User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #16
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Carfax for bikes?

Nah. I prefer to look at used bikes and consider their history part of the attraction.

No, no Carfax for bikes. Some things are best left unknown. It adds to the aura of the bike.

Hippy mode: off.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:13 AM   #17
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,027
My mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
I never guarantee anything, my days are generally not planned. If I get up and it's pouring I'll probably not go, but I'm looking on going just the same if it's nice.

In any case, here is the link
http://www.whitehorsegear.com/open-house/
Oh, THAT Whitehorse, as in Press. New Hampshire. Hurricane Mountain Road and all that.

I was thinking Whitehorse, YT, CA to the north of Juneau.

Of course I will make it to Whitehorse, NH.

Heck, I am up for a g/s trip to the other Whitehorse too (I naturally thought about Whitehorse YT because it was [and perhaps still is] a significant weather station. I used data from Whitehorse all the time when I was issuing weather forecasts for the aircrews on alert in their B-52s when I was an active duty WX officer. We can talk about such things now, I hope.)

PS. If you don't know about Hurricane Mountain Road, you have a real treat in store--the best free four miles of paved motorcycling road in NE.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:26 AM   #18
The Raven OP
Banned

Oddometer: 4,811
That's what I thought you thought......No I'll see that one once I leave and make it there. Probably take me most of the summer to get there though. Hell when I do the trans-lab, I'm looking at a month or so just in Labrador. Would like to get on a resupply boat and get as far north as possible and check out the Inuit villages.

Glad to hear You'll come to WH Press. Probably about the only friendly local face I'll see. The maine riders are still tweaked so doubt they'll give me the time of day. I made a couple posts over there for questions and they don't even respond...text book grudge holding Mainers, so typical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordless View Post
Oh, THAT Whitehorse, as in Press. New Hampshire. Hurricane Mountain Road and all that.

I was thinking Whitehorse, YT, CA to the north of Juneau.

Of course I will make it to Whitehorse, NH.

Heck, I am up for a g/s trip to the other Whitehorse too (I naturally thought about Whitehorse YT because it was [and perhaps still is] a significant weather station. I used data from Whitehorse all the time when I was issuing weather forecasts for the aircrews on alert in their B-52s when I was an active duty WX officer. We can talk about such things now, I hope.)

PS. If you don't know about Hurricane Mountain Road, you have a real treat in store--the best free four miles of paved motorcycling road in NE.
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #19
R12Battletub
nooblet

Oddometer: 312
Incidentally, I stumbled on a source for the little green Akront stickers in case anyone wants to do an obsessive restoration.

Bavarian Adventure Motorcycle World
R12Battletub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:09 PM   #20
The Raven OP
Banned

Oddometer: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by R12Battletub View Post
Incidentally, I stumbled on a source for the little green Akront stickers in case anyone wants to do an obsessive restoration.

Bavarian Adventure Motorcycle World
Ordered a set......no not really, but cool that they are available. I may email about the frame stickers.
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #21
ontic

Oddometer: 1,067
Bumping an old thread, started by a banned member...

Anyway, I've just gotten a brand new G/S rear wheel.
It has a Weinmann rim on it.
As I was expecting an Akront rim I went out and checked my old rear wheel/rim- what do you know but it is also a Weinmann rim
So, my 81 G/S apparently came from the factory with a Weinmann rear and an Akront front.

I hope this rim is strong because my old one has good dent in it.
Thoughts?

ontic screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 07:44 PM
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #22
R12Battletub
nooblet

Oddometer: 312
Where did you find that?!
R12Battletub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #23
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,655
I have a new to me Akront I'll swap you. You don't want to go mixing rims as handling could be catastrophic. No problem for me at I have a bastardized Excell laced to a GS front hub.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #24
ontic

Quote:
Originally Posted by R12Battletub View Post
Where did you find that?!
Got lucky. Sitting in a airhead parts supplier warehouse in Germany somehwere, last one he had in stock. Thank you google translate!

The plot somewhat thickens. My old original wheel is a 2.15 18, as it should be for an early bike, before they changed to 2.5 18. This new wheel is also 2.15 18. I suppose this wheel has been sitting on a shelf somewhere for a long long time

here is the stamp on the other side of the rim

and I posted the other shots in the airhead picture thread, but I might as well put them here too

for posterities sake, before I use them, I'll do a good measurement of the brake drum circumference/diameter as I haven't found yet what they are meant to be when brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
I have a new to me Akront I'll swap you. You don't want to go mixing rims as handling could be catastrophic. No problem for me at I have a bastardized Excell laced to a GS front hub.
Sounds good mate, how about I'll pay for both shipping costs to cover you for your time, stress and goodwill.
Oh, hang on, I've got a KTM front wheel, so it is actually no problem for me either.

this was about the only other reference I've found to the Wienmann/Akfront rim difference,
http://2-ventiler.de/vbboard/showthr...einmann-Acront

some German guy said that the Weinmanns are better (concentricity and quality?)! at least I think that is what he said.

ontic screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 05:54 AM
Old 09-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #25
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontic View Post
Got lucky. Sitting in a airhead parts supplier warehouse in Germany somehwere, last one he had in stock. Thank you google translate!

The plot somewhat thickens. My old original wheel is a 2.15 18, as it should be for an early bike, before they changed to 2.5 18. This new wheel is also 2.15 18. I suppose this wheel has been sitting on a shelf somewhere for a long long time

some German guy said that the Weinmanns are better (concentricity and quality?)! at least I think that is what he said.
Yeah, that's old stock. BMW stopped using Weinmann a long time back.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #26
ontic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
Yeah, that's old stock. BMW stopped using Weinmann a long time back.
Yeah, I've tried to do a little more reading. Not a great deal to find... that German thread I linked to talks about Weinmann rims on G/S' and ST's, both front and rear, and with the rear in the early 2.15 and post ST 2.5 sizes...
It seems that Weinmann was in decline at this point and soon to be bankrupt and people tell of many mix and matches between Weinmann and Akront on the same bike.
I simply assumed my old wheel had an Akront rim- the Wienmann logo was so lightly embossed and was pretty much polished out, so I could only recognise it once I had a new example to compare it to.

Aside from pure curiosity, my main question is on the quality of the Weinmann rims. Akront quality, worse, better?
My old one does have a dent in it- though this old wheel has some other damage on the hub too and has obviously had a pretty tough life.

New old stock has a real charm to it.
I think this is where my rim was made. Just like their rims, you can tell it is the Wienmann factory by the barely visible Weinmann logo embossed on the building
Old 09-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #27
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontic View Post

that's beautiful !!!! must be nice have a G/S rear drum with no wear...
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #28
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Weird... I have no idea how a bike with only 50k on it can not only have two different wheels, but also a toasted harness. I would love to know the actual history of these bikes. The rear wheel was probably hit or damaged at some point resulting in a needed replacement. R80, /5 and /6 rims I believe fit the G/S hub.

I think EVERY bike should come with a USB or memory chip and have their entire history embedded on them.

I have no ill feelings towards any PO as they were as probably clueless as I, but for my own knowledge for repair and otherwise a complete picture would be cool.
If it will help,,,I have a couple G/S main harness on the shelf..cheap
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #29
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Greg, I believe Raven has left the building, so to speak. that posting is way over a year old.
I heard he was banned or some such nonsense. At least he claims to have been.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #30
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,655
Raven moved to Horizon's Unlimited Forum,
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 07:23 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote