Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #241
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
Just curious when NY started this,,,,, I have a car and bike (both registered in NY) in VA that never get a NYS inspection and never had this happen.
Evidently the emissions part of the inspection goes into a state database and you can't renew if there's not an inspection on record within the last 12 months. Not the same as the Mass. program where they'll actually suspend an active registration for no inspection. My bad. Also it seems like they wouldn't catch emissions-exempt vehicles like bikes, pre-97 diesels, cars <2 or >25 years old, etc.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/rbe.htm
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #242
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
Evidently the emissions part of the inspection goes into a state database and you can't renew if there's not an inspection on record within the last 12 months. Not the same as the Mass. program where they'll actually suspend an active registration for no inspection. My bad. Also it seems like they wouldn't catch emissions-exempt vehicles like bikes, pre-97 diesels, cars <2 or >25 years old, etc.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/rbe.htm

Okay.... I guess I don't need to worry about it anyway.... all my vehicles are either diesel or motorcycles.

Sounds like another way the rest of the state gets screwed over because of NYC.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #243
Grifter_500
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I received my permanent registration and sticker the other day. Do I need to sign anything on the back before taking this to the Indiana BMV?

The printed part of my registration shows my info and bike info but then on the back there is a place to fill in: date, name of new owner, address of new ownder. Do I put my info in that area as well or just leave blank and take to local BMV?
Grifter_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #244
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter_500 View Post
I received my permanent registration and sticker the other day. Do I need to sign anything on the back before taking this to the Indiana BMV?

The printed part of my registration shows my info and bike info but then on the back there is a place to fill in: date, name of new owner, address of new ownder. Do I put my info in that area as well or just leave blank and take to local BMV?

That's for transfer of ownership. I can't see why you would sign it.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #245
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
So I can fill out the form and send the the money with a photo of my IT465 and I can get a plate?

Did I read this right?
Under 500cc no vin inspection needed.
Mr. Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #246
Grifter_500
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Fill out the registration form, send along a bill of sale, make sure to figure sales tax off NADA or call to find out how much they will charge. If you send in wrong amount they will send it back and you will have to correct and send back in.

Took about 2 weeks to get my plate and about another week to get permanent reg and sticker.

Later this month I will go to the local Indiana BMV to turn in the VT reg for a title.

I'll update once I have done that.
Grifter_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #247
scudffxi
n00b

Oddometer: 4
first of all id like to say thank you for this information! i have a 1993 gsxr750 and my main concern is the vin inspection. the engine serial number does not match the vin so im guessing at some point there was an engine swap. it is still a 750 engine but im guessing it will not work for me? also there are no side fairings or turn signals on it at the present. thanks.
scudffxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #248
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Quote:
Originally Posted by scudffxi View Post
first of all id like to say thank you for this information! i have a 1993 gsxr750 and my main concern is the vin inspection. the engine serial number does not match the vin so im guessing at some point there was an engine swap. it is still a 750 engine but im guessing it will not work for me? also there are no side fairings or turn signals on it at the present. thanks.
The rest of your questions are answered upthread, but are GSXR frame and engine numbers supposed to match? My DL650's frame and engine numbers have nothing to do with each other, nor did those on the KLR or my oilhead BMW before it. (and, for that matter, none of the cages where I remember looking had any correlation between engine and frame numbers either). Also, Vermont does not even ask for the engine number, only the frame number (a/k/a VIN). The only state I've lived in where the engine number was recorded was California, though I'm sure there are more.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:44 AM   #249
scudffxi
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
The rest of your questions are answered upthread, but are GSXR frame and engine numbers supposed to match? My DL650's frame and engine numbers have nothing to do with each other, nor did those on the KLR or my oilhead BMW before it. (and, for that matter, none of the cages where I remember looking had any correlation between engine and frame numbers either). Also, Vermont does not even ask for the engine number, only the frame number (a/k/a VIN). The only state I've lived in where the engine number was recorded was California, though I'm sure there are more.
Thank you sir I was thinking there was no hope. I noticed the vin and engine numbers on my ninja do match so I thought they would probably be the same on this one but after some research it seems they don't match on suzukis. So the vin inspection is pretty much just a cop running the vin on the frame and giving me a printout? Sorry if this sounds dumb. I have never had a vin inspection before. I live in nv if it makes any difference.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #250
CS_0427
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I'll agree. My GSX went through VT just fine with just the frame VIN verified. That is how modern bikes are registered. Engine numbers were used a LONG time ago for cars, and while modern vehicles will at times use a derivative number or record the engine number upon assembly, this is not required to match for any state I'm aware of, certainly not Vermont.
CS_0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #251
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS_0427 View Post
I'll agree. My GSX went through VT just fine with just the frame VIN verified. That is how modern bikes are registered. Engine numbers were used a LONG time ago for cars, and while modern vehicles will at times use a derivative number or record the engine number upon assembly, this is not required to match for any state I'm aware of, certainly not Vermont.
California titles list the engine number for bikes (but not cars) to discourage theft. In theory if you swap the engine, you're supposed to have the bike inspected and the title fixed. I'm not sure how you'd ever get caught, though--there's no periodic inspection, so the only way would be if a cop really wanted to throw the book at you or if you were being investigated for running a bike-theft ring.

The only thing it's ever done for me is made a few DMV employees lay on the ground to read engine numbers when I've brought bikes in from out of state.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #252
CS_0427
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Classic over-regulation. The key issue: Does the law say they have to match? If not, no big deal. If they do, then everyone that's ever had the engine replaced (to include warranty work, while rare, it happens) would have no way to title the bike.
CS_0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #253
scudffxi
n00b

Thanks for the help guys. i was just a little worried they will be checking the engine and if it was swapped i may not pass the inspection, but it sounds to me like they are pretty much just running the vin on the frame. i did one of those 10$ vin searches and it did not uncover anything sketchy. i have one more question. on the vermont dmv form after number 8 am i supposed to fill out the transfer of ownership section or leave it blank? thank you all again for the help.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #254
Doin12volt
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hello all!

Hey everyone!

Im doing the same thing with the lost title situation.. Anyways - I have all the paperwork, and bill of sale, but how do you figure out the #9 section, with Registration, title, tax, transfer, etc...etc... fees.. How much? I know 1500 = 90.00 tax.

Been checking out the forum. Loving the photo challenge.gonna have to get in on that soon.
Doin12volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #255
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS_0427 View Post
Classic over-regulation. The key issue: Does the law say they have to match? If not, no big deal. If they do, then everyone that's ever had the engine replaced (to include warranty work, while rare, it happens) would have no way to title the bike.
On most bikes, the numbers on the engine and frame don't match from the factory. They're not even close. A BMW VIN starts WB1.... but the engine number on mine was 112EB.... and the serial numbers at tne end were completely unrelated as well. Same goes for cages.

If the engine in your bike doesn't match the engine on the paperwork in CA, you have a problem. If it was a legit swap, all you had to do was get the title changed (which involves a trip to the DMV with a receipt for the engine).

If a 'new' engine came out of a bike that was reported stolen, now the law has a way to bust the thief; if the engine number were never recorded, no one would ever know. Since the engine number is in DMV's records (and on my title and registration), if someone steals my bike, that engine is flagged, not just the frame. It's an easy provision to help bust bike thieves in the state with the most bikes and (probably) the most bike thieves.

Back on topic, like most states, Vermont DOES NOT record engine numbers.