ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
trampaslake OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Baja tracks from Canon de Guadelupe to San Felipe?

Howdy all,

Planning a Baja trip for summer and was looking at going to Canon de Guadelupe first. Then wanted to go on south to San Felipe, without going back through Mexicali.

I've read quite a few reports of people doing this but most say they got lost and it took much longer than they had planned.

Anybody got any tracks that show the way?

Thanks in advance.
trampaslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampaslake View Post
Howdy all,

Planning a Baja trip for summer and was looking at going to Canon de Guadelupe first. Then wanted to go on south to San Felipe, without going back through Mexicali.

I've read quite a few reports of people doing this but most say they got lost and it took much longer than they had planned.

Anybody got any tracks that show the way?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry, no tracks. However, I have gotten lost out there and I'll try to use a map image and google earth image to tell you how to get there. If you look at those images, you really shouldn't have a problem.

Getting to Guadalupe Canyon is on all the maps. Basically, head west out of Mexicali on the road to Tecate. There is a left turn lane on the hwy on the western edge of Laguna Salada. Take that. If you start riding up the mountains, you went to far. Last time I was there, there were signs. Leaving Guadalupe is where it is mildly tricky

Here's the Bicimapas map image

Here's the corresponding Google earth image

Follow the roads on the map out onto the dry lakebed (Laguna Salada). There will be tracks running along the western edge and take those - you'll be traveling in a southeasterly direction. Then you aim for the southern edge of the hills in the picture where the dry lakebed hits highway 5 (watch out for the silt filled ruts within a mile of the highway). The tracks will lead you there but those hills on the eastern side of Laguna Salada will give you a good visual clue as to where you are.

After that, I've just slabbed it into town. It's still a fair ways on pavement. There are some turnoffs but I've always been heading farther south and was pressed for time so didn't do those.

Hope that helps. I'll be riding that way in March myself.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
trampaslake OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Thanks bunches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
Sorry, no tracks. However, I have gotten lost out there and I'll try to use a map image and google earth image to tell you how to get there. If you look at those images, you really shouldn't have a problem.

Getting to Guadalupe Canyon is on all the maps. Basically, head west out of Mexicali on the road to Tecate. There is a left turn lane on the hwy on the western edge of Laguna Salada. Take that. If you start riding up the mountains, you went to far. Last time I was there, there were signs. Leaving Guadalupe is where it is mildly tricky

Here's the Bicimapas map image

Here's the corresponding Google earth image

Follow the roads on the map out onto the dry lakebed (Laguna Salada). There will be tracks running along the western edge and take those - you'll be traveling in a southeasterly direction. Then you aim for the southern edge of the hills in the picture where the dry lakebed hits highway 5 (watch out for the silt filled ruts within a mile of the highway). The tracks will lead you there but those hills on the eastern side of Laguna Salada will give you a good visual clue as to where you are.

After that, I've just slabbed it into town. It's still a fair ways on pavement. There are some turnoffs but I've always been heading farther south and was pressed for time so didn't do those.

Hope that helps. I'll be riding that way in March myself.
trampaslake is offline   Reply With Quote