ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2005, 03:30 PM   #1
SarahM OP
n00b
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Oddometer: 9
Where to start off roading?

Howdy ...
I'm in Baltimore, have been riding for four years, but have only ridden road. I'd like to start doing off-road stuff; I've got a Dakar, which I know is far from the ideal bike to start on, but can anyone suggest some places in the Maryland, etc. area where a beginner can get started and hopefully not break their neck? And is there a group here that goes out that tolerates beginners to come along?

Thx!
SarahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:33 PM   #2
CityClip
Upgraded to Scooterdom
 
CityClip's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 843
Nope. No noobs here.





Actually, I'm getting a dirtbike this weekend. I've only ever ridden in dirt once. So, we're going to go riding next weekend. You should come along!
Watch this thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65507

Plus you can PM scorch, he knows everything.
__________________
Yellow 2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
Totally :ymca looking yet totally
CityClip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 04:36 PM   #3
scorch
Poser
 
scorch's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Burtonsville, Maryland
Oddometer: 3,367
Sarah, post a nude picture of yourself, and I might consider helping you out.

seriously, what kind of riding do you want to do? If you just want to ride trails, there are some places that are newbie friendly around here.

You need good knobbies on, and trust me, if you get good knobbies and you rideo n the street, then they will wear out really fast, and will be useless in the dirt, you wont be able to do much more than a few gravel and mud trails here and there.

A good place to start is state forest parks, like greenridge in Maryland, peddlers gap in VA, taskers gap(the less rocky section), the gore, svage water state park, because they are easy to ride, and you dont need alot of skill to ride them.

Tower city in pa is pretty good, a bit rocky, but there are sections that are real easy, even good for a bmw gs.

Let me know when you want to ride, I am riding this weekend if my stuff gets in.

If you dont post any nude pics, at least post some of the bike.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 04:50 PM   #4
Rad
Just me
 
Rad's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Cruz, Calif
Oddometer: 12,160
Start here

MSF Dirt School
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 05:29 PM   #5
Jack90210
mindful
 
Jack90210's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Oddometer: 15,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
A good place to start is state forest parks, like greenridge in Maryland, peddlers gap in VA, taskers gap(the less rocky section), the gore, svage water state park, because they are easy to ride, and you dont need alot of skill to ride them.



Sorry, you're not getting nude pictures of me either.


--another dirt n00b
__________________

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:10 PM   #6
MrE
computer driver
 
MrE's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Northern Virginia, USA
Oddometer: 1,083
Sarah... I haven't ridden much dirt but living in Loudoun County Virginia (Leesburg area) we have TONS of county maintained gravel roads. I have been riding more and more of them on my R1100GS and am thinking about getting a smaller DS or dirt bike and get to riding some real trails/off road.

Come down to the DC moto show (meeting at Fado at 11:30) and meet a bunch of the crew.
__________________
Mike E
Northern VA
'06 R1200GS
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
- Thomas Jefferson
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:51 PM   #7
SarahM OP
n00b
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Oddometer: 9
Hey,

Thanks all for the replies. With regards to the nude pictures, you know what they say at the swimming pool: you first! Nah--let's just leave it at that... But I will come to Fado's on Saturday, sounds like a plan.
SarahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:07 PM   #8
harpoon
Beastly Adventurer
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Out-of-pocket
Oddometer: 2,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahM
Hey,

With regards to the nude pictures, you know what they say at the swimming pool: you first! Nah--let's just leave it at that... But I will come to Fado's on Saturday, sounds like a plan.
Pardon the gutter talk, the farm boys in MD only think about one thing.

There is some very good intermediate riding down here in C'ville and we have occasional access to a farm with some practice trails which are great for a beginner .

Do you have a sister?
__________________
Its alright if you love me, its alright if you don't.

harpoon screwed with this post 01-13-2005 at 08:17 PM
harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:20 AM   #9
Barry
Just Beastly
 
Barry's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Fredericksburg, Va.
Oddometer: 7,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahM
Hey,

Thanks all for the replies. With regards to the nude pictures, you know what they say at the swimming pool: you first! Nah--let's just leave it at that... But I will come to Fado's on Saturday, sounds like a plan.
NOOOOOO!

Do not dare scorchy to post nude pics. He's european and will disrobe at the drop of a hat.

Barry
__________________
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:54 AM   #10
Omi
0o0o0o
 
Omi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Durango, Co
Oddometer: 4,134
Start with dirt/gravel roads and go from there. That way you get comfortable w dirt on yor stock tires. There are plenty of gravle roads in VA if you are willing to ride about two hours to get to them. See you at Fado's.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 07:23 AM   #11
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer
 
AntonLargiader's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Oddometer: 4,132
You can ride the F650 with knobbies, but you're going to be riding it like a street bike because you're worried about dropping it. I would start with something much smaller. The skills you learn on it will transfer to the big bike as you get confident sliding around. You're way better off outgrowing a small bike than trying to grow onto a large one.

The weather here just took a downturn, but at some point do what CityClip did... come on down here for a weekend and borrow a dirtbike. We have a guest cottage that is nearly always unused. If you're tall you can use my XR400 but I'm almost certain you'll want to at least start on Meredith's XR200. The 400 is tall enough that it's too similar to your 650.

BTW this offer is basically open to anyone who isn't an asshole and wants to try a dirt bike. Free! (but maybe some beer or pizza would be nice)
__________________
Anton Largiader largiader.com BMWRA.org
AntonLargiader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 07:25 AM   #12
Omi
0o0o0o
 
Omi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Durango, Co
Oddometer: 4,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader
You can ride the F650 with knobbies, but you're going to be riding it like a street bike because you're worried about dropping it. I would start with something much smaller. The skills you learn on it will transfer to the big bike as you get confident sliding around. You're way better off outgrowing a small bike than trying to grow onto a large one.

The weather here just took a downturn, but at some point do what CityClip did... come on down here for a weekend and borrow a dirtbike. We have a guest cottage that is nearly always unused. If you're tall you can use my XR400 but I'm almost certain you'll want to at least start on Meredith's XR200. The 400 is tall enough that it's too similar to your 650.

BTW this offer is basically open to anyone who isn't an asshole and wants to try a dirt bike. Free! (but maybe some beer or pizza would be nice)
What kind of beer and pizza do you like?
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 07:47 AM   #13
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer
 
AntonLargiader's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Oddometer: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
What kind of beer and pizza do you like?
Definitely, Mellow Mushroom. Best eaten there (I don't know if they even deliver) and they have a pretty nice beer selection!

Hey, we should schedule a C-ville area ADVrider pizza night there!
__________________
Anton Largiader largiader.com BMWRA.org
AntonLargiader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:03 AM   #14
CityClip
Upgraded to Scooterdom
 
CityClip's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader
BTW this offer is basically open to anyone who isn't an asshole and wants to try a dirt bike. Free! (but maybe some beer or pizza would be nice)
I can vouch for this special program.

But, it can make you want to get a dirt bike REAL BAD.
__________________
Yellow 2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
Totally :ymca looking yet totally
CityClip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:29 AM   #15
Omi
0o0o0o
 
Omi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Durango, Co
Oddometer: 4,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityClip
I can vouch for this special program.

But, it can make you want to get a dirt bike REAL BAD.
Too late, I already do. Too bad my truck died and my dirtbike fund went to hell.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014