User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #286
Brobbins87
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Cool2 A little confused????

A little confused and hope someone will answer this for me before I waste some money. I am looking at a 1998 Honda Shadow 600 with no title. The bike is 15 years old this year. Would I be able to get a Vermont registration on this bike or is it too new? Also would it require a Visual Vin Verification due to it being over 500cc's or am I misreading that. If a Vin Verification is required how would I get this done in a state that does not do Vin Verifications? (I'm in the wonderful state of New York) Any answers would be greatly appreciated. It's hopefully going to be my first bike and I really want it (it's even the color I have been looking for, lol) Thanks in advance to all that can help!

Brobbins87 screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 08:45 PM
Brobbins87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #287
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
I'm pretty sure you can do it since it is 15 years old, but you will need a VIN verification. I've heard that an insurance broker can do the verification, which would save trying to explain to the police why you need one. If you know and are on friendly terms with a cop, that might be another way to go.
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #288
Drummerbeej
n00b

How to not screw this up....

Folks! I'm getting ready to fill out my forms and send them off to Vermont so my freshly rebuilt xs650 and I can take to the roads. My question is - the forms I downloaded from the Vermont website have two pages to fill out, but most of the information is redundant from the first page. Do I need to fill the second page out? Or is just the main form?

My bike is a 650 so I do need to have the vin verified?

Does the bill of sale need to be notarized?

Thanks much!
Drummerbeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #289
sevenpointsixtwo
Newb Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerbeej View Post
Folks! I'm getting ready to fill out my forms and send them off to Vermont so my freshly rebuilt xs650 and I can take to the roads. My question is - the forms I downloaded from the Vermont website have two pages to fill out, but most of the information is redundant from the first page. Do I need to fill the second page out? Or is just the main form?

My bike is a 650 so I do need to have the vin verified?

Does the bill of sale need to be notarized?

Thanks much!
If you fill out the form digitally and print it out, the second page will auto-fill itself with the information. Otherwise, yes, fill out both. A 650 does need to be VIN checked; there is another form on the DMV website that refers to VIN verification. Take it to a local police station or DMV in your state to have that done. Bill of sale doesn't need to be notarized, but you do need a note or letter from the DMV/police in your state that states their authority and that the VIN is ok, and it does help to have that notarized (although not strictly necessary).

Hope that helps!

1998 Tiger 900
2000 DRZ400E
sevenpointsixtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #290
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
FYI.my local PD won't do a vin check. They say only DMV can do that.
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #291
Drummerbeej
n00b

Most excellent input gents! The forms are going out today!
Drummerbeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #292
Rocket Builder
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Everyone, thank you for the excellent and friendly information.

My local Ohio BMV office issued a title today based on my Vermont registration. The Vermont registration showed my Ohio address. The lady at the BMV was concerned about that so she called the Columbus BMV to verify the requirements. The lady at the Columbus BMV told her that it was okay to issue an Ohio title from a Vermont registration, even if the Vermont registration showed an Ohio address. Two minutes later I had an Ohio title!
Rocket Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #293
floyd76
n00b

Oddometer: 5
i have not got my sticker or permanent registration in yet. it has been 22 days.
how much longer do i wait? if it don't come in the mail. who do i talk to about this?
floyd76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:04 AM   #294
przjohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Thanks to the internet and Folks who just love to blab our beloved VT loophole is closing. They are already sending out VIN check requirements for further registrations. I beleive these are either random or because of non complying VIN numbers. How do I know this? Got one myself. 2 friends have also been recently served up these letters. Basically it is saying you need to bring the bike to either a State Police facility, DMV, or a state inspection station and send back the form or they will not reregister the vehicle. So don't be surprised to get a letter from VT DMV, even a couple years after registration. It was a good thing while it lasted. The KTM EXC is looking pretty good right now.
przjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #295
mort71
Apehangers

Oddometer: 51
I was told by a lady at the Notary office in P.A. a couples of months ago when we got a title, to take advantage of it now, because it probably would not last long.
2004 Harley Sporty
mort71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #296
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by mort71 View Post
I was told by a lady at the Notary office in P.A. a couples of months ago when we got a title, to take advantage of it now, because it probably would not last long.
Not likely. This trick has been around literally for decades. Vermont runs VINs through NCIC, so it's not like they're serving as a conduit for stolen vehicles.

