Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #526
outlaws justice
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycsv View Post
I'm thinking of getting an off-road bike from the 70's and putting lights and stuff on it to make it pass inspection for street use. The thing is, I live in NYC, one of the hardest places in the country to get an off-road bike made street legal, some would say impossible.

I'm wondering if I can go through VT DMV if the bike is old enough that the VIN wouldn't show up as an off-road vehicle. How far back do their records go? This would open up a WORLD of possibilities to me as far as what I could get...
Just do it, My 1980 Suzuki was designed as street legal, but it was way before 17 diget vin numbers.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #527
n9viw
Seeker

Oddometer: 16
DFW, you were mislead, or whoever you spoke to there was mistaken. I just got off the phone with Alan at the VT-DMV, and he informed me that ALL motorcycles over 500ccs MUST have a VIN Verification done. And OJ, the 17-digit VIN code was introduced in 1981, but he didn't make that stipulation, as he said my '76 CB550 would have to have it done as well.

Also during that phone call, he answered my questions above:
1) Form VT-119, section 4B: Unless you specifically want to include your spouse as a receiver for the rites of survivorship (should you pass before re-registering your bike in your home state), you can leave this alone. He/She will be included in the 'Joint Tenant' coverage should you not make a selection.
2) VT-119, section 6A, "Net Taxable Cost" can be left blank.
3) EITHER form VT-010 (VIN verification) or section 7 of form VT-119 (title, plate, reg form) can be used, but MUST be filled in by the person doing the verification (i.e., NOT YOU).
4) No supporting VIN Check information need be provided, as they will do their own VIN check.
5) Acceptable sites for this are your local PD, state police, DMV, a VERMONT motorcycle dealer, or a VERMONT vehicle inspector. So, a non-Vermont inspector will not suffice.
6) Form VT-119, section 9, UNSHADED FIELDS ONLY: Enter "$44" for Registration, "$30" for tax (unless yours is higher, based on purchase price), nothing for title, transfer, or fuel user, and the total of your registration and tax values for Total Fees.

Okay, now to find a DMV that won't ask silly questions when I present them the VT-119 form to fill out...

n9viw screwed with this post 04-25-2014 at 10:24 AM
n9viw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #528
outlaws justice
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by n9viw View Post
And OJ, the 17-digit VIN code was introduced in 1981, but he didn't make that stipulation, as he said my '76 CB550 would have to have it done as well.
I was answering the question for a 70's vintage dirt bike, so it would be under 500cc and would not have a vin. designation for on or off road as those were not part of the vin. from the 70's and he would not require a mileage or vin verification
Old 04-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #529
n9viw
Seeker

Ah, I see! Makes more sense now.

Just got back from town, and decided to lay it out for the gals at the DMV. Told em I had a bike with no title, and no idea if the PO had died or moved or what. They told me they get this a LOT, and it's really very simple. Good, I like simple.

First, I have to go to the county courthouse and get a Petition to Acquire Vehicle Title. I take that, fill it out, get it notarized, then get an inspection on the bike. I take the inspection report, the petition, and the bill of sale back to the court, and submit it to the court for a declaratory judgment to override the previous title. The clerk submits it to the judge, who reviews the case and (generally) issues a decision on the spot (I say 'generally' because sometimes there's an issue of contested property, but that's usually when property is listed as stolen).

I then take a copy of the judgment, the inspection report, the bill of sale, AND proof of insurance to the DMV, which takes all that paper and wads it up and crams it into a computer. About 4-6 weeks later, plates and reg come in the mail, followed by the title.

