Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #586
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp5us View Post
went back the other day... new cop...

In my experiences i have come to realize while in court, or with cops, the truth does not set you free. plead the fifth, keep your silence and it always works out better...

in and out in 15 minutes with my vin verification.
I'm also near Frederick and am thinking about doing this for an old enduro bike. What station did you go to for the VIN check and what did you tell them / what paperwork did you bring? Thanks!
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #587
BobCraig10
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Still waiting

I had sent my application, vin verification, money order in for the amount they told me to when I called to check the tax amount. a week later they send my paperwork back saying that what I sent them was $2.10 short. I received the paperwork back on Saturday, and Immediately overnighted everything back with another money order for the $2.10 they said I was short, with another overnight prepaid envelope for them to sent the tag back. It was received, signed for by them Monday 6/2 at 6:27 am and still nothing yet, it doesn't show in their system, nor am I showing return tracking yet. I know I'm being impatient, but I want to ride!!!!
BobCraig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #588
StuntmanVP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I called the general VT DMV number and kept getting a busy signal for a while. So I started calling the branches individually and got busy signals on the first couple. Finally, got through to this one: Bennington Branch Office 802-447-2756. I pushed the appropriate numbers at the prompts for registration information help. The last prompt is what got me weirded out. They say that my call would be answered by an inmate at the correctional facility and would be monitored and recorded. If I didn't wish to speak with an inmate, press 1 . I then pressed 1 . I spoke with someone (who sounded like an inmate ), got my necessary information, and then hung up. Forgot to ask about something but didn't want to call the same branch for obvious reasons. Busy busy busy Called all the other branches randomly until I finally got through to the S. Burlington Branch Office 802-863-7292 after about half an hour. No inmate prompt . After being on hold for a short while, the Montpelier branch picked up the line. I asked about the tax for the motorcycle that I had valued at $410 as per NADA (I actually got the bike for free). I was told that there is a minimum tax fee of $30. 6% of $410 is $24.60 so it's not way off and not something to complain about. Also, my registration form has a $5 warranty fee preprinted in box 9 which I was told to ignore and leave out of the total. I originally calculated that into my total so in essence, my total only went up by $0.40 Just a heads up for anyone who is sending out a payment without calling first. I'm sending payment out today and will keep everyone posted as to what happens.
StuntmanVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #589
mort71
Apehangers

Oddometer: 51
Bought a 1976 Harley Davidson SS-125 with 953 miles on it for $200 dollars out of a barn, with no title, on purpose, in Pennsylvania just to try out the Vermont DMV, filled out the paperwork, mailed my check, two weeks later got my plate and temporary registration in the mail, once I get my permanent registration I will be able to get a title for it in Pennsylvania. It works !!!
2004 Harley Sporty
mort71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #590
MopedsArentACrime
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mort71 View Post
Bought a 1976 Harley Davidson SS-125 with 953 miles on it for $200 dollars out of a barn, with no title, on purpose, in Pennsylvania just to try out the Vermont DMV, filled out the paperwork, mailed my check, two weeks later got my plate and temporary registration in the mail, once I get my permanent registration I will be able to get a title for it in Pennsylvania. It works !!!
Mort71, did you have to do the Visual VIN Verification? I'm trying to do this for an old Yamaha QT50 moped I have and just want to see whether or not I actually have to do that.

Also, mind me asking what it cost to get the registration??
MopedsArentACrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #591
Roland3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuntmanVP View Post
I joined because of this thread. I see a lot of Vermont registrations here in NY. Now I know why.
OR it could be that vermont borders a good section of NY?

also I am a failure at this, i attempted the vermont thing for my xt350 1997, all i needed was the vin inspecton but the cops would not do it, one actually accused me of trying to get a title for the bike,( idiot) however, i was able to track down the original owner and he was annoyed the kid he sold it to didnt take care of the bike or paperwork, he went online and paid to have a duplicate title mailed to him and mailed it to me, he wouldnt even take money for the cost. I am now on he road in NY