Vermont (and other northern New England states) have never titled older vehicles, and they don't have any compelling reason to do so. Vermont's not the only state that will register vehicles to non-residents; I can name at least five more off the top of my head--they're just the only one that makes it easy by mail and doesn't title old vehicles.

Plus, I'm sure it's a good revenue stream for the state. There are definitely some registrations that have been issued carelessly (e.g. without or with improper VIN verifications) and the state is tracking them down and forcing them to be fixed. Vermont's DMV is run by humans like everywhere else, and they occasionally have to fix a mistake. Every state does that--California loves yanking registrations on plated dirt bikes that slipped through the cracks, for example (out-of-state bikes over 7500 miles still have to have EPA on-road emissions, but it's common for DMV clerks to see the odometer over 7500, check "Federal" on the form, and never look for the sticker; of three bikes I've brought in--all legal anyway--they only checked the sticker on one).

The bigger half of this trick that we don't talk about on here is that residents of states that have value-based excise taxes use states like Vermont that don't to beat the taxman. The excise bill on a new $50k car in Mass. is $1250. Even when that car is 10 years old, you'll still pay $125/yr in excise to your city or town. Ouch. Or you can register it in Vermont and take your chances with the local constabulary. Folks out West do the same thing by setting up Montana LLCs to buy their six-figure RVs so they don't have to pay sales tax or excise if their home state has excise. Ever wonder why you see so many Montana-plated RVs pulling Washington and California-plated cars? You can have someone set up the LLC for $500 and plate the RV for a couple hundred more. Sales tax alone in Seattle or San Francisco on a $100k RV is close to ten grand (plus $1150 VLF in California).

If this trick gets killed, it'll be because of tax-dodgers, not because of people with 15+ year old machines worth a couple grand at most who can't find their paperwork. No one is screwing the other states out of significant money by plating old bikes in Vermont for a year before switching to local docs. But I'm sure that the Vermont-plated Bentleys I saw in Boston didn't belong to real Vermonters...
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #297
mort71
Apehangers

Oddometer: 51
Laugh

Well lets hope for the best, there are too many NICE bikes out there that need a good home and a title.
2004 Harley Sporty
mort71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:06 AM   #298
apollo021
n00b

Oddometer: 1
help...

I stumbled upon this post by accadent but im glad i did.. Will this trick with vt work on an 06 suzuki katana 600.. I baught my first bike with no title my father told me it would be easy to get a title here in good ol michigan. However the law was recently changed making in nearly impossible to obtain a title.. Everything i read on here is for older smaller bikes.. Would this work with my katana or is my first bike a paperweight..
apollo021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #299
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 482
Read the Vermont DMV's instructions. They answer all your questions.

I made a Q&D guide up-thread.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #300
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo021 View Post
I stumbled upon this post by accadent but im glad i did.. Will this trick with vt work on an 06 suzuki katana 600.. I baught my first bike with no title my father told me it would be easy to get a title here in good ol michigan. However the law was recently changed making in nearly impossible to obtain a title.. Everything i read on here is for older smaller bikes.. Would this work with my katana or is my first bike a paperweight..
In short, no. Sorry. This only works for bikes that are under 300cc, over 15 years old, or both. Your '06 Katana is neither.

The reason this works at all is because those classifications of bikes do not require a title in Vermont. Your bike requires a title, even in Vermont.
All is not totally lost. You can get a title through a title service (which has nothing to do with Vermont); it just costs a lot more.
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote