Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #106
MotoAdventureGal
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussboy View Post
Subscribed! I am trying to get "The Mrs." to comprehend how far it is up there! What did you end up averaging per day over the 31 day trip? Nice report! Great Pics!
The truth is, even when planning the trip it really didn't sink in exactly HOW FAR is it up there. Then when you ride day after day after day and you still aren't even anywhere NEAR Alaska...it starts hitting you.

I admire the folks that can sit in the saddle for 800 miles per day and bang it out, but all in all for this trip I was happy to go slowly. We were able to have some fun along the way that we'd really missed doing the TAT. We also got along a whole lot better because we weren't pushing ourselves to our limits, either.

My Year of Motorcycle Vagabonding Part B (Solo to South America)
MotoAdventureGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #107
MotoAdventureGal
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesjammer View Post
Q, how are you guys liking the Klim gear. It looks cool.

Steve
Hey Bluesjammer, the Klim gear is the bomb. The adventure suit is really heavy duty, and was perfect for the colder weather. It's got really good venting, yet zips up tight and dry when you are riding in rain. As Q said, we hit 11 days of rain on the way back...and I managed to stay dry except for my feet because *I* did not have Gore-Tex oversox like Q did.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #108
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,056
Day 9: Sunday June 20th, 2010

After hiding in the tent all "night" for 10+ hours, even thought it never really got dark, we packed up and hit the road again. I think we skipped making breakfast due to the bugs.

Who knows what we would see today... I guess that's part of what makes these trips so cool. The days are always different.

Back on the road again.

Nope... These views don't suck.

We stopped at this massive state of the art gas station to fuel our bikes.

But when we went inside to pay for our gas we smelled coffee and baked goods, and stayed to get a bike to eat and warm ourselves.
PIE!

While we were there using the Internet, drinking coffee, and eating Pie this huge RV rig pulled in. I ran outside to take a picture.

A rig like that must get what? 10 MPG? So a 5,000 mile trip would require 500 gallons of fuel at $5 a gallon... that's $2500!!!
Wow. I could supply Tiger with gas and tires for three years on that.
Plus, unlike us who can boondock in sand pits and up abandoned dirt roads, these massive trailers and RV have to stay at campgrounds at $30 a night. WOW...

After eating, we head north again.

One of my favorite Points of View.

Aside from the highway, there is not much up here.

A few buildings along the way.

Another abandoned gas station.

The iconic bridge indicating that we are approaching Teslin.
The Nisutlin Bay Bridge, the longest over water bridge on the highway at (584m), spans an arm of Teslin Lake.

While we stopped we met another rider on a big GS.
I had a bike just like this that I named "Beastie". I miss it. It sure was comfortable.

Here's a picture of the store at Teslin..

Looking back over the Nisutlin Bay Bridge we crossed, with moose and Caribou statues.

Still riding... headed to Whitehorse...

Teslin Lake.

Have I mentioned that the roads were straight and long?

Finally we get to Whitehorse.
We stopped to get more ingredients for GLORP, and motor oil for the bikes.

But after being in the wilderness, by ourselves for so many days, I began to freak out. I had to get out of there.

We had been seeing signs for Takhini Hot Springs and made that our destination for the night, just a few miles up the road.

It turns out that Takhini Hot Springs is a full developed and commercial establishment, with all the associated fees.
But we were tired and gave in. We payed the exorbitant fee for the privilege to sleep on the ground.

We set up camp...

Had a beer...

and went looking for a soaking pool that was not a swimming pool infested with yelling children.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a total misanthrope, it's just that I...
Well... actually, now that I think about it... I'm not really... Well, let's just say I prefer smaller groups of people.
(Hmmm. This is interesting. I'll have to think about this more...)

We asked this guy if he knew of some place downstream.

Well, it turns out that the runoff from the big swimming pool goes down a little stream.

SCORE!

We defeated "The System" again!

So much better.

After a good soaking, we head back to Camp Snuggly and have dinner.

Stats for the Day:
255 Miles Moving Average 56.1 Moving Time 4:32 Stopped 4:52 Total 9:25

Q~

Questor screwed with this post 02-07-2011 at 12:09 PM
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #109
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,725
Fantastic RR.. Perfect timing, DP just finished one about Best of the West, and now a great AK report. I can survive another month of snow and cold.
Great pics and story!
Hoping to ride up there in 2012. Will definitely take that mosquito doohicky with me. I was in boundary waters a few years ago.. Still remember the roaring sound off in the woods in the early evening, then darkness, you could not be out of the tent..

