Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #646
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Sent my stuff in to Vermont for my '82 XT 250 on March 31st.

Nothing yet. Tomorrow maybe….

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Woo Hooo!!

This my friends is a Colorado license plate.
The title will be here in two weeks.

Colorado title arrived!

tkent02 screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 12:54 PM
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #647
Remo723
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Everything about buying a scooter with no title has turned into a mess. I was able to get it tagged in Vermont. Today I took it to my county to get it tagged here, first I had to show them their own rules. A moped doesn't need a vin inspection if it's out of state or has insurance. So both of those would work on this scooter, after their 10 minute hunt to see if that was right (it was) they typed in the vin, only to find it had been previously registered in KS. I expected that, but apparently the stupid thing has a lein on it. Either VT didn't catch that or just didn't care. So I still can't legally title it. I now have to attempt to find the last owner and see if he has a lein release, or can get one. If he never paid it off I'm not sure what I'm going to do next.

I had done multiple online VIN searches, and never found anything about the bike. Any advice out there?

If you are wondering I bought the moped from a guy that owns a storage shed business. He took it as a trade from someone who hadn't paid their bills. It wasn't running, so he repaired it, and just used it to joy ride on dirt roads and a little around a very small city. He never tagged it or anything and said it had no title and didn't need to be tagged or registered. I'm not sure where he got his info was because he was wrong. Maybe the guy that traded it to him told him that because of the lein. So he never got any type of lein on it to transfer ownership to himself. Now I get to try to sort the whole mess out, and who knows I may be out the $450 I paid for it in the first place.
I can't legally ride it in ks with VT tags either, because they have a 60 day rules, unless it's special circumstances (like still a resident of the other state).
Remo723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #648
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Can the guy you bought it from put a shop lien on it? I think he gets full title after 30 days or something like that.

Another thought: the police don't know if you are a part-time resident of VT or not, unless you tell them. I'm not saying lie to them; I don't. I just practice selective hearing when dealing with them. They ask lots of questions that you are under no obligation to answer.
'74 Jialonda XL70/125
www.possumliving.com
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:06 AM   #649
the schwartz
Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
I'd call around to the DMVs and see what they say. I've had no trouble getting DMV people to walk out and verify VIN numbers.
stopped by the local NJ DMV last week.
"Can I get a VIN verification form?"
"Go ask the front desk."
"And how does that work? I'll come back later with the bike and the form filled out, and you come look at the bike, verify that it's the right VIN and sign it?"
"What? No, we don't do that, what do you need that for?"
"I have an issue with the title."
"We won't touch it. Talk to (Special Investigations?)"

Anyhoo...
I have the feeling that whatever form she thought I was asking for was more of a VIN check form and that NJ doesn't do VIN verifications at all. If anyone knows different, please let me know.
1978 Suzuki GS 1000 (perma project)
the schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #650
Remo723
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by WECSOG View Post
Can the guy you bought it from put a shop lien on it? I think he gets full title after 30 days or something like that.

Another thought: the police don't know if you are a part-time resident of VT or not, unless you tell them. I'm not saying lie to them; I don't. I just practice selective hearing when dealing with them. They ask lots of questions that you are under no obligation to answer.
But if he would do that, wouldn't the other lien still be there? I have no idea how all that works.

The problem with the cops is its a really small town, one lives directly behind me, and I work for the city. So with my job I am often parked in front of city buildings, and have to go past the PD any time I work. It wouldn't be very long before I was questioned about my tags.

Anyone know how to find out who holds the lien? If I can get that I might be able to bypass trying to hunt this guy down.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #651
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo723 View Post
But if he would do that, wouldn't the other lien still be there? I have no idea how all that works.

The problem with the cops is its a really small town, one lives directly behind me, and I work for the city. So with my job I am often parked in front of city buildings, and have to go past the PD any time I work. It wouldn't be very long before I was questioned about my tags.

Anyone know how to find out who holds the lien? If I can get that I might be able to bypass trying to hunt this guy down.
Yeah, in your case you wouldn't be able to ride to work on a regular basis.