So that's $10 for the judgment, $12 for the inspection, $15.68 for sales tax (based on selling price of the bike), and $11 for the title processing, grand total a whopping $48.68. I think I'm going to try for it, and if it flops, I'll try the Vermont Route.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #530
winta
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by winta View Post
just got my plate in the mail , 11 days after mailing it!!!
Waiting for the registration and sticker now.
Enormous Thanks to you guys, i would have sold the bike if it weren't for this thread.

will keep updated on title attempt, for now i have 30 days of riding to do
received sticker and registration today...only thing left to do is visit the local dmv
definitely not in a hurry
winta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #531
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 354
I have not tried the Vermont program since I could find no one in the state of TN that had successfully received a TN title via this route. IMO there are simply too many variables right now for me and my situation with this bike.

I decided to go through the State of TN DOT Certificate of Ownership program in order to obtain a title and am nearing the end. Unless an unforeseen problem pops up I should have a title by the end of this week.

AFAIK the down side to this program is its limited to vehicles of less than $3,000.00 in value or 30 years old, minimum. That would put us in the 80's so I guess there is something good about old age.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #532
jmp5us
MY DUDE!

Oddometer: 23
1988 electraglide, for sale in a neighboring state to me has caught my attention.

Vin has been run and it is not stolen.

there is no title but the guy will give me a bill of sale.

the story is that his brother passed away it was his bike, but no one knows where the title is.

Is there any reason this vermont tagging deal would not work? what do i need to make sure i get from this guy?
jmp5us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #533
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp5us View Post
1988 electraglide, for sale in a neighboring state to me has caught my attention.

Vin has been run and it is not stolen.

there is no title but the guy will give me a bill of sale.

the story is that his brother passed away it was his bike, but no one knows where the title is.

Is there any reason this vermont tagging deal would not work? what do i need to make sure i get from this guy?

They can take the death certificate to the DMV and get a title..... easy peasy. Every state will be a bit different in this respect but it happens all the time.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #534
Tanshanomi
Your Favorite Uncle

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
They can take the death certificate to the DMV and get a title..... easy peasy. Every state will be a bit different in this respect but it happens all the time.
Agreed. There's a difference between "we don't know where the title document is" and "we don't know who the title holder is."
Old 04-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #535
01XVS
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Will this work for a 2001 v star in nebraska?
01XVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #536
jmp5us
MY DUDE!

well say worse comes to worse and its " we don't know who the title holder is" but the vin is not coming back stolen?

it seems to me that they just want the bike " out of sight, out of mind"
Old 04-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #537
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp5us View Post
well say worse comes to worse and its " we don't know who the title holder is" but the vin is not coming back stolen?

it seems to me that they just want the bike " out of sight, out of mind"
A check with the DMV should be able to tell you the last titled owner. Might cost a couple bucks. Maybe the person isn't deceased after all.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #538
n9viw
Seeker

I was informed by a MO DOR secretary that I needed to use DOR form 5091 to get the PO's info. Filing that form cost me $5.88, plus $1 because I charged it to my debit card instead of sending a check. Using form 5091 included the stipulation that I 'never' use the information to contact the previous owner. Really? Then why did you TELL me to use this form?! It's just as well, I never heard anything back.

Your state may have a similar stipulation; whether or not you choose to obey by the letter of the law is up to you. That's freedom, isn't it? ;) As for the deceased rider, I'd tell the sellers that you'd pay to have a duplicate title created ('death title'!) plus a little for their time; their reaction will tell you everything you ought to know. If they balk, I'd walk.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #539
jmp5us
MY DUDE!

so basically what you guys are getting at is if they will not spend some time at the dmv with me i should not buy and go the Vermont route?

There has got to be a way with a notarized bill of sale, death Cert. and record of a clean title to get this thing registered and titled in my name.

I would typically not be reaching this hard, but at this price its hard not to.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #540
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Maybe just me,,,,, but something sounds fishy to me. Do you know these people? Lets say you aquire the bike and get it registered in VT (no title over 15 years). Now Billy Bob comes out of the wood work looking for his bike and has his paperwork, gets pissy and reports it stolen. Whatchya gonna do then?

For me,,,, in this situation I would push for a duplicate title with a death certificate.