Roland3 screwed with this post 06-10-2014 at 08:43 PM
Roland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #592
BobCraig10
n00b

Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCraig10 View Post
I had sent my application, vin verification, money order in for the amount they told me to when I called to check the tax amount. a week later they send my paperwork back saying that what I sent them was $2.10 short. I received the paperwork back on Saturday, and Immediately overnighted everything back with another money order for the $2.10 they said I was short, with another overnight prepaid envelope for them to sent the tag back. It was received, signed for by them Monday 6/2 at 6:27 am and still nothing yet, it doesn't show in their system, nor am I showing return tracking yet. I know I'm being impatient, but I want to ride!!!!
Update:
My money order shows presented, but no tracking showing on the overnight envelope I sent in for them to send my tag to me, So I Called them.
Apparently, if you send in an overnight envelope for them to send your tag back in, they hold onto the tag until the permanent reg, and sticker are ready, and send it all at the same time. So it turns out, I bit myself in the ass sending the overnight return envelope, and it takes longer that way!
BobCraig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #593
mort71
Apehangers

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MopedsArentACrime View Post
Mort71, did you have to do the Visual VIN Verification? I'm trying to do this for an old Yamaha QT50 moped I have and just want to see whether or not I actually have to do that.

Also, mind me asking what it cost to get the registration??
I did not need a vin verification because the bike was under 300 cc's and I paid $88.00 dollars total, look up page #158 der saeufer gives all the Vermont DMV's instructions, easy info on everything, I printed it out and saved it for later use, and the Vermont DMV will help you over the phone. Good Luck.
2004 Harley Sporty

mort71 screwed with this post 06-11-2014 at 11:28 AM
mort71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #594
herman7196
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuntmanVP View Post
I joined because of this thread. I see a lot of Vermont registrations here in NY. Now I know why.
Wow the member (D0N) who started this thread, really deserves a pat on the back. He's helped literally 100's maybe 1000's of people get their motorcycles street legal again. Whatever happened to him?
herman7196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:03 AM   #595
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by herman7196 View Post
Wow the member (D0N) who started this thread, really deserves a pat on the back. He's helped literally 100's maybe 1000's of people get their motorcycles street legal again. Whatever happened to him?
This put the cake in the oven:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post16748992

This probably was the icing on the cake:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1061
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #596
Turborob
Minimalist.

Oddometer: 578
I understand that you do not need to be a resident of VT to register a vehicle there. But, can anyone clarify if you need to be an American citizen?

Thanks, an Aussie hoping to 'fly & ride'.

All RRs
Turborob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:59 AM   #597
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborob View Post
I understand that you do not need to be a resident of VT to register a vehicle there. But, can anyone clarify if you need to be an American citizen?

Thanks, an Aussie hoping to 'fly & ride'.
I'm pretty sure you don't need to be a US citizen. They might want you to have a US address though. The address of a friend who is willing to receive mail for you would probably suffice.
'74 Jialonda XL70/125
www.possumliving.com
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #598
StuntmanVP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Just an update - I mailed out my application and fee 2 days ago. Now the waiting game...
StuntmanVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #599
c140flyer
n00b

I'm in Massachusetts. Here anything over 50cc requires a title. I have a 150cc scooter that I bought with a bill of sale and a certificate of origin. Big mistake. I assumed the C.o.O would be enough. I'd like to try the VT trick, but do I need an address of someone in VT? I'm hoping that I can change it over to Mass later, but VT won't title it because it's under 300cc. I can ride with a VT plate, but with no insurance, it wouldn't be cool getting pulled over...
c140flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #600
MSW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Another satisfied customer of the fine state of Vermont. The plate and registration for my 2001 Aprilia Scarabeo 50 scooter arrived this week. Now, to get the Pennsylvania DMV to transfer it smoothly...
MSW is offline   Reply With Quote