User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
GypsyWriter OP
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,427
Thick-soled riding boot?

I'm once again in the market for a good riding boot and want one with a nice thick sole to give me a bit more stability at a stop. Every boot i've looked at has a nice heel but under the ball of the feet, where I usually stand at a stop (and need the height most) is lacking. I'm looking for a good touring or mild street boot that has decent lift under the toe area. Any ideas on who to look for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
tinbasher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Boots

Might want to take a look at aersticth combat touring boots. Look like the real deal.
tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,855
Sarahp, here's a nice write-up on some Daytona boots designed to give height:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...dy-star-boots/

I have some of their Roadstars and they are great, but pricey and maybe a bit over-engineered.

There are other boots made for the cruiser market that have higher soles and heels.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
GypsyWriter OP
Sarah

I love the Lady/M-Stars but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Sarahp, here's a nice write-up on some Daytona boots designed to give height:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...dy-star-boots/

I have some of their Roadstars and they are great, but pricey and maybe a bit over-engineered.

There are other boots made for the cruiser market that have higher soles and heels.
Believe me THOSE are my dream boots, but with my feet I'd need the M-Stars (the larger version) and they only go up to a 43 (my EU size). What I've read on the boots they run small, and I'd absolutely hate to shell out $400 for a pair of boots that won't fit. If I could be certain they'd fit I'd gladly lay down the dough but since it seems their availability in the States is VERY limited I don't think I'll find anywhere that'll let me try them on.

TB, thanks for the 'Stich recommendation, I'll look into it.
Quote:
Old 01-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
facetjoint
TONKA

Oddometer: 5,607
May I piggy back on your thread please? I was going to post this exact same thing today myself. I need some ideas also for men's boots The thickest I can get the better. This tippy toe thing on my R1100RT is not a confidence builder.

Thanks Bill
facetjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
GypsyWriter OP
Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by facetjoint View Post
May I piggy back on your thread please? I was going to post this exact same thing today myself. I need some ideas also for men's boots The thickest I can get the better. This tippy toe thing on my R1100RT is not a confidence builder.

Thanks Bill
Lol piggyback away, just try not to pull my hair.
Quote:
Old 01-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
fiep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,933
Alpinestars Lady Star boots
almost an inch for the inseam challenged
fiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 299
My wife has a new lady star with the thick sole, note, it has a raised insole too. We have worn Frey Daytonas for 25 years or more. I have written on here time and again, so I hate to expound, but they are waterproof forever! And ours always fit to our size. Only USA place I know is Helimots. I think he would take them back and definitly exchange. She wears a 5 and the 36 always works and toe wiggle room. Also the lady star is not quite as tall as her previous Travelers, maybe an inch shorter. Hope this helps. BTW, my Trans Opens are 16 years old and in very good condition, and did I say still waterproof.
Allen.
Lucky Explorer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Joe Rocket Meteor boots have a moderately thick sole under them. Much more than my Sidis. Pleasantly surprised with the JR boots -- good ankle protection and a reasonable price.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:39 AM   #10
Hap Hazard
Adv Want a B

Oddometer: 67
I took my boots to a shoe repair shop. For about $90 they increased the sole however much I wanted. One caution; this reduces the amount of room between peg and shifter. Not a problem if shifter is adjustable as it was on 1200GS. I could not use these boots on my K1200RS
Hap Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #11
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
I'm once again in the market for a good riding boot and want one with a nice thick sole to give me a bit more stability at a stop. Every boot i've looked at has a nice heel but under the ball of the feet, where I usually stand at a stop (and need the height most) is lacking. I'm looking for a good touring or mild street boot that has decent lift under the toe area. Any ideas on who to look for?
Don't mean to be too picking, but have you thought of lowering the bike a little rather than wearing platforms.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
I'm once again in the market for a good riding boot and want one with a nice thick sole to give me a bit more stability at a stop. Every boot i've looked at has a nice heel but under the ball of the feet
Keep in mind, heel to ball is usually a fairly fixed value. That is usually footwear has a certain amount of lift under the heel in relation to the ball.

1/4", 1/2", whatever it may be. When it lacks this lift and is flat heel to ball you get some weird things like tripping over your toes, particularly with a lift. Whenever I apply any lift to a sole I always add more to the heel than the ball, and as I go higher under the ball, I go even higher under the heel.

How much build up do you want to have?
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
la's
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I bought my Daytona Boots at Scuderia in SF about a year ago. They are a good group of folks. If you are ever in San Francisco, you may want to try on a pair:
Scuderia West Motorcycle Parts
69 Duboce Avenue, San Francisco, CA(415) 621-7223

la's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #14
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
My touring boots (garne somethingorother) have standard, ~.5" thick soles. My roadrace boots (oxtar tcs-txc-ti-pro or something like that) have very thin hard soles. I've noticed much improved bike feel and shifting with the roadrace boots. I can't imagine how awful the feel and shifting would be with 1.5" platform boots. I'd just hop off to one side when you stop and buy boots that work for riding rather than stopping.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #15
facetjoint
TONKA

Oddometer: 5,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
My touring boots (garne somethingorother) have standard, ~.5" thick soles. My roadrace boots (oxtar tcs-txc-ti-pro or something like that) have very thin hard soles. I've noticed much improved bike feel and shifting with the roadrace boots. I can't imagine how awful the feel and shifting would be with 1.5" platform boots. I'd just hop off to one side when you stop and buy boots that work for riding rather than stopping.
Yes this has to be true. I just do not know where the compromise will be in all this. I certainly don't want a pair of clod hopper plow boy boots. Nor do I want the engineer type Harley boots either. Then to make matters much worse I actually wear a 7.5 EEEE shoe. That's right 4 E's. So mail order is going to be a crap shoot at best even on a good day.
facetjoint is offline   Reply With Quote