so I didn't notice what they carried.
I think that back in the day many motorcycle dealers were owned by crusty enthusiasts who didn't have much patience with the average casual motorcyclist. That has changed for the better although there are hold-outs.

A friend is supposed to take delivery of his Scout sometime this month. I'm looking forward to that. It's the first motorcycle he's owned in 30 years, I hope he takes to it..
woodnbow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:09 AM   #4
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Was surprised to see the old Harley dealer in Daytona is inhabited by Indian/Victory now. We stopped in to check it out on the way over to Ultimate seats in Ormond Beach.

Of course they didn't have a Roadmaster, or Scout in stock. Just about all of their Indians were red as well, evidently black, and blue are more popular in Florida.

Wish Indian, and Victory well, the more to pick from the better. Stopped in to the BMW/Triumph/Ducati dealer just down the road. Had to get out of there before the salesman talked me into test riding a new GS, had already locked my wallet in the RGU before going in...

The guys at Ultimate seats were great. I passed on their Harley seat (wife wasn't with me) but had them install the tour pack relocation plate. Their seat for a Valkyrie was so comfortable I had a look online for an Interstate when I got home...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
Snowbird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Indian Motorcycle Dealer Locator Link

Here is the link to find a dealer if you have not yet seen these bikes. They're definitely worth checking out, especially for those familiar with the "other" brand, for comparison purposes.

The link:
http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/dealer-locator

I have no personal connection with Indian motorcycles.
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #6
AndyT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
I stopped by the Indian dealer in San Antonio and they had just uncrated their first Scout. It's an interesting looking bike. The first thing I noticed is the frame is cast aluminum, kind of like the Buell XB series but without the fuel in frame thing. If anything it looks better in person than in the pictures I had seen. The 60 degree DOHC engine looks similar to the V-Rod in general layout. I was surprised to see it only had a single front brake. The feet forward riding position is a deal killer for me though, at least on a bike I would use for transportation. I have an XR1200 and like my feet underneath me.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #7
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,624
There is a dealer 37 miles from me. They are a multi brand dealer but carry Indian. they don't have near as much gear as the Harley dealer across the street from them.

The Indian bikes look great but are way too big for me. I don't like the big full fenders on them but thats just me. I havn't seen a scout in person yet. I don't like them that much looking at the pictures. I need to get over there and see one in person before I pass judgement on them.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:30 PM   #8
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlex
Maybe this is just this one dealer? They are a Penske dealership. Or is it a thing with Victory and Indian to be more aggressive with safety gear?
I think it may be a dealer thing. I've looked at the Indian website and their Apparel-Accessories-Bike Options pages seem to be lifted from the HD "Nostalgia/Lifestyle/Image Playbook. I hate to sound negative, but "same tune, second verse"...

--Bill
Old 01-01-2015, 02:44 PM   #9
Kiba
Dances With Huskies

Oddometer: 151
I haven't been to an Indian dealer (with the caveat that I haven't been in any vehicle dealer since I was 6) but I was really surprised when I first saw the Scout. I think they're shaping up to be a potentially nice brand and a good competitor to Harley.

They seem to take the classic American art deco thing seriously, and as a result they build some good-looking bikes. The Chief is obviously trying to evoke the old Chief and the Harley VL/WLs, which it does pretty well, and the Scout almost verges on steampunk at the right angles. Pretty cool especially from a "homegrown" American company.

I also like that they seem to be avoiding the chopper style, which I've never liked too much. Lots of americana in their stuff but so far I haven't seen ape hangers.

Of course, modern HDs are dependable and well-built, and I'm totally ignorant of how the Polaris Indians stand up in terms of durability and servicability.

Wolves do it in the snow.
Kiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #10
Bines
Ex C50 Driver

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba View Post
I haven't been to an Indian dealer (with the caveat that I haven't been in any vehicle dealer since I was 6) but I was really surprised when I first saw the Scout. I think they're shaping up to be a potentially nice brand and a good competitor to Harley.

They seem to take the classic American art deco thing seriously, and as a result they build some good-looking bikes. The Chief is obviously trying to evoke the old Chief and the Harley VL/WLs, which it does pretty well, and the Scout almost verges on steampunk at the right angles. Pretty cool especially from a "homegrown" American company.

I also like that they seem to be avoiding the chopper style, which I've never liked too much. Lots of americana in their stuff but so far I haven't seen ape hangers.

Of course, modern HDs are dependable and well-built, and I'm totally ignorant of how the Polaris Indians stand up in terms of durability and servicability.
I've been trying to ignore the Scout because I really want something other than a cruiser this time. The HD 750 is only on my list as a low price choice if ADV size bikes don't fit.

Then you go and say steam punk. Yeah. I can see it now. Do the painted body parts in a brass colored wrap or paint. Or sand the tank to metal, acid wash and clear coat it. Are the fenders metal? A steam punk themed bike is wish list item of mine.
Bines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:14 PM   #11
Bines
Ex C50 Driver

Oddometer: 61
And the brown seats look awesome. On the red, black and gray bikes, they look awesome. Do a steam punk theme, and they'd look even more awesome.

Not so much the fringe though.
Bines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #12
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,253
at the NEC bike show they looked lovely but they are huge i was shocked when i seen the spec sheet.
Klr 650 the worst ever made
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:28 AM   #13
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
I stopped by a dealer before Christmas and checked out the new Scout, along with the other bikes that Polaris/Indian are producing. They are impressive, especially from a fit and finish prospective. The Scout is a nice sized bike, and appears to have some real modern aspects to it, but I didn't care for the feet position. I've ridden bikes with the feet forward position and after about an hour of riding it is not comfortable for me. Much rather have my feet underneath me. The Harley road glide, with foot boards, is about the only cruiser style bike I have ever found comfortable for all day in the saddle. Otherwise, I really liked what I saw in the bike.

The dealership, while small, was very nicely laid out, and did have quite a bit of good looking and well constructed gear on display. They even had a couple of the Polaris car/bike batmobile looking things there. Someone had just gotten back from test "driving/riding, whatever it is" one of them. Ugh.

The dealership I visited was in Phoenix/Scotsdale, AZ.
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:40 AM   #14
atomicalex OP
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,685
I saw the batmobile on the road the other day. It is indeed weird-looking.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:17 AM   #15
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,055
I have test ridden the new scout, it is nice. Not quick the the FJ900. No chance for a wheelie unless you abuse the clutch. Rides and steers really well, plenty of power. The single disk works well, this is NOT a canyon bike, it is a cruiser. For that role it is fine. It is more normal size. It is a fun bike. Has 10K oil change interval. Needs valves checked every 20K, graded tappets? No Shims? 15W60 oil.

The big indian will run with a Harley CVO stock, for much less money. If you put a pipe, intake and exhaust on one, I would expect it will run off and leave a CVO. The are a comfortable nice riding bike, better brakes than the CVO. Both the CVO and Big Indians are wonderful riding.

Reliability is unknown at this time, they do have a long warranty of 5 years. 5K oil change and not much else.

They use 20W40 oil.

They show all the signs of a company committed to making a superior product. One of the demo bikes I rode had a go pro for the shifter so they could study fit on their customers.

Rod

Rod

ragtoplvr screwed with this post 01-02-2015 at 07:27 AM
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote