ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #451
MVBrutaleRider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 38
just a question on this. I am planning on doing this technique on a bike I have found... the question, however, is this:

The bike is a 95. The owner filed for BK in 97 and the lender on the bike chose to write-off the bike instead of taking possession. He supposedly has a letter or something from the lender.

Does this mean if I try the VT registration route, that I will get my paper work back because of a possible lien against it still? shouldn't be after 17 years I would presume. I have never dealt with a situation like this before.

Any insight would be great on the title issue.

Thanks
- Justin
__________________
Currently:
2002 Honda RC51 / 1984 Honda V65 Magna / 2006 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja
1984 Yamaha IT490/YZ490/97 YZ250 Hybrid / 2006 Baja SSR200
MVBrutaleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #452
wardie
2 Wheel Power Hour
 
wardie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Oddometer: 198
Vermont Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie View Post
I said I would follow up when I heard something from Vermont DMV. They sent my paperwork back because I did not include enough tax. It looks like when I resend the check it will be good to go. Sending everything out Monday.

I got my Vermont plate and a temporary registration . The Temporary registration said I would receive new one in mail in less than 10 days. There ya go plated XR 250 R.


__________________
Wardie
wardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #453
wardie
2 Wheel Power Hour
 
wardie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Oddometer: 198
Lien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVBrutaleRider View Post
just a question on this. I am planning on doing this technique on a bike I have found... the question, however, is this:

The bike is a 95. The owner filed for BK in 97 and the lender on the bike chose to write-off the bike instead of taking possession. He supposedly has a letter or something from the lender.

Does this mean if I try the VT registration route, that I will get my paper work back because of a possible lien against it still? shouldn't be after 17 years I would presume. I have never dealt with a situation like this before.

Any insight would be great on the title issue.

Thanks
- Justin
The lien is there until the lien holder removes it. This is an official document you have to physically go to court house and sign papers removing the lien. It definitely doesn't go away or disappear. What do you to lose by following through sending in paperwork? Worse case they send it back with formal note telling you the property is liened.
__________________
Wardie

wardie screwed with this post 02-15-2014 at 06:01 PM Reason: spelling
wardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:13 AM   #454
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer
 
SilkMoneyLove's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie View Post
What do you to lose by following through sending in paperwork? Worse case they send it back with formal note telling you the property is liened.

I agree that you should try it. Back in 95-97 everything was still paper with just a basic database to keep records. It is very likely this has fallen off the radar and will come back clean. Original lien holder might not even be in business anymore.
If this were a 2005 I would say you would be out of luck, but a 95 I would give a shot.
Good luck!
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #455
9secondsflat
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: RI
Oddometer: 252
subscribed
9secondsflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #456
9secondsflat
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: RI
Oddometer: 252
....

9secondsflat screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 09:47 AM
9secondsflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:04 AM   #457
greg2015
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Oddometer: 13
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollybro View Post
Here's my situation:

I live in FL. I had a title, but it was lost before I registered the bike, which is a 1981 CB750C. I have tried contacting the previous owners for a Bill of Sale (they moved), but I have a friend that said he'd draw one up for me if they couldn't.

Now, will this VT trick work in my case? What all do I need? Thanks and sorry in advance.
Hi all,
I'm down here in sweaty Fl (apologies to people in blizzards), just sent VT my $74 ($44 reg fee, $30 tax fee 6% of the minimum $500 purchase price) for an attempted Fl title on a Yammy 1978 DT250. Will post back with my success/failure... :)

Also, just to clarify, and forgive me if this has mentioned, but the overall goal here is to obtain a title, so the plan of attack is to walk in the FL DMV with my VT registration/tag and surrender it for a FL title?? If so, the reason they would concur to do this is because VT doesn't title bikes under 300 cc's?? Am I understanding the whole process correctly? Has anyone here successfully obtained a FL title here?

Thanks in advance.
Greg

greg2015 screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 11:43 AM
greg2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #458
stonny9
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: pembroke pines, fl
Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondsflat View Post
question,
purchased a 150cc scooter from first owner who paid cash from the dealer and received a certificate of origin - state sales tax was paid. the seller has moved and i cant track him down now, dealer will not provide me any paperwork saying against the law.


scooter is a 2009, never registered so no title ever issued. can i get it registered/plate in VT using this process and then transfer the reg to my home state and get a title?
I would say it should work. I sent in for a 2005 50cc scooter a few months ago with no problem. I had zero paperwork from purchase as non was given to me when bought new by a family member from a country gas station. It was from NC who keeps no records on 50cc and a tag isnt required. I just made uoba bill of sale and had local police fill out my state inspection for vin inspection.
stonny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #459
greg2015
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonny9 View Post
I would say it should work. I sent in for a 2005 50cc scooter a few months ago with no problem. I had zero paperwork from purchase as non was given to me when bought new by a family member from a country gas station. It was from NC who keeps no records on 50cc and a tag isnt required. I just made uoba bill of sale and had local police fill out my state inspection for vin inspection.
stonny, I see you're from Fl, have you successfully obtained a title for anything? Or just a transferred registration?
If so, what did you have in your hands when you got title?
greg2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #460
stonny9
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: pembroke pines, fl
Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2015 View Post
stonny, I see you're from Fl, have you successfully obtained a title for anything? Or just a transferred registration?
If so, what did you have in your hands when you got title?

My scooter is 50cc so all I received in the mail was temp registration and tag then a couple weeks later the paper registration. VT does not issue titles for 50cc. I am unsure of other sizes bikes/scooters.

I have not tried to transfer anything to florida as my registration was paid for a year so I am just riding it out. I may have gotten a refund but didnt want to waste it if I didnt or cause any poss flags by transferring it so quick. But I dont foresee any real problem but I will bring the VT rules for ownership when I go as before I went the VT reg route I got the run around about no paperwork even though I got it from NC and they keep/require zero records.

I will be sure to post my results in 5 months when my reg runs out.
stonny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:15 AM   #461
greg2015
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonny9 View Post
My scooter is 50cc so all I received in the mail was temp registration and tag then a couple weeks later the paper registration. VT does not issue titles for 50cc. I am unsure of other sizes bikes/scooters.

I have not tried to transfer anything to florida as my registration was paid for a year so I am just riding it out. I may have gotten a refund but didnt want to waste it if I didnt or cause any poss flags by transferring it so quick. But I dont foresee any real problem but I will bring the VT rules for ownership when I go as before I went the VT reg route I got the run around about no paperwork even though I got it from NC and they keep/require zero records.

I will be sure to post my results in 5 months when my reg runs out.
Great idea by bringing the VT rules for ownership, I was also handed that same run around when I walked into FL DMV with only a bill of sale, hence why I'm here now. VT does not title anything under 300cc, so I'm guessing when I explain that to FL DMV that will be my leverage to obtain a title...??
greg2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #462
stonny9
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: pembroke pines, fl
Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2015 View Post
Great idea by bringing the VT rules for ownership, I was also handed that same run around when I walked into FL DMV with only a bill of sale, hence why I'm here now. VT does not title anything under 300cc, so I'm guessing when I explain that to FL DMV that will be my leverage to obtain a title...??
I went to the FL DMV 3 times before I gave up.They kept telling me to bring back different paperwork. I even showed them the NC DOT laws. FL DMV finally told me I would need a court order. For a $300 scooter if it actually had a title it wasnt worth it so I gave VT my business.
stonny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:32 AM   #463
greg2015
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonny9 View Post
I went to the FL DMV 3 times before I gave up.They kept telling me to bring back different paperwork. I even showed them the NC DOT laws. FL DMV finally told me I would need a court order. For a $300 scooter if it actually had a title it wasnt worth it so I gave VT my business.
Lol, I was also told to get a court order.. For a bike I paid $300 for!!?? Sure.. I think it would be safe to say that you could walk in there with a document signed by President Obama and still leave empty handed... Thanks to VT and this thread
greg2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #464
illenium
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Oddometer: 1
Hi Guys, I have followed this thread for about two years now, I have several old bikes that had never been titled so this is really good info here. Luckily, all the 50 to 150 cc ones i was able to cover with MD's new scooter law in 2012

Anyhow, I bought a 2004 300 EXC from some folks in PA around November with the intend to register it in MD. Got notarized bill of sale, did vin check etc... . Bike was never registered in another state or titled (per vin check and 2nd owner who sold it to me, he bought it from original owner NY).

Problem is, MVA wants the MSO, well i'm not going to get that since this is long lost by the previous owners.

So long story short, i have to go the vermont option, however the goal is to get a title for MD down the road.

Should it try to register the bike as 297ccm (the true displacement) or as 300 ccm (what its called) ? Some posts say VT doesnt issue titles for under 300 CCM, but i couldn't verify that on the DMV website. Also, I think the EXC's came streetlegal with a vin that reflects that, does this change anything on the process?

illenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #465
stonny9
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: pembroke pines, fl
Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by illenium View Post
Hi Guys, I have followed this thread for about two years now, I have several old bikes that had never been titled so this is really good info here. Luckily, all the 50 to 150 cc ones i was able to cover with MD's new scooter law in 2012

Anyhow, I bought a 2004 300 EXC from some folks in PA around November with the intend to register it in MD. Got notarized bill of sale, did vin check etc... . Bike was never registered in another state or titled (per vin check and 2nd owner who sold it to me, he bought it from original owner NY).

Problem is, MVA wants the MSO, well i'm not going to get that since this is long lost by the previous owners.

So long story short, i have to go the vermont option, however the goal is to get a title for MD down the road.

Should it try to register the bike as 297ccm (the true displacement) or as 300 ccm (what its called) ? Some posts say VT doesnt issue titles for under 300 CCM, but i couldn't verify that on the DMV website. Also, I think the EXC's came streetlegal with a vin that reflects that, does this change anything on the process?


I got a 50cc VT registration and am going for a FL Title transfer in about 5 months. I would register it under the true displacement as that is what it would have originally been registered as. I suppose VT can run the vin and see what it should be. There "shouldnt" be a problem transfering just hand your state the registration and they give you a title.
stonny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014