My understanding of the shop lien is that anyone with an existing lien has to come forward within a certain time, otherwise the shop owner gets full title. My understanding may be flawed, though.

ETA: I just did some reading, and found that existing lien holders have to be notified via registered mail prior to a shop lien sale.
Did DMV tell you who holds the lien? It seems like they would provide that information, since they are using it as a basis for refusing registration.
Your best bet would probably be to contact the lienholder and find out how much the lien is for. Then make an offer.
Say the lien is for $1,000. They might be willing to release the lien for $50, or maybe they will make a counter offer. I have settled liens this way before, for pennies on the dollar.
'74 Jialonda XL70/125
www.possumliving.com

WECSOG screwed with this post 07-24-2014 at 01:38 PM
Old 07-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #652
Who8myrice
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Does the seller on the Bill of Sale need to be the same as the name on the current (but lost or ruined) title?
Who8myrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #653
Remo723
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by WECSOG View Post
Yeah, in your case you wouldn't be able to ride to work on a regular basis.

My understanding of the shop lien is that anyone with an existing lien has to come forward within a certain time, otherwise the shop owner gets full title. My understanding may be flawed, though.

ETA: I just did some reading, and found that existing lien holders have to be notified via registered mail prior to a shop lien sale.
Did DMV tell you who holds the lien? It seems like they would provide that information, since they are using it as a basis for refusing registration.
Your best bet would probably be to contact the lienholder and find out how much the lien is for. Then make an offer.
Say the lien is for $1,000. They might be willing to release the lien for $50, or maybe they will make a counter offer. I have settled liens this way before, for pennies on the dollar.
My husband thinks we should go to the address that the guy we bought it from had for the guy who's name in on the title. I don't know how useful that will be, we have to hope we catch him at home (and of course he's not local). I did find him on Facebook and sent a message, but no response still. So I guess will drive over there some time this weekend, and hope we luck out. If not I'll be calling the county on Monday and trying to get the lein holder name. What a PITA.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #654
Remo723
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who8myrice View Post
Does the seller on the Bill of Sale need to be the same as the name on the current (but lost or ruined) title?
No not to register it in Vermont.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #655
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo723 View Post
My husband thinks we should go to the address that the guy we bought it from had for the guy who's name in on the title. I don't know how useful that will be, we have to hope we catch him at home (and of course he's not local). I did find him on Facebook and sent a message, but no response still. So I guess will drive over there some time this weekend, and hope we luck out. If not I'll be calling the county on Monday and trying to get the lein holder name. What a PITA.
Yeah, they don't make it easy. Good luck with it.
'74 Jialonda XL70/125
www.possumliving.com
Old 08-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #656
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 442
I now have a tag and title on the EX250F in my name. I used the below process and never went outside the State of TN. Note the women in the clerk's office scrutinized my documentation very closely and sent me packing on the first visit since I did not have everything exactly as they wanted. Once I had that squared away they gladly processed it and the state issued a title in about two weeks.

The clerk's office said this type of thing happens routinely with motorcycles in this state. While I have never used an out of state service to obtain a title I can only recommend TN residents try the certification of ownership route before going a different route.

Total costs to me less time was less than $75.00. That included taxes, title and registration.

http://www.tn.gov/revenue/forms/titl...401Fill-in.pdf
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #657
Who8myrice
n00b

Im another happy customer of the Vermont DMV
Who8myrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #658
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
This my friends is a Colorado license plate.
The title will be here in two weeks.

The Colorado title arrived!
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #659
njjane
n00b

bill of sale

does it need to be notorized or do you used the one from vt dmv site? also did u have to pay extra to have them mail it to you. as I see $44 for reg and $30 for tax but nothing else.

njjane screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 02:41 PM
njjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #660
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjane View Post
does it need to be notorized or do you used the one from vt dmv site? also did u have to pay extra to have them mail it to you. as I see $44 for reg and $30 for tax but nothing else.
No and no.

And it doesn't have to be the VT form either, as long as the BOS includes all the information VT requires.
'74 Jialonda XL70/125
www.possumliving.com