Thanks again. I'm subscribed

Jeff
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #110
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,786
which model mefo tires are you guys getting those high mileages out of??
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #111
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,758
Tires......While I am posting... I am enjoying your RR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
Hey Mark.

I put the fresh Mefo SE on Tiger for the Alaska Trip. It easily survived the entire 6K trip, and still has about 3K miles to go, and I have not been easy on it.
Between the late trail braking, and the power roosts coming out of corners and leaving parking lots it's still holding up well.
Actually MAG told me to stop roosting in the gas station parking lots.
I accidentally threw a rock and broke her headlight as we left Frog Station in BC.

For 50 / 50 riding the Mefo SE is my favorite rear tire.
Q~
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
which model mefo tires are you guys getting those high mileages out of??
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #112
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,786
thanks..I did not catch the the SE's were the Explorer tires.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/4810/765/

And look who is starring in the video.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #113
Liberia
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
Great report so far

Thanks for a great report so far. You guys are much tougher than I am. My brother lives in Wasilla and we've flown ourselves up before but never been there on bikes.

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #114
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
thanks..I did not catch the the SE's were the Explorer tires.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/4810/765/

And look who is starring in the video.
I saw that, and am really enjoying this RR so far. Great job and epic ride

MAG, what publication do you write for? Always nice to know a little about the author and to have an idea that motorcycle pub writers know of what they speak, which you obviously do.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:16 AM   #115
JRMosley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
The gentleman on the Africa Twin was riding from the tip of S. America to Prudhoe Bay...and didn't get to finish the trip. I spoke to him near Tok, AK and a few days later read the news about him being airlifted out...I believe he was on gravel heading to Prudhoe when he crashed. Sorry to drop a bomb like this with no backup info, but searching for the news article isn't bringing anything up...it doesn't help that he had very broken english when I spoke to him, so not entirely sure where he was from...I did get that he really loved his Africa Twin though :)

JRMosley screwed with this post 02-07-2011 at 06:54 AM
JRMosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:12 AM   #116
MotoAdventureGal
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMosley View Post
The gentleman on the Africa Twin was riding from the tip of S. America to Prudhoe Bay...and didn't get to finish the trip. I spoke to him near Tok, AK and a few days later read the news about him being airlifted out...I believe he was on gravel heading to Prudhoe when he crashed. Sorry to drop a bomb like this with no backup info, but searching for the news article isn't bringing anything up...it doesn't help that he had very broken english when I spoke to him, so not entirely sure where he was from...I did get that he really loved his Africa Twin though :)
That was his riding buddy that crashed. He told us the story when we met. I can't find his info at the moment, but if I have a link to his website on my laptop I'll post it here. We exchanged info.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #117
MotoAdventureGal
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
I saw that, and am really enjoying this RR so far. Great job and epic ride

MAG, what publication do you write for? Always nice to know a little about the author and to have an idea that motorcycle pub writers know of what they speak, which you obviously do.
Thanantos, I'm freelance, so I've been published in a few...I've written for RoadBike, WomenRidersNow.com, Backroads, Friction Zone, and have articles coming out in Adventure Rider Magazine and Adventure Motorcycling Dual Sport News and hopefully two others soon as well if they accept my queries. Also have a column on RumBum.com called "Have Bike, Will Travel".

Q does the RRs so well and likes it so much, he gets to do most of the ADVrider posting. We're a good team, I think, because he focuses on the details while I focus on, well, in this case, he got to do practically everything . I was still in SA when he was planning this trip. I wanted to ride with him but I was *whooped*. I'd been on the road for a year and a half with no break after our Outer Banks-Keys-Smokies, TAT and CDT rides.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #118
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,598
Good to know. I'll look for you in the mags and you've given me some good ideas for moto-related blogs to read (always looking).

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #119
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,298
I just tuned back into this thread and it brought up pictures of the the cool "Singing Bridge" at Teslin. In 2009 on our return trip, we camped at the motel / campground adjoining the bridge (as shown in your pic) and listened to the music all night.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #120
MotoAdventureGal
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
I just tuned back into this thread and it brought up pictures of the the cool "Singing Bridge" at Teslin. In 2009 on our return trip, we camped at the motel / campground adjoining the bridge (as shown in your pic) and listened to the music all night.
Hi Timmer!

That bridge was fun with knobbies!