Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #391
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamarocket630 View Post
Sorry if this has been answered already as I didn't read the whole thread, but has anyone tried this for transferring to a TN title and did you have any issues?
You find anyone with success?
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #392
pgt400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
You find anyone with success?
There won't be any issues...VT's reg is the TITLE...other states HAVE to accept it. I did 3 bikes in NJ....NJ is one of the NAZI DMV states!!
2012 FZ1
pgt400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #393
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgt400 View Post
...VT's reg is the TITLE...other states HAVE to accept it.

Not true,,,,, I know of 2 bikes with VT titles and NYS DMV says they will not accept them for registration NY.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #394
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
Not true,,,,, I know of 2 bikes with VT titles and NYS DMV says they will not accept them for registration NY.
Unfortunately you can talk with five different people with the state around here and get five different answers. Required to accept something from another state? I will believe it when I see it and then it still doesn't mean I can go to this window on this day and deal with a different person and not have issues.

If it works for you that's great but I want to hear about someone in this state, hence the question.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #395
pgt400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Bull, they didn't try hard enough. I had to have them ask a superviosr at the window. There arent many titleless states left....you have to help them a bit.

Quote:
2012 FZ1
pgt400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #396
cedew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Awesome thread, happy to see VT willing to take the funds and help people with legit bikes.

I'm curious to know how you guys think this would work out. I bought a basket case dirt bike that was last registered in here in California about 3 years ago. This thing changed hands several times and somewhere along the way the title was lost. Not only that, but there are back fees because nobody bothered to place it on non-op. Before I spend a bunch of money fixing it up, I'd like to know that I can register it and get a green sticker. So, if I were to register in VT and then back in CA, wouldn't they say "hey wait a second dude, we already have a bike with that VIN registered here; bring us the title and a check"..?
cedew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #397
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedew View Post
So, if I were to register in VT and then back in CA, wouldn't they say "hey wait a second dude, we already have a bike with that VIN registered here; bring us the title and a check"..?
So this (sorta) happened to me about 5 years ago. I bought a bike in Washington State. Two years later, I moved to California, where the bike had originally come from. The previous owner had forgotten to tell DMV that he and the bike left the state about four years before. Oops.

It took the clerk about 25 seconds to clear the vehicle record and give me a plate. You might have a little more fun convincing them since VT doesn't title, but vehicles coming in from out of state are treated as if they're new--in addition to the previous owner's fees disappearing, the VLF basis resets based on what you paid for it (on a vehicle that's never left CA, the VLF is based on what it cost new even if it's had seven owners). The registration cycle resets as well, with the registration now expiring on the date you reported that you first operated it in CA or the date you're at the DMV, whichever's earlier. Even if you somehow had the old plate, you get a new one. Note, of course, that if the fees are in your name this will not work.

However.... Vermont only registers street legal bikes, so you can't do anything about a bike that's not street legal (i.e. green/red sticker). You'd have to find a state that registers but does not title off-road bikes and does not require you to be a resident to do so. A lot of states don't register off-road bikes at all, and not every state that registers them titles them.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #398
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonny9 View Post
Gonna try this for a 2008 Chinese 49cc scooter. Was bought new in NC with no paperwork about 4 years ago. My uncle gave it to me with 117 miles on it and I brought it to South Florida. Florida wont register/title it without either an MSO or court order. Scooter is only worth $300 with a title.

Update: Got the plate in the mail and a temporary registration form. FYI the minimum tax amount is calculated at a $500 value no matter how little you paid. You can call Vermont DMV and they can look up the value for the tax amount. Only cost me $51 as it was under 50cc. Uncle is gonna send in for a couple bikes he has had for 20 years that he got from our cousin who has been dead for several years.
Did you ever title/tag this in FL?
I bought a $250 scooter there and it cost me almost $200 to get plates for it
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #399
cedew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
So this (sorta) happened to me about 5 years ago. I bought a bike in Washington State. Two years later, I moved to California, where the bike had originally come from. The previous owner had forgotten to tell DMV that he and the bike left the state about four years before. Oops.

It took the clerk about 25 seconds to clear the vehicle record and give me a plate. You might have a little more fun convincing them since VT doesn't title, but vehicles coming in from out of state are treated as if they're new--in addition to the previous owner's fees disappearing, the VLF basis resets based on what you paid for it (on a vehicle that's never left CA, the VLF is based on what it cost new even if it's had seven owners). The registration cycle resets as well, with the registration now expiring on the date you reported that you first operated it in CA or the date you're at the DMV, whichever's earlier. Even if you somehow had the old plate, you get a new one. Note, of course, that if the fees are in your name this will not work.

However.... Vermont only registers street legal bikes, so you can't do anything about a bike that's not street legal (i.e. green/red sticker). You'd have to find a state that registers but does not title off-road bikes and does not require you to be a resident to do so. A lot of states don't register off-road bikes at all, and not every state that registers them titles them.
Very interesting, and thanks a bunch for the reply. What I may try to do then, is send the paperwork to try and get a plate, then send a letter similar to the fellow with the Berg when they kick it back, then surrender the plates for a green sticker when I register in California...assuming I'm lucky enough to get that far. Or...just wait for a CA titled frame to pop up on fleabay and swap everything over.
cedew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #400
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgt400 View Post
Bull, they didn't try hard enough. I had to have them ask a superviosr at the window. There arent many titleless states left....you have to help them a bit.
Ummm,,, yeah right.

In our local DMV office the County Clerk is often at one of the windows. He is exceptional in that he is there to help people get things done and not make it tougher for them. Both of these bikes were run through him and after making some to calls to try to get it done (not just prove himself to be correct) it wasn't possible. Both bikes were originally off road only bikes made street legal and registered in VT. One has a title, the other a transferrable registration. Once the VIN were checked in the system to be off road,,,,, the DMV didn't care what paperwork they had.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #401
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
Quote:
Ummm,,, yeah right.

In our local DMV office the County Clerk is often at one of the windows. He is exceptional in that he is there to help people get things done and not make it tougher for them. Both of these bikes were run through him and after making some to calls to try to get it done (not just prove himself to be correct) it wasn't possible. Both bikes were originally off road only bikes made street legal and registered in VT. One has a title, the other a transferrable registration. Once the VIN were checked in the system to be off road,,,,, the DMV didn't care what paperwork they had.
My thoughts too. In MD I had the toughest time getting legit bikes plated. Always needed another new form or something. Ask for a Supervisor? Yeah, they will come over and tell you to fill out yet another form.

In WI registration is pretty easy. I don't miss MD for that.
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #402
Baroquenride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Ummm,,, yeah right.

Ok, now we're getting to the truth. You're comparing apples to orangutans. Not apples to apples. We're talking streetbikes here-not dirtbikes that in many states play by a different set of rules.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #403
Marylander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
My thoughts too. In MD I had the toughest time getting legit bikes plated. Always needed another new form or something. Ask for a Supervisor? Yeah, they will come over and tell you to fill out yet another form.

In WI registration is pretty easy. I don't miss MD for that.
Maryland is definitely hit or miss depending on how knowledgeable the clerk, or even supervisor, is. If you hit a wall at one MVA just go to another. ;)
Marylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #404
hockeymutt
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Any one with old Honda Ct70 s did you guys put the old engine cc or the one you guys upgraded to the 125cc? Right now trying to figure out if on my 50cc I need to put the old cc or put the new 125cc so that they don't think it's a moped? I'm trying to register as a motorcycle it's a 79 so the vin is only 7 digits and it's a Puch.. Tht nada doesn't give a value for.. So VT said to put 500 down on the price...

Just don't want them to try to say the cc is wrong or do you think they'll have no idea?
hockeymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #405
theproblem
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Talking thank jesus

do you know how hard it is to find a cb100 frame thats in good condition with a title? very, this saved me 2 more months of daily looking
theproblem is offline   Reply With Quote