Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #1
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,851
Laugh Off-Pavement riding 2-up: Tips and Tricks?

So I was out on a day ride yesterday on my adventure rig (Scramster) and , as my girl and I have done on many occasions, we decided to take the road less traveled and rode as many dirt roads, levees and double track as possible. Her and I have ridden real off-road (single track & atv double track as well as crossed sections with no marked trails) a few times and it was fairly difficult. I attribute this to a couple of factors. First the bike is heavy with both of us on it (around 820lbs fully loaded with gear and passengers) and secondly, she has no experience riding off road. At one stop she and I got into a serious talk about doing a long tour 2-up which led to her asking why we don't do more off-road riding together.. This got me to thinking.

I have spent quite a bit of time teaching her to be a good passenger while street touring. We can ride at a pretty good clip on the paved twisty bits and I can often hear her woo-hooing and haha-ing on the back of the bike as we ride. When it comes to off-road/pavement I have been a shitty teacher. Not because I "am" a shitty teacher but because I have been riding dirt since I was a little kid and I often take for granted the skill set that I've developed because of that time and that other people are not me. Also I feel extremely protective of her and have been hesitant to ride aggressively with her on the back.That said, yesterday her and I really began to focus on ridding aggressively as a couple on one bike. We focused on how she can develop her skills as an off-road passenger so that her and I could ride both more safely and more aggressively. We practiced hard braking , spent a bunch of time figuring out how to slide/drift the rear end of the bike under braking and hard throttle input and even did a couple of small jumps.

My question to the ADV community is : What tips , tricks and moto-excercizes do you guys use for teaching a passenger to be good at aggressive off-pavement AND off road riding ?

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 06-21-2015 at 05:43 PM
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:10 PM   #2
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post

My question to the ADV community is : What tips , tricks and moto-excercizes do you guys use for teaching a passenger to be good at aggressive off-pavement AND off road riding ?
Here's a tip. Don't be an idiot with the girl on the back.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #3
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 9,040
Get her on her own ride. +1 to post 2; it's great fun until you land that jump a little off and she falls off.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #5
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

I respect the safety concerns but I'm looking for advice on how to better teach her to be a good off road passenger. We're both adults and can access our own risk and safety needs..

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 06-22-2015 at 05:32 AM
Old 06-21-2015, 10:58 PM   #6
Takataka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I find when climbing anything even mildly steep that I need to move right forward and ask the passenger to move forward as much as possible behind me. Sounds obvious but I see people allowing their passenger to sit right back and they have no control over the front and no ability to add power without losing control.

You need to build the trust of the passenger so that they will be happy to stay on the bike until you make the call that a section will be easier or safer if they walk (or push ). Then you can both enjoy the ride.
Takataka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:42 PM   #7
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,689
Quote:

Rule number 1, don't do any aggressive off-pavement riding with a passenger.

Rule number 2, see rule number 1.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:55 AM   #8
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
As others have suggested, take it smooth 'n' easy when riding two up off paved roads. Keep your aggressive tricks and skills for when you are riding solo……

….. better still, get her a bike and ride solo together.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:11 AM   #9
stevo7706
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I remember when I was around 15yrs old I was the passenger on my friends dirtbike and we crashed. I landed right on top of him like a mattress. He ended up in an ambulance ride with a broken leg.
stevo7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:30 AM   #10
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takataka View Post
I find when climbing anything even mildly steep that I need to move right forward and ask the passenger to move forward as much as possible behind me. Sounds obvious but I see people allowing their passenger to sit right back and they have no control over the front and no ability to add power without losing control.

You need to build the trust of the passenger so that they will be happy to stay on the bike until you make the call that a section will be easier or safer if they walk (or push ). Then you can both enjoy the ride.

Thank you. That (having her move forward when I move forward) was one of the things we covered this weekend and it greatly improved steering control. Smooth power slides became quite easy by the end of the day. Having her remain relaxed through sandy sections helped reduce wallowing and made it much easier to throttle through. one other thing that I noticed is that if I move slightly farther forward than I typically would riding solo, the bike is far more neutral.

Again, thank you to those suggesting that we not ride aggressively together or that she get her own bike but this thread is not about that. this thread is about teaching people that have already made the decision to ride aggressively two up and how to improve their skill level so that rider and passenger can participate in this activity as safely as possible.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:50 AM   #11
codys
Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer: 1,261
Agree with the keep it easy at first and advance as experience advances.

I'd add teach the passenger to weight the pegs like you do in the rough terrain. My wife and I have covered some rough terrain here in Colorado and Baja doing this. 2 up standing/crouching is not for everyone.. Practice,practice,practice.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:41 AM   #12
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,488
I'm definitely interested to see if anyone has any ideas on how you can more safely jump an 820 pound pile of motorcycle, people and luggage.
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #13
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
I'm definitely interested to see if anyone has any ideas on how you can more safely jump an 820 pound pile of motorcycle, people and luggage.

Who said anything about jumping 2-up? Everyone knows you need a sidecar for that.

Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:19 AM   #14
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 15,182
Quote:
this thread is about teaching people that have already made the decision to ride aggressively two up and how to improve their skill level so that rider and passenger can participate in this activity as safely as possible.

Maybe read through a few LittleWan/BigWan ride reports, nobody is riding faster two up than they are. Lots of great vids and tons of pics plus great commentary about what they do, someday when Matt races Dakar I fully expect to see Kelly on the back.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #15
Bikedude987
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I certainly don't have the experience of others here, but I've taken the Tenere two up through some...inappropriate...terrain. The kind of stuff that once you're in it, you have to ride through it. my $.02,

Smooth is king. Your goal is the most comfortable, smooth ride possible. Part of this is you, part is bike setup.

Don't be afraid to ask her to get off and walk a section, especially loose rock or deep sand. It's easy for you to step off, but much more dangerous from the rear.
Bikedude987 is offline   Reply With Quote