ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #346
KPD
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 16
Cry I'm about to cry this is so great

Hello all, loving this thread. I joined just because of this thread. I'm about to do this VT Reg with a 1971 Honda CB100 I just bought. I have some questions so I know exactly what's going on when I mail the forms. Didn't seem to find exact answers anywhere, or maybe i missed them. Apologies if that is the case...

1. Bill of sale doesn't need to be notarized?
2. Bill of sale can be non-VT?
3. Any notification needed on the packaging what I'm mailing them, or just send a folder with everything in it to the VT DMV main address, including a check for the $44 + 6% of cost of bike?

My bike is both older than 15 yrs and under 300cc, so this should be easy right? All I need is a Bill of sale from any state, signed by the seller and me?

Thanks SO much, oh my god this is going to be amazing.

-Kyle
KPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:40 AM   #347
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
Oddometer: 278
My bill of sale wasn't notarized and was just a hand-written bill of sale from the state I live in (not VT). That should be all you need. One thing, though: the minimum taxable price is $500, so even if the sale price is $200 you will still have to pay $30 tax.
No notification needed on the package.
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #348
cool_sam
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Oddometer: 5
Wink It works!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
Hello all, loving this thread. I joined just because of this thread. I'm about to do this VT Reg with a 1971 Honda CB100 I just bought. I have some questions so I know exactly what's going on when I mail the forms. Didn't seem to find exact answers anywhere, or maybe i missed them. Apologies if that is the case...

1. Bill of sale doesn't need to be notarized? - that's true
2. Bill of sale can be non-VT? - that's true
3. Any notification needed on the packaging what I'm mailing them, or just send a folder with everything in it to the VT DMV main address, including a check for the $44 + 6% of cost of bike? - I have sent $88 + 6% of cost (make sure it is more than $500)
4. Forms from VT DMV website
5. Printed Pictures on regular A4 paper of VIN number + bike

My bike is both older than 15 yrs and under 300cc, so this should be easy right? All I need is a Bill of sale from any state, signed by the seller and me?

Thanks SO much, oh my god this is going to be amazing.

-Kyle

Thanks
Sam
cool_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #349
KPD
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 16
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_sam View Post
Thanks
Sam
Thank You!!
KPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #350
floyd76
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 5
hey guys i just want to let you know
my title came to day.
floyd76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #351
gmansyz
Adventurer
 
gmansyz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Huntersville, NC
Oddometer: 24
Wicked Newbie again

Okay, I got some confusion going on.
Though I am working the boring L1A1 and not an FAL.
I have a '78 GS750E neck with a signed but NOT notarized Indiana title. No bill of sale but may be able to come up with one.
Now, would I be able to get a title or is it too old? Or too big and I need the VIN verification? Okay, I understand on the taxes and declare $500.
I am confused on the site and can I do it with the title and no bill of sale or just make one up? Would I do a Vermont B.O.S.?
Then where to get the VIN verification form? In North Carolina I was not able to find something on our website. Though, I could easily have missed it. I could also try the local PD, but what if they start to wonder about just a steering neck coming in? It was for a special project. I would assume that just a foto of it would not be sufficient. I may also see and insurance agent as well.
I had a few other questions, but cannot remember them.
Thanks for this posting as I am seeing it is helping out a lot of us in some situations.
Laters
Greg
__________________
Katana Awaiting a Turbo Busa engine.
Reconsidering another DR350
gmansyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:26 AM   #352
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
Oddometer: 278
You will need a bill of sale (which can be hand written and does not need to be notarized) and a VIN verification.
Who cares what the local PD thinks about the steering neck; you are not registering it with them. All they need to do is verify that you have a particular VIN. If they balk, take it somewhere else.
__________________
'94 Sportster 1200
'84 XR500R
Junkyard Dog Franken-Trail 90
'72 XL250 (Project)
'74 Jialonda XL70/125
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #353
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!
 
Boatman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Petersburg, NY and Woodbridge, VA
Oddometer: 9,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmansyz View Post
Okay, I got some confusion going on.
Though I am working the boring L1A1 and not an FAL.
I have a '78 GS750E neck with a signed but NOT notarized Indiana title. No bill of sale but may be able to come up with one.
Now, would I be able to get a title or is it too old? Or too big and I need the VIN verification? Okay, I understand on the taxes and declare $500.
I am confused on the site and can I do it with the title and no bill of sale or just make one up? Would I do a Vermont B.O.S.?
Then where to get the VIN verification form? In North Carolina I was not able to find something on our website. Though, I could easily have missed it. I could also try the local PD, but what if they start to wonder about just a steering neck coming in? It was for a special project. I would assume that just a foto of it would not be sufficient. I may also see and insurance agent as well.
I had a few other questions, but cannot remember them.
Thanks for this posting as I am seeing it is helping out a lot of us in some situations.
Laters
Greg

Don't know about NC,,,, but in NY that steering neck is technically a felony. "Illegal possession of a VIN". The whole frame would be fine.
__________________
08 KTM 950 SE, 09 KTM 950 SE, 04 KTM 950 ADV, 10 Husaberg FE390, 66 Kawasaki B8S Super 150

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #354
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer
 
SpeedoJosh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Florida Panhandle
Oddometer: 775
So I read the original post, and didn't see it. How old does the bike have to be if it's over 300cc? Looking at an XR400 that doesn't have a title.


-Josh

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it. 15 y/o or under 300cc. Thanks

Looks like the 99 XR400 is just a year too new.
__________________
2000 XR250R - Tagged
2003 XR650R - Sold
2006 Ducati Monster -Sold
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #355
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
Oddometer: 278
15 years. XR400 ain't gonna fly though, without some kind of proof that it has been converted to street legal status.
__________________
'94 Sportster 1200
'84 XR500R
Junkyard Dog Franken-Trail 90
'72 XL250 (Project)
'74 Jialonda XL70/125
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #356
the_lost_sauce
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 2
Question no help in kansas

So I was super excited to go through this process for my 84 honda magna. But Kansas will not issue a vin inspection without a title. So I'm stuck in limbo. Can anybody help with steroids around this stupid requirement
the_lost_sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #357
pgt400
Adventurer
 
pgt400's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Princeton, NJ
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WECSOG View Post
My bill of sale wasn't notarized and was just a hand-written bill of sale from the state I live in (not VT). That should be all you need. One thing, though: the minimum taxable price is $500, so even if the sale price is $200 you will still have to pay $30 tax.
No notification needed on the package.
Their website says no minimum tax for motorcycles. Just 6% of KBB value.
pgt400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #358
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
Oddometer: 278
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure some people on this thread tried it under $500 and had their app returned. If you try it, let us know how it works out.
__________________
'94 Sportster 1200
'84 XR500R
Junkyard Dog Franken-Trail 90
'72 XL250 (Project)
'74 Jialonda XL70/125
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #359
pgt400
Adventurer
 
pgt400's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Princeton, NJ
Oddometer: 21
Last year I got vermont plates for my XR650R. They never mentioned off road problem? For Vin Varify I used local Yamaha dealer and had it notorized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WECSOG View Post
15 years. XR400 ain't gonna fly though, without some kind of proof that it has been converted to street legal status.

pgt400 screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 06:27 AM
pgt400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:21 AM   #360
pgt400
Adventurer
 
pgt400's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Princeton, NJ
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WECSOG View Post
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure some people on this thread tried it under $500 and had their app returned. If you try it, let us know how it works out.
Well after 6 days I checked my bank...didn't cash my check. Yesterday I got a letter back saying I had to pay more tax. Somehow they value a 1971 DT250 at $650!! Hell, they went for that new in 71'. Oh well, I sent them more $$. I paid $200 for it.
pgt